PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Cable Adjustment

Twisted-X
11-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Not my video, but good info. (I know its been posted before :mbiggrin:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rawvJop772E

Aaron_in_MO
11-12-2010, 12:37 PM
I may be wrong, but aren't EP3s drive-by-wire?

shanewdude
11-12-2010, 01:43 PM
I may be wrong, but aren't EP3s drive-by-wire?

You are indeed incorrect, sir! We have cables.

talonXracer
11-12-2010, 01:46 PM
There is no way in hell I will ever own a DBW car, give me a throttle cable or I will walk!

RotaryGreg
11-12-2010, 03:36 PM
There is no way in hell I will ever own a DBW car, give me a throttle cable or I will walk!

really? what makes you say that? the last 2 cars i've owned have been DBW and they were perfect. Great, even above average throttle response i would say. yes, some of them are absolute shit, chevy cobalts and the like, but there are some out there that work great. one thing i really like about them is that it eliminates the need for an IAC completely. although i supose you are uncomplicating something by adding in another complicated part. lol.

but still, they are suposed to be fool proof. i know i know...the whole toyota recall BS, but i've played around with one of the mazda systems. there are 4 sensors, 2 for the pedal position and 2 for the actual throttle. if at any time one of them doesnt jive with the other 3, the system goes into limp mode so you dont have any problems....

i never had an issue with either of my DBW cars. although my ralliart still had a throttle cable...ran all the way out into the engine bay up behind the passenger side headlight and attached to the throttle position sensor assembly (2 sensors inside), then the wires ran from the sensor assembly back into the cabin to the ECU, and the wires ran from that back to throttle motor. lol. even still, all that overcomplication it was lightning fast response.

in any case, either system (cable or DBW) wont prevent me from buying a certain car....so long as it feels responsive im a happy camper.

Aaron_in_MO
11-19-2010, 03:33 PM
I've owned my car for 5 years, and never once bothered taking that i-VTEC cover off the engine. Found the throttle cable hiding down there, and it actually had quite a bit of slack; not quite like seen in the video above, but it was definitely stretched. Grabbed a 12mm wrench and tightened it, but left a little slack like in the video. I ended up moving the nuts an entire 1/8" on an 8-yr-old car.

By the way, what's the other cable that runs in front of the engine and to the left of it (as you're facing it)?

RotaryGreg
11-19-2010, 04:27 PM
i am new to my honda so not too familar with the engine bay, but if it looks just like a throttle cable and is attacted to the throttle but doesnt run into the cabin to the pedal, its likey for your cruise control

Twisted-X
11-19-2010, 06:53 PM
Bingo!

Red arrows are the throttle cable.
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu261/jimmyspiffy1986/EngineBayB.jpg

The cable closer to the throttle body is the cruise control, like RG said.

RedSiBaron
11-20-2010, 03:52 PM
Why do I keep seeing people asking if the ep3 is drive by wire, where are they getting that info? Have they looked in the engine bay?

I repeat, the ep3 has a throttle cable from thr pedal to the throttle body, it is not drive by wire :mrolleyes:

Aaron_in_MO
11-20-2010, 03:54 PM
Why do I keep seeing people asking if the ep3 is drive by wire, where are they getting that info? Have they looked in the engine bay?

I repeat, the ep3 has a throttle cable from thr pedal to the throttle body, it is not drive by wire :mrolleyes:

I remember reading it back in the day when the car was first hitting the market. I never bothered looking further into it after that. It doesn't help that the cable and the throttle body are hidden under that daumb plastic shroud.

RedSiBaron
11-21-2010, 07:05 AM
I remember reading it back in the day when the car was first hitting the market. I never bothered looking further into it after that. It doesn't help that the cable and the throttle body are hidden under that daumb plastic shroud.

Whatever man, though I wouldn't really call them hidden :mrolleyes:

Draw7Seven
11-21-2010, 07:53 AM
Whatever man, though I wouldn't really call them hidden :mrolleyes:

Somebody piss in your cornflakes this morning or do you just really not like new members?

I've owned my EP3 for six years and never had a clue what that cable was for. I'd like to apologize in advance for my gross ignorance of the subject, I know now how deeply it must cut you... my turn to roll some fucking eyes.

Aaron_in_MO
11-21-2010, 07:58 AM
Somebody piss in your cornflakes this morning or do you just really not like new members?
I'm not exactly new; all my old posts were deleted in the crash, and I've been busy with things other than my car over the last year or so.

Considering a huge plastic shroud is covering half of the engine, yeah, I'd say the cable was hidden.

