PDA

View Full Version : Selling my EP

mobomelter
11-06-2010, 05:29 PM
So the time has come to sell my EP. :( anyways I have a buyer who wants to buy it with a cashiers check but he's out of state and doesn't have a bank in state so I can't go with him to get the check. It doesn't feel like a scam because he's not asking a third party to pick it up or some other obvious scam shit. Should I be worried?

Garrett
11-06-2010, 06:00 PM
I mean to be honest i would, i had someone offer me a cashiers check for my exhaust, took it to the bank to verify it.. They looked at it for 10 minutes and told me it was for sure fake. Saved myself from getting scammed

mobomelter
11-06-2010, 06:09 PM
Yeah thats why I'm afraid to do it. I want to sell the car but don't want to take the risk. I'd like to think someone wouldn't try to steal a car like that but you never know.

widebodyeg
11-06-2010, 06:35 PM
on something like this i would only take cash

mobomelter
11-06-2010, 06:48 PM
on something like this i would only take cash

Yeah but it's hard to convince someone to bring 7k in cash with them.

Garrett
11-06-2010, 07:25 PM
Haha very true, tell him that his check has to clear at your bank before he will get the keys for the car. Or tell him to meet you at your bank so if it is a fake he will bail.

mobomelter
11-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Haha very true, tell him that his check has to clear at your bank before he will get the keys for the car. Or tell him to meet you at your bank so if it is a fake he will bail.

Yeah I just told him cash only. I'll probably lose a buyer but who doesn't bank with a bank that is nationwide ugh.

Guardian
11-06-2010, 07:48 PM
Yeah but it's hard to convince someone to bring 7k in cash with them.

Cash is king, if they don't have it tell them to piss off.

If someone is really going to buy it they will come with cash or go to the bank with you, if not they are dicking you.

02TWSI
11-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Man, none of my friends will buy/sell cars with checks...cash ONLY.....

Lots of fraud happens, don't become another sucker. If he wants the car, he'll come with cash and a friend simple as that.

usedep3
11-06-2010, 08:37 PM
tell him to wire you the cash via online bank to bank wire transfer. that's how i bought my car. it offers piece of mind @ a cost of $0-$25 depending on your banks. funds will be almost immediatly available depending on the two bank. i prepared the wire transfer and then wired the cash as soon as the seller signed the leased. it was $10 well spent for piece of mind. GLWS

Guardian
11-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Wire transfer is a huge scam. Cash only I'm pro at this shit!

jeenyusss
11-07-2010, 03:50 AM
id rather loose a buyer then a car/7k

EPSU3
11-07-2010, 08:01 AM
I sold my last car via certified check. The lady took out a loan from the bank and her bank sent the check over to my bank. Check cleared then title was changed. Straight cash is kind of shady. It's nice, but kind of shady. I want everything to be as over the table and by the book as possible so if there are any problems there is a proper paper trail.

talonXracer
11-07-2010, 09:13 AM
I sold my last car via certified check. The lady took out a loan from the bank and her bank sent the check over to my bank. Check cleared then title was changed. Straight cash is kind of shady. It's nice, but kind of shady. I want everything to be as over the table and by the book as possible so if there are any problems there is a proper paper trail.

WTF???? cash is not shady at all! It is THE ONLY sure way to know you are not getting boned(short of the purchaser using the same bank as you)! Cash is below the table, not by the book? Yowzza!

Calvinep3
11-07-2010, 09:24 AM
I work at a bank =)
cashiers checks are not always shady..but cash is more reliable...the only way to check that the check is real, is to go to the bank that the cashiers check was made out of...for example for a cashiers check is form chase than go to chase and they can verify if its real and if its been cashed already...if u cant go to the bank then dont take it bro.

mobomelter
11-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Turns on the guy is legit anyways I told him cash only and he had no issues with it. Still I wouldn't accept a check from a bank when I wasn't there when it was made.

kprocivic
11-07-2010, 11:53 AM
i also work for a bank and every car i bought was cash. cashiers checks are good to just go to the bank and verify it first. i prolly will only do cashiers checks now because carrying large amounts of cash tends to make me paranoid. if you can't verify the cashiers check first then don't do it, but cashiers checks are safer than cash in my opinion.

mobomelter
11-07-2010, 07:46 PM
i also work for a bank and every car i bought was cash. cashiers checks are good to just go to the bank and verify it first. i prolly will only do cashiers checks now because carrying large amounts of cash tends to make me paranoid. if you can't verify the cashiers check first then don't do it, but cashiers checks are safer than cash in my opinion.

