PDA

View Full Version : How do I prevent my shift boot from sliding down on my shift knob

JTOHO
11-06-2010, 10:42 AM
My type r shift boot keeps sliding down on my shift knob. What do I need to do to keep it up right against my aftermarket shift knob"?

McTaggart34
11-06-2010, 07:32 PM
I went to my local Rona's ( Like Home depot or Lowe's) brought the knob in with me and found out the thread pitch, size and ect. I bought two bolts and a couple washers. I put the bolt under the shift boot with one washer on top and the two bolts under locked into each other. Adjust shift boot height accordingly.

That's what I did may or may not work for you only about 4 bucks in part. But if it works it gets rid of a lot of aggravations

usedep3
11-06-2010, 09:03 PM
jdm shift boot, acura rsx shift boot adapter (discontinued), crsx shift boot adapter, oem shifter base bushing, tape. these are some of your options or just get creative

username011
11-06-2010, 09:57 PM
He already has a type-r shift boot.

I dont know what to say, they are all like that. I dont mind it really. Before I just wrapped a bunch of tape under the knob inside the boot to hold it up but than it pinched my hand when I was shifting so the gap prevents that which I am sure was as Honda intended.

Passenger
11-06-2010, 10:18 PM
Unscrew the knob, take the boot off, screw the knob on as far down as you want, wrap ducttape around it kinda thick then unscrew the knob off and put everything back on. It'll hold up real close to the knob and look a lot better.
Your welcome :bow:

jeenyusss
11-07-2010, 03:48 AM
i used a small (1/2") cut piece of hose around the size of the shifter piece. idk what size but make sure its on there tight and adjust what height you wanit it at and it will stay. idk if im making sense to you ha

POOPTOOTH
11-07-2010, 06:22 AM
Electrical tape FTW

JTOHO
11-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Unscrew the knob, take the boot off, screw the knob on as far down as you want, wrap ducttape around it kinda thick then unscrew the knob off and put everything back on. It'll hold up real close to the knob and look a lot better.
Your welcome :bow:

haha thanks it worked great

SkareKrow
02-01-2011, 01:29 PM
Rubber bands! 8^) But I think Im going to try the
I went to my local Rona's ( Like Home depot or Lowe's) brought the knob in with me and found out the thread pitch, size and ect. I bought two bolts and a couple washers. I put the bolt under the shift boot with one washer on top and the two bolts under locked into each other. Adjust shift boot height accordingly.

That's what I did may or may not work for you only about 4 bucks in part. But if it works it gets rid of a lot of aggravations method. Except I might have to re-read that once more lol!

BeaterEP
02-02-2011, 07:59 AM
I used the little collar piece that came with the BCSS...did some test fitting, then with the boot off, turned that down to where it needed to be. Boot goes over top, and knob on last.
Nice, tight, consistent fit, and the collar acts as a nice locknut to prevent the knob from turning too far.
:thumbu:

SkareKrow
02-02-2011, 01:01 PM
I used the little collar piece that came with the BCSS...did some test fitting, then with the boot off, turned that down to where it needed to be. Boot goes over top, and knob on last.
Nice, tight, consistent fit, and the collar acts as a nice locknut to prevent the knob from turning too far.
:thumbu:

Very nice, Im on my lunch at work right now, I am going to try and do the "McTaggart34" right now, Ill take pictures. 8ˆ)

03civichatch
02-02-2011, 01:35 PM
twisty tie ftmfw

emsep
02-02-2011, 03:16 PM
i used zip ties, had it like that for almost five years.

Jmage
02-02-2011, 05:25 PM
i used zip ties, had it like that for almost five years.

Pic of this? lol zip ties ftw!

Also there is many way of doing it but by reading most people post on this subject, the popular way to do it is with tape :P

sLiCk
02-02-2011, 08:58 PM
Get two nuts that fit the shifter lever. Remove knob and boot. Thread the two nuts to where you want the knob to sit and then lock them together. Stack a washer or two on top. Reinstall boot and tighten knob.

SkareKrow
02-04-2011, 01:38 AM
My homeboy taught me this!
He is on here Credits go to him for teaching me.
nmysiismyn (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/member.php?5008-nmysiismyn)
Credits go to me for showing and taking quick pics and doing it.

