PDA

View Full Version : k24a4 and what to do with it

urthworm
11-12-2010, 09:42 AM
So ive come across a k24a4 long block for $350, and it just so happens to be 3 blocks from my house so there will be no shipping costs. Now i have two ideas for it...

1. build it to a 2.5 or something better and put it in the ep when my k20a block is ready to retire.

2. build it, slap a type s or k24a2 head on it and drop it in my eg?

ive been doing my home work on both ideas for sometime now, but if any of you k24 heads out there have any good build ideas id love to hear some advice. I dont really want to have to sleeve this block but im unsure of what compression i should run and what size to bore it to safely.

One other thing, im at an altitude of 5000ft, so we lose compression here and we are limited to 91 octane..

Thanks.

Deadphishy
11-12-2010, 02:16 PM
It's all about the money......and how much you are going to drive the car.

I would put the k24 into the EP and leave the EG with a turbo D.

This is what i would do.

I would take the motor apart and have a machine shop go through it. Buy oversized new TSX pistons and rings 11:1 compression, and some good I beam rods. Have the motor properly balanced and assemblied with OEM Bearings.

Get yourself a k20z3 Oil pump, and Mod it to fit the balance shafts out of your k24a4 oil pump.

Get yourself an ATI racing crank pulley.

Get yourself a K20z3 head, intake manifold, and install 06+ TSX camshafts, New tensioner, new timing chain.

Get a Club RSX race header, and whatever Mid-pipe/Muffler your ears can stand.

Get a 06+ Civic Si transmission and VSS signal convertor, or just put a TSX 6th in the EP trans.

Stock Type S clutch and Flywheel.

Now enjoy your 230whp motor that gets high 30 MPGs highway and high 20's city, that runs mid 13's and will alast 200k miles.

urthworm
11-12-2010, 05:02 PM
Well if i decide to put it in the ep, i already have a k20a itr motor. So id just be putting the built block on it and using all the other itr goodies along with a set of blue print stage to cams i have sitting in my garage.
Now if i put it in the eg then the set up you suggested sounds pretty close to what i had in mind. Only thing is 11.1 pistons would only be like 10.3:1 at this altittude so im thinking 12.1 or 12.5. Unless i bore 2 over then id probably use a a lil lower compress piston. Thats kinda where im stuck right now, bore vs compression and stroke.. sleeve or not to sleeve. N/A is kinda of new to me since im coming from the turbo world.

Deadphishy
11-12-2010, 06:17 PM
11:1 is 11:1. Doesn't matter where you live. Now you might not have as dense of air, but it's still being compressed 11 times it's normal size.

The only reason i said 11:1 and not 12:1 is you will be able to use OEM pistons. If you are looking to make a lot of power but still drive the car often you can use forged pistons. I would do a 4032 alloy for NA, Supertech makes some nice 12.5:1 pistons.

I would work out your goal so you know what direction to start.

Sidenote, If your rocking a k20a right now, your in for a world of smiles with the k24. It's amazing what an added 13mm of stroke will do for you.

urthworm
11-13-2010, 12:36 AM
Let me rephrase that.. 11.1 doesnt give the same hp here as sea level so we have to compensate by going higher.

And my goal is to kick ass.. not many here believe in the k or the ep and im learning them a lesson. I want to build a fast weekend warrior that can get me to work and back if need be. The k20a hasnt lost to a n/a honda all year. She starts and runs with zero hickups... but i know it could be alil faster without losing reliability.

So the 2.4 makes that much of a difference huh? Well i might just build this for the ep after all.

it will cost near 6k to put this in the eg.. Im not sure i want to get into a project that big.

urthworm
11-13-2010, 08:27 PM
Well here it is.. got it for 340bucks. Now its time to take it apart. Ill be putting the head up for sale once its off if anyone is interested. Real cheap. Dont know why the valve cover is pink, girls car maybe?
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/vwright01/Picture.jpg

Ba82Ep3
11-14-2010, 05:32 PM
You can put it in the EG for 2k in swap parts (mostly Hybrid Racing). Engine parts are separate, if you plan to rebuild it. I had another 1k in wiring harnesses and what not from Acura. I have a 95 EJ1 (basically the same as an EG) and just went through and compiled a complete parts list to order all of my swap components to drop in a k24. The only thing my list doesnt include is exhaust past the RH, PS and AC.

Having the engine and tranny saves the greatest amount of $$$. Since you have an Accord k24, you could hit the Yard for an Accord tranny, cables, and shifter box, and get Hasports mounts for the Accord setup and save even more $$$.

Just letting you know there ARE options...

urthworm
11-14-2010, 06:54 PM
Yeah ive looked into the budget swap, i can be done without spending 6k but if im going to do it im going all out.

Ba82Ep3
11-15-2010, 08:08 AM
Yeah i hear ya there. lol Im jammed up on my tranny now... need some cash to finish the 5 to 6 speed and LSD conversion. I have two bent shift forks and the syncros for 1-2 and 3-4 need to be replaced... i have everything else.

urthworm
11-18-2010, 04:42 PM
So i go the k24 all opened up. Besides it looking like it had a blown head gasket and sat in the rain for a year.. there was an odd piece of rubber wedged between the sleeve.. any one know what the hell this is?

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/vwright01/Picture242.jpg
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/vwright01/Picture243.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e74/vwright01/Picture244.jpg

Ba82Ep3
11-19-2010, 09:56 AM
Its the coolant diverter. It forces coolant around the block sleeves in one direction.

urthworm
11-19-2010, 01:42 PM
So it could be an oem part... well i thought some jackass just put it in there.

Ba82Ep3
11-19-2010, 03:39 PM
LOL no it IS an OEM part. Its supposed to be there.

RHCP0801
11-19-2010, 03:48 PM
yes, that is an oem part

urthworm
11-19-2010, 05:34 PM
Good to know.. i dont remember putting that back in or seeing that on the a3 block. but that was a long time ago on very lil sleep.