PDA

View Full Version : Are performance tires generally louder...

SBC31
07-17-2002, 01:43 PM
I have some Ultra High Performance Dunlops's SP Sport FM901 and they do make more noice then the original Michelin tires when rolling at high speed. If so is this due to the size being different (less of a side wall) since I habe 17" ones now. The tires themselves are excellent for handling and all.

Sorry for the dumb question, I just figured I would get a good answer for any passenger(s) in my car that asks me in the future.

Sooky
07-17-2002, 01:54 PM
its not the tires usually.... its that u got bigger rims will make more/louder road noise....

IceD out N CALI
07-17-2002, 03:35 PM
YES

DynaSpeed
07-17-2002, 03:48 PM
Yes, generally all "high-performance" tires have louder resonance because of the increased contact patch and how it hits the ground. This is an on-going issue with high-performance cars coming with them as stock since the dawn of time. (ok, since high-performance cars came with high-performance rubber) For example, GM had a lot of battles on-hand when it released the Eagle "Gatorback" for the C4 Corvette. The buyers were upset because of the increased road noise, but since the average Corvette buyer was typically the one that just wanted a Corvette for the prestige, not the performance..... http://www.probetalk.com/forums/images/smilies/icon_no2.gif yuppies

SBC31
07-17-2002, 04:33 PM
I figured that this was why the road noise was there. Thanks to everyone who responded, I'm off for a car ride. Man I love to drive my 02 SiR.

DownTheHatch
07-22-2002, 08:26 PM
"Take it easy. Take it easy. Don't let the sound of your own wheels... drive you crazy."

HondaMan
07-23-2002, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by DownTheHatch
"Take it easy. Take it easy. Don't let the sound of your own wheels... drive you crazy."

Good song! My tires don't really seem any louder than my stock tires. The Pilot Sports are supposed to be fairly quiet, one reason I got them.