PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good OBD-II Reader to buy?

SkareKrow
11-08-2010, 02:17 PM
I was wondering whats a good OBD-II Reader to buy?

widebodyeg
11-08-2010, 03:41 PM
i bought a toptac code reader from eBay and it has worked great, ive had it for about a year now, definitely comes in handy

Kerby
11-08-2010, 04:08 PM
kill like 5 birds with one swipe of the CC and get KPro.

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
11-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Get an Equus 3100

Lucid Moments
11-08-2010, 05:25 PM
kill like 5 birds with one swipe of the CC and get KPro.

Kpro is cool and all, but it is kind of limited. It doesn't do shit for my brothers MDX, or my sister-in-laws Z71 truck, or my nephews Taurus, or my co-workers Accord. Well you get the point. An OBDII code reader might be a worthwhile expenditure depending on your needs. I'm thinking about buying one myself and I don't have a car I need it for.

EP3SF07
11-08-2010, 06:44 PM
I bought a Scanguage II a couple of years back and have it mounted in the cubby hole below the stock stereo. It fits there perfect (I just added a few pieces of electical tape to the top and bottom of the Scanguage to increase the friction fit). I ran the wire behind the dash and down to the OBDII port, so no wires show. In addition to scanning/resetting ECU codes, it provides real time data monitoring on practically any part of the engine that has a sensor on it (e.g. MAP, Open/Closed Loop, TPS, Ignition Timing, etc.). It's a pretty handy device to have onboard if you throw a code and need to check it quick.

T_Virus
11-08-2010, 10:50 PM
Get an Equus 3100

My brother and lot of people have this type and newer models and so far so good.

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
11-13-2010, 09:49 AM
My brother and lot of people have this type and newer models and so far so good.

Yeah i just picked one up for 60 bucks on craigslist. So far it works out pretty well. Worked on my gf's Jetta read the manufacture code not the gineric code. Also i heard i works on porsche audi mercedes and bmw. Also tells you if your car is ready for smog and if it will pass as far as sensors go.