Step 1/Picture 1
Get a rubber band or hair tie, (I have long hair)
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_nPsSmdo6l10/TUsO45hXMJI/AAAAAAAAAkc/NLh0Q2CYyDs/s640/IMAG0497.jpg

Step 2/Picture 2
Pop out the shift boot things and make sure you undo the Shift Knob, and just add some tiny little washers you can buy them at Lowes/Home Depot. Shove them in the Knob they should fit right in Twist it all the way through. Adjust as needed.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_nPsSmdo6l10/TUsOpn6iOKI/AAAAAAAAAkQ/WZKlb_j-c5w/s640/IMAG0498.jpg

Step 3/Picture 3
Here is the Hair Tie Wrapped around the shifter.
It will hold for quite a while but plan on doing it again. But that is a simple quick way. Don't forget Adjust as needed.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_nPsSmdo6l10/TUsOZaBMtlI/AAAAAAAAAkM/5iwRHngkqOs/s640/IMAG0499.jpg

Thats all there is to it! Something really simple. I could have gotten a bit more detailed with it but I was on a tight lunch schedule.
Thanks again to:::
nmysiismyn (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/member.php?5008-nmysiismyn):::

nmysiismyn
02-05-2011, 04:01 AM
OP... All these ideas will work. Just dig within to find your inner ghetto.

My homeboy taught me this!
He is on here Credits go to him for teaching me.
nmysiismyn (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/member.php?5008-nmysiismyn)
Credits go to me for showing and taking quick pics and doing it.

Get a rubber band or hair tie, (I have long hair)
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_nPsSmdo6l10/TUsO45hXMJI/AAAAAAAAAkc/NLh0Q2CYyDs/s640/IMAG0497.jpg

Pop out the shift boot things and make sure you undo the Shift Knob, and just add some tiny little washers you can buy them at Lowes/Home Depot. Shove them in the Knob they should fit right in Twist it all the way through. Adjust as needed.
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_nPsSmdo6l10/TUsOpn6iOKI/AAAAAAAAAkQ/WZKlb_j-c5w/s640/IMAG0498.jpg

Here is the Hair Tie Wrapped around the shifter.
It will hold for quite a while but plan on doing it again. But that is a simple quick way. Don't forget Adjust as needed.
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_nPsSmdo6l10/TUsOZaBMtlI/AAAAAAAAAkM/5iwRHngkqOs/s640/IMAG0499.jpg

Thats all there is to it! Something really simple. I could have gotten a bit more detailed with it but I was on a tight lunch schedule.
Thanks again to:::
nmysiismyn (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/member.php?5008-nmysiismyn):::

LOL.

Due to the material, I'm sure rubber bands grip/hold WAY better than a hair tie homie. I used like ten of 'em.
That... and you've got to at least take the knob off! :tehe:

...It will hold for quite a while but plan on doing it again...

I've never had to adjust mine.

SkareKrow
02-05-2011, 03:16 PM
OP... All these ideas will work. Just dig within to find your inner ghetto.

LOL.

Due to the material, I'm sure rubber bands grip/hold WAY better than a hair tie homie. I used like ten of 'em.
That... and you've got to at least take the knob off! :tehe:

I've never had to adjust mine.
So now you making fun of me for having long hair. LoL I heard you did also. Sorry I dont have rubberbands I have hair rubber ties lol. Anyways I gave you credit:gheywa: +Plus I did remove the shift knob lol. :gheyf:thanks again for showing me :werd::focus:

holepunch
02-09-2011, 09:21 AM
You guys are doing this all wrong.
1. go to hardware store, buy rubber grommet that fits the shaft tight
2. trim nubs off of shifter boot after removing stupid chrome plastic piece
3. insert boot into rubber grommet groove, adjust height as necessary
http://images.grainger.com/B326_24/images/products/250x250/Rubber-Grommet-3MPK5_AL01.JPG

BeaterEP
02-09-2011, 09:36 AM
That's not bad! So you just replaced the "chrome" cap on the boot with the grommet, I take it?

nmysiismyn
02-09-2011, 10:42 AM
You guys are doing this all wrong.

My method looks great and has worked perfectly for many years...
Maybe it's just me, but isn't saying, "we're all doing it wrong" quite the arrogant statement?
I mean... there's a shi-ton ways of doing this that'll work just fine, no?

I just chimed-in because I was mentioned and given credit for "my method"- even though "my method" didn't envolve a CTR shift boot at all...
I imagine it'd work just about the same though...

I'm not bent at all. Just saying...

Also...
I have no idea how this would work with the CTR boot (I doubt it would), but Skarekrow forgot to mention that I flipped the chrome/plastic piece upside down- re-attaching the round/plastic clip from under the rubber/accordian boot. You can at least see the chrome piece in his pic...

I only mention this because I'm intersted in seeing a pic of what it all looks like without the chrome/plastic piece at all.
Can you upload a pic for us?

mAtAs2U
02-09-2011, 02:11 PM
Zip Tie !

holepunch
02-09-2011, 03:04 PM
That's not bad! So you just replaced the "chrome" cap on the boot with the grommet, I take it?

Yes, and since the boot is rubber and the grommet is rubber it looks clean.

holepunch
02-09-2011, 03:06 PM
My method looks great and has worked perfectly for many years...
Maybe it's just me, but isn't saying, "we're all doing it wrong" quite the arrogant statement?
I mean... there's a shi-ton ways of doing this that'll work just fine, no?

I was just being facetious, don't take it personal

Can you upload a pic for us?

Yes, I will take one and post up again.

Supaduck
02-09-2011, 03:35 PM
i personally just used electrical tape taped around the shifter at desired height, put the boot over that and it just stuck over that. i guess if i took off the book it wouldnt be the prettiest thing int he world but the entire boot covers it, looks as good any any other.

nmysiismyn
02-10-2011, 02:21 PM
I was just being facetious, don't take it personal

I already mentioned that I'm not bent... I was simply pointing out uneccesary arrougancy... but thanks for advice!
Everyone appreciates input, but that would've been quite a constructive post without the pomposity.

Take it for what is... or don't.
I'm just trying to help- for your sake and the sake of the rest of us.

Yes, I will take one and post up again.

Thank you.

holepunch
02-11-2011, 08:07 AM
Here are some pics of the grommet method. Shift knob is a Rigid.

4709 4710

nmysiismyn
02-11-2011, 09:42 AM
It looks better than I imagined.
http://i830.photobucket.com/albums/zz228/Tommy_Castroreale/EPHatch/50d2b8d8.png

holepunch
02-11-2011, 10:19 AM
Of course it does!

/arrogancy

BlueCTSi
02-27-2011, 05:58 PM

Wow the fitting on that came out perfect. Do you by any chance have the part number, brand or a picture of the packaging. Otherwise Im going to have to spend hours at the local hardware store looking for one that fits that perfect. Thanks for posting the idea!

rd02SiR
02-27-2011, 06:30 PM
i used electrical tape. just wrapped it enough times to make a "stopper" to prevent it from sliding down. works like a charm, cost $.05 and took 3 minutes.

ImportCustomx
02-28-2011, 08:37 AM
this is not a how to...someone can make a how to and then post it in the how to.

please post in the correct spot. post in interior for a question like this.

Jukka
02-28-2011, 09:50 AM
another option is using small plumbing o-rings. Its what i used on my old shift boot and on my girlfriends car. Buy a multipack from a hardwear store for like $1 and choose what size works for you.

SkareKrow
02-28-2011, 11:06 AM
another option is using small plumbing o-rings. Its what i used on my old shift boot and on my girlfriends car. Buy a multipack from a hardwear store for like $1 and choose what size works for you.
your mos def right about this method as well since I just realized there is a ton of o rings at work. All I do is apartment maintenance. Lol. Nice one!

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using TapaTalk!

krod
03-01-2011, 07:15 AM
I used a big zip tie put it right where the shifter gets wider under the threads then threaded shift knob on until it stopped be working fine so far just make sure you tighten the crap out of it so it doesnt slid down the shifter after you reinstall it.