Draw7Seven
11-21-2010, 08:00 AM
I'm not exactly new; all my old posts were deleted in the crash, and I've been busy with things other than my car over the last year or so.

I think there's a bias towards anybody with an aqua name. I recognize that not only does the name color not mean crap due to the crash, but that it wouldn't mean crap even if there were no crash. I wasn't trying to defend you as a "new member" so much as express confusion at why somebody needs to get butthurt over throttle cable adjustment threads.

Aaron_in_MO
11-21-2010, 08:06 AM
I think there's a bias towards anybody with an aqua name.

Hey, what'dya'know, my name is in aqua. Had you not mentioned it, I would have never noticed.

Anyway, after the adjustment to the cable, I can definitely tell a difference. There's no additional performance by means of power, obviously, but the pedal feels better connected to the throttle, especially below 2,000RPM. Occasionally, taking off from a dead stop, there'd be a bit of a studder as I swapped from clutch to gas, and I just figured it was me being lazy, since my last car never had that issue. With less slack in the cable, the issue is gone.

Draw7Seven
11-21-2010, 08:08 AM
Hey, what'dya'know, my name is in aqua. Had you not mentioned it, I would have never noticed.

Anyway, after the adjustment to the cable, I can definitely tell a difference. There's no additional performance by means of power, obviously, but the pedal feels better connected to the throttle, especially below 2,000RPM. Occasionally, taking off from a dead stop, there'd be a bit of a studder as I swapped from clutch to gas, and I just figured it was me being lazy, since my last car never had that issue. With less slack in the cable, the issue is gone.

Your avatar is in black and white, too. Just in case you never look over there. :)

RedSiBaron
11-21-2010, 08:33 AM

I've owned my EP3 for six years and never had a clue what that cable was for. I'd like to apologize in advance for my gross ignorance of the subject, I know now how deeply it must cut you... my turn to roll some fucking eyes.

Im not butt hurt at all, I was expressing indifference, I just never thought they were anything but obvious...I wasn't judging, just didn't know it wasn't obvious...not upset...just expressing that I don't care, obviously you do :shrug:

Draw7Seven
11-21-2010, 09:00 AM
Im not butt hurt at all, I was expressing indifference, I just never thought they were anything but obvious...I wasn't judging, just didn't know it wasn't obvious...not upset...just expressing that I don't care, obviously you do :shrug:

That's really cool about how automatics have another cable that goes to the transmission. And this morning I just went out and checked and there's a little bit of play to the throttle cable, but not enough to warrant changing it: I'd probably just overtighten it and have no idle.

RedSiBaron
11-21-2010, 09:44 AM
That's really cool about how automatics have another cable that goes to the transmission. And this morning I just went out and checked and there's a little bit of play to the throttle cable, but not enough to warrant changing it: I'd probably just overtighten it and have no idle.

Id suggest attempting to adjust it...rule of thumb for any cable adjustment is tighten it until there is no more play, then back it off and add just enough play to take any initial tension off in the "at rest" position...yet another reason I miss my old cable clutch civics when I did the clutch on the ep. The ep has an auto adjusting setup for the hydraulic clutch, so when I changed the clutch I hate to wait for the damn thing to tighten up again, whereas on my old 86si alln I had to do was adjust a thumb adjustment at the clutch arm on the transmission...if you can't tell I love manual adjustments

kyr3n
11-22-2010, 03:12 PM
How do you actually adjust the cable, specifically the nut that's before the outer most nut? Trying to do this Ill post pics soon http://www.flickr.com/photos/56207487@N05/5199238825/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56207487@N05/5199833266/
Edit: Just posting pics, might help someone else, Thanks Aaron btw

Aaron_in_MO
11-22-2010, 03:17 PM
kyr3n: loosen the nut on the right with a 12mm wrench, and back it off a bit so you can pull the cable up a little. Then spin the nut on the left--which should now be loose since the right one was helping keep it tight--toward the left. Then pull the assembly to the right so the left nut is against the post again, and see how much slack is left. When you're happy, tighten the right nut against the post and you're done.

Brig
05-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Just wanted to bump this up to the top, if you haven't done it yet you totally should. My car feels like new. This "mod" was worth more than the SRI that I put on....
Do it, it takes 5 minutes and makes a huge difference. I used to hate accelerating in-town because of the hesitation/bog down feeling in 2nd....gone now.

Jmage
05-09-2012, 05:02 PM
Just did it this weekend. My cable was not tight at all! I too had "trouble" taking from a dead stop or even shifting gears. Now it is so smooth and precise, I hate myself for not checking this before. I guess it was slack like this since I have the cars, 4 years...