PDA

View Full Version : Better Brakes

Black04si
11-05-2010, 11:15 AM
ok i have a question is there anything that will swap over from one of the other hondas that is better then the stock brakes on an 04 cause i think they suck royally on my last car i could just pull the calipers from a corvette and the bolted right up so i was wondering i don't want to drop a few grand in the brakes at this point i just want some that are a little better :vtec:

socmex7
11-05-2010, 11:40 AM
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?56647-DD-and-track-car-setup&highlight=big+brake+kits

this thread talks about different pad/brake fluids.. this information, and many threads like it were found within 5 minutes of basic searching.. use that function next time. there's a lot of information already here on the site, no need for a new thread every time. :thumbu:

bottom line is that bigger brakes won't guarantee better stopping power. they are just better equipped for distributing the heat that is generated in braking. upgrading WHAT you're stopping with, like pad compound and such, will help you more than throwing parts at it. the reason the corvette brakes stop on a dime has to do with what they are made of, and they;re big so there's more surface area to cool after stopping your vette from 100mph. /rant

Hasbro
11-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Search for RSX S and RSX R and Brembo brakes.

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
11-05-2010, 12:46 PM
You can get some pretty good stopping power using Hawk HPS pads some new blanks and ss lines. If you wanna swap out for bigger breaks go with what hasbro said. RSX-S breaks will fit ep's but you need the calipers i am not sure if you need the knuckles for the calipers to fit.

talonXracer
11-05-2010, 01:10 PM
The typeS brakes are awesome, the stock weaksauce brakes are fine for grand ma and 1 hard stop, but get into the backroads and they are toasted within minutes.

The typeS brakes do not require new knuckles at all! The brackets bolt right on the EP3 knuckles

I just took a set of junkyard specials(free) in for cores on a set of re-manufactured typeS calipers, they cost 75$ each and includes the brackets, purchased a set of typeS rotors(50$ each) and will get a set of EBC reds. So the cost of the parts was only 250$ for typeS brakes, I cant add in the cost of the pads as they are a wash, EP3 to DC5 for the most part.

Black04si
11-05-2010, 04:12 PM
sounds like thats what i need to do these brakes just fade out to fast for me i live in the country and thats what i do is drive alot of curvy backraods

talonXracer
11-05-2010, 04:25 PM
Luckily you already have a 5 lug, if you didnt you would have had to swap the hubs out as well. The rears are the same exact brakes, so a decent set of pads is all that is needed to work well. It is suggested to swap the propo valve out as well for the typeS one(though I havnt). Don't forget the teflon lined SS lines and a jug of ATE SuperBlue

kai-wun
11-08-2010, 11:21 AM
There's also fastbrakes.

If you want a low-cost (temp) solution - I'd say get Centric blanks, Hawk HPS pads, and ATE SuperBlue fluid. At the very least, the fronts.

Oh ,and cut the splash shields.

Larger brakes allow you better fade resistance.

LLH
11-08-2010, 11:32 AM
type-s/Ep3 type r (300mm) brakes, ferrodo DS2500, fresh honda Dot4 fluid twice a year. It works for me :)

If you want a better pedal feeling throw in some SS braided lines too.

Or you can buy a set og hawk HP pads and try them first and learn how much of it that is in the pad.. The hawks scared the shit out of me on a trackday, and they need a stop or two to work propperly. the ferrod DS2500 dosent need those two stops to work propperly and they dont fade on me like the hawks did. Im yet to find out how thay take on road salt.. the hawks got glaced as fcuk from the road salt..

The ferrodos Ds2500 are 145$ or something for a set, only downside is that you need to use some more money on a proper wheel cleaner.. as the dust waay more than the hawks..