PDA

View Full Version : new alternator keeps blowing fuse

EastCoastKing
11-06-2010, 07:06 AM
my alternator went on roadtrip. when i got the car home i changed it with oem style. now when i move the car it blows the fuse and drains the battery, plus battery light will not go off. any suggestions?

AKEP
11-07-2010, 01:44 AM
make sure your battery is still good. take it to the autozone or whatever and have them test both the alt and the battery. if either are bad it will just kill the other (eventually).

is the alternator you put on the original or what? need more info.

Edit: you will have to remove the alt from the car, might as well take the battery too.

ezep3
11-07-2010, 05:37 AM
The voltage regulator in the alternator is bad, take back and get a new one, the batt I probably draining since the alternator fuse is going off the car runs on batt power till it completely loses charge.

talonXracer
11-07-2010, 06:00 AM
Take the battery with you and have it checked, more than once I have seen a bad battery take out the alternator, change the alternator and again the battery takes it out, then the owner tries the battery and the bad alternator takes it out, a vicious circle that wasnt corrected till both are swapped out.

EastCoastKing
11-07-2010, 07:36 AM
alt and battery are new. the car starts and runs while it sits in neutral and then when i put it in gear and go the fuse for the alt blows.

ezep3
11-07-2010, 08:02 AM
alt and battery are new. the car starts and runs while it sits in neutral and then when i put it in gear and go the fuse for the alt blows.

The faster an alternator spins the more voltage is induced. Alternators produce voltage by breaking lines of magnetic flux that consequently produce the voltage, the faster the alternator spins, the more lines are broken and this creates the voltage. If the voltage regulator is bad it'll let more than 12-14v out and fry your fuse, wiring etc.

talonXracer
11-07-2010, 09:08 AM
Where did you get the battery and alternator from? take them back and have the alternator checked again