I agree with you on the safer than cash, for the buyer, but I can't be sure of how safe it is as the seller. His bank isn't nationwide so I can't check it in Delaware when I sell the car here. Turns out he wants the car bad enough to bring me cash anyways.

kprocivic
11-07-2010, 07:58 PM
nice so have you found a scooby snack yet or still looking.

Tnhatch03
11-07-2010, 09:41 PM
sounds like a scam.

mobomelter
11-08-2010, 08:00 AM
nice so have you found a scooby snack yet or still looking.

It's pretty damn difficult to be honest. People think throwing a boost gauge and a short shifter make the car worth an extra 2k. I found a couple of reasonable ones but they are over 4 hours away and I can't get a good hold of the person selling. So hard to find a local one.

smykhaisouk
11-08-2010, 10:04 AM
make sure the bills are legit. you might find some 500 dollar bills in there if you're not careful. i still would opt for certified funds thru money gram or wester union. he can pay them with a check, debit, or cash and they can deal w counterfeit money if it comes to it.

mobomelter
11-08-2010, 10:29 AM
make sure the bills are legit. you might find some 500 dollar bills in there if you're not careful. i still would opt for certified funds thru money gram or wester union. he can pay them with a check, debit, or cash and they can deal w counterfeit money if it comes to it.

I think the likelihood of a school teacher from Delaware having the time to counterfeit 100 dollar bills is very low. Besides we are meeting at my bank to do the deposit right there. I'm not too worried about it.

Manny Kid 15
11-08-2010, 11:02 AM
you could have always gone the paypal ways also and just had him send you the money as a personal gift

mobomelter
11-08-2010, 12:39 PM
you could have always gone the paypal ways also and just had him send you the money as a personal gift

Yeah I don't trust paypal farther than I can throw it. No way I'd trust such a large payment to them. Really cash is the safest method.

kprocivic
11-08-2010, 09:53 PM
if there were some 500 dollar bills in there that were real, mobomelter would be balling cause they are worth more than their face value.

mobomelter
11-10-2010, 11:27 AM
if there were some 500 dollar bills in there that were real, mobomelter would be balling cause they are worth more than their face value.

Haha more like crying about all the money I lost. Side note I think I'm going to pay for my scooby in 5's just for fun.

Rasy
11-10-2010, 01:26 PM
I went with my brother and I out of state to get an S2000, and the guy wouldn't take any payment except for cashier's check. He was just as skeptical as we were, but it's smart to be on the safe side and leave a paper trail. I know I wouldn't want to carry thousands of dollars in cash.

Ep3 ked
11-10-2010, 02:38 PM
ScAm!

mobomelter
11-10-2010, 07:05 PM
He ended up trying to switch to a cashiers check again and I told him I wouldn't take it. He then got offended saying he had great eBay feedback and backed out. I would gladly take a cashiers check if I could go to the bank with my buyer and watch them make it. People are so annoying. I'm not trusting a check for so much money when I can see it being made.

jerryscherry
11-12-2010, 09:52 PM
get cash or paypal then xfer the money to ure bank b4 u transfer., There are lot of fake cashier checks out there. i work at a bank xD

mobomelter
11-13-2010, 12:33 PM
get cash or paypal then xfer the money to ure bank b4 u transfer., There are lot of fake cashier checks out there. i work at a bank xD

Yeah I'm doing it through escrow.com since the buyer lives in MA and wants it shipped. Easy and smooth.