PDA

View Full Version : Passenger rear pads doesn't grab with Parking Brake

.colin
11-16-2010, 10:12 AM
My passenger rear pads don't grab when my parking brake is on, no matter how hard I set it. The driver side grabs, but not the passenger. Both pads grab when brