PDA

View Full Version : 5 lug swap

Distance
11-16-2010, 01:45 AM
can someone give me a run down of what i need to swap this?

list of parts from what year dc5 would be great.

Andrew
11-16-2010, 09:40 AM
what you only need from the RSX-S is the knuckles, hubs, calipers, rotors as the basics ONLY if it's from an 02-04 RSX-S. although if it is from an 05-06 the ball joint is going to be a lot larger from the 02-04 versions. You can get the Type S ABS sensors, but the washer trick does work because I did it.

another option is to get the 04-05 ep3 front/rear hub & rotor assembly if you want the 5lug for show in my opinion at a cheaper rate. now if you want performance and for looks go for the Type S set up and enjoy. PM me if you need any other questions because I know how you feel. I was at that stage of confusing on what I needed

ShadowEP3
11-16-2010, 11:14 AM
i always thought you needed to replace the axles as well when doing the RSX-S swap :shrug:

Distance
11-16-2010, 12:30 PM
what you only need from the RSX-S is the knuckles, hubs, calipers, rotors as the basics ONLY if it's from an 02-04 RSX-S. although if it is from an 05-06 the ball joint is going to be a lot larger from the 02-04 versions. You can get the Type S ABS sensors, but the washer trick does work because I did it.

another option is to get the 04-05 ep3 front/rear hub & rotor assembly if you want the 5lug for show in my opinion at a cheaper rate. now if you want performance and for looks go for the Type S set up and enjoy. PM me if you need any other questions because I know how you feel. I was at that stage of confusing on what I needed

whats the differnces between the 02-04 compared to the 05-06. i would rock the ep3 set up but i found someone local willing to sell me the dc5 set up from a wrecked 02-04 for a good price.

02TWSI
11-16-2010, 12:44 PM
going 5 lug huh?

talonXracer
11-16-2010, 01:39 PM
Going 5lug using a 02-04 is easy, you need the knuckles, hubs, brakes, rotors and AXLES. Use washers to space the ABS sensors.

the 05+ typeS have a larger lower ball joint(ie larger dia) and it will not fit correctly into the LCA, so the LCA will be required as well.

The rears only require the 5 lug hub assembly, and that can come from ANY of the 5luggers.

27rocks
11-16-2010, 03:16 PM
Going 5lug using a 02-04 is easy, you need the knuckles, hubs, brakes, rotors and AXLES. Use washers to space the ABS sensors.

the 05+ typeS have a larger lower ball joint(ie larger dia) and it will not fit correctly into the LCA, so the LCA will be required as well.

The rears only require the 5 lug hub assembly, and that can come from ANY of the 5luggers.

Everything this guys said like x5000

bchaney
11-16-2010, 04:28 PM
Mary did a write-up when she did her swap - check out the sticky

gtimportfanatic
11-16-2010, 09:01 PM
when i did my swap.. i took the whole thing.. i was lucky to find an 03 type S wrecked.. for 400 bucks i got the axles, LCA's, rotors, calipers front and rear

Distance
11-16-2010, 09:51 PM
going 5 lug huh?

yea. buy my works lol.

thanks for the info.

socmex7
11-16-2010, 10:12 PM
Mary did a write-up when she did her swap - check out the sticky

and here it is...
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?53672-DIY-5-Lug-Swap-Conversion-02-03-ep-with-02-03-DC5-Type-S-Parts&highlight=5+lug+swap

Andrew
11-17-2010, 01:54 AM
i always thought you needed to replace the axles as well when doing the RSX-S swap :shrug:

oh yeah i forgot about axles hehe my bad, but everything talon said for sure haha it's pretty simple. i'd get the Type S swap personally

HondaFreak
11-17-2010, 09:23 AM
I don't get why people don't just get the ep3 5 lug stuff. You'll spend less money for the same swap. That way you don't need new axles. Whatev.

Christian

talonXracer
11-17-2010, 09:36 AM
I did the complete swap in order TO GET the STRONGER axles.........Not too mention better front brakes geared towards repeated hard stops compared to the EP3's stoppers that have one good stop in them.

56chevydan
11-18-2010, 05:06 PM
If you carry a spare tire in your car, and are going to use the type s brakes, don't forget to get a type s spare. The base RSX 5 lug spare will not clear the type s front brakes.

ragebomb
11-18-2010, 11:33 PM

Yes, you need to replace axles as well if you go from a 02-03 EP3 to an RSX Type-S setup. The splines in the front hubs are larger than the EP3 ones. I just did this and spent $170 (about $85 each side, shipped) on the RSX Type-S axles.

I also used washers to adjust my front ABS sensor mounts (rather than buying the Type-S sensors). When I started my car for the first time after the conversion, my ABS dash light came on. I was like "Oh crap, i'm going to have to buy the Type-S sensors." But then after driving around the block the light went off (whew). All's well.

If you don't use washers to adjust the mounting of the EP3 sensors, they will get ground down and damaged by the larger ABS sensor ring on the Type-S axles. I used 3 washers on each side. Each side is maybe .5mm farther than what the shop manual recommends but it seems to be ok (no ABS error light on dash).

ragebomb
11-22-2010, 05:03 AM
If you carry a spare tire in your car, and are going to use the type s brakes, don't forget to get a type s spare. The base RSX 5 lug spare will not clear the type s front brakes.

Ditto. Be sure to buy the 16" spare, not the 15". The smaller one will not clear the Type-S front calipers. I also keep 5 oem acorn lug nuts in the trunk as well.