PDA

View Full Version : wheel bearing?

The new Paul03
11-06-2010, 12:59 PM
Well I got my new clutch in and there is a whineing noise comeing from the rear driverside of the car. Sound increases with speed. I was thinking wheel bearing. Do you have to buy the whole hub assembly or just the bearing and how hard is it to do?

talonXracer
11-06-2010, 02:05 PM
I think it is a 1 piece unit IIRC, does the whine go away or get louder when making a turn at speed? Bad bearings will always change the noise they make when in a turn, if the noise is constant then take a look at your brakes as well before changing the hub. Also there should be some evident play in the wheel, jack up and secure the vehicle, grab a rear tire at the top and bottom and try rocking the wheel, a bad bearing will usually show itself.

The new Paul03
11-07-2010, 05:46 PM
It does not seem to change going around corners. It just gets louder with speed. The brakes seem fine. When I remove the wheel everything seems to spin freely no unusual tight spots or wobbling. It might just do it under the load of the car though?

15000rpms
11-07-2010, 06:20 PM
if it comes from the rear, turning might not make it go away. Does your car vibrate at those speed? Wheel bearing took me three days. Use a torque driver to get the screws from the hub out and not a regular drill and screw. It requires a hydralic tool that presses out the bearing. Using the torque driver and knowing someone with the hydralic press will allow you to finish it in one day. And source the parts first and if doing the front, it'll be a good time to change your lower ball joints and honda only sells the whole hub assembly which is around 300. And don't buy autozone ball joints cuz they are shorter than the oem ones. I got mine from oriellys. I took mine and compared it.

smykhaisouk
11-08-2010, 10:38 AM
hey before you throw on a new wheel bearing, try rotating your tires and see if the noies moves where the rear tires are moved too. if it does then your tires might be to blame. i had the same noise and it sounded like a wheel bearing but it turned out to be flat spots on the edge of the tires. my noise would start to whine between 30-40mph and get louder from there.

talonXracer
11-08-2010, 10:46 AM
if it comes from the rear, turning might not make it go away. Does your car vibrate at those speed? Wheel bearing took me three days. Use a torque driver to get the screws from the hub out and not a regular drill and screw. It requires a hydralic tool that presses out the bearing. Using the torque driver and knowing someone with the hydralic press will allow you to finish it in one day. And source the parts first and if doing the front, it'll be a good time to change your lower ball joints and honda only sells the whole hub assembly which is around 300. And don't buy autozone ball joints cuz they are shorter than the oem ones. I got mine from oriellys. I took mine and compared it.

Not the rear bearings, they are integral to the hubs, they are completely bolton. 181$ on-line

RHCP0801
11-08-2010, 10:47 AM
yea rear wheel bearings should take no more than about 10-15 mins to put on with the proper tools

The new Paul03
11-09-2010, 09:42 AM
are the rear hubs the same on a 04

RHCP0801
11-09-2010, 09:44 AM
yes, they are

talonXracer
11-09-2010, 09:49 AM
are the rear hubs the same on a 04

No the hubs are not, i am assuming you have a 03' from your screen name, 02'-03'=4lug, 04'+=5lug

RHCP0801
11-09-2010, 10:00 AM
i didnt even catch that

Mattlikespeople
11-26-2010, 02:19 PM
Dont want to start a new thread but I need to replace my from passenger side wheel bearing. Could I save my self $150 and only buy the bearing and get it pressed in? Would a bad bearing cause damage to the hub assembly? Also, would this be the right part? http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Wheel-Bearing-Front/2003-Honda-Civic-SI/_/N-jktudZ6o23s?counter=1&itemIdentifier=95368_0_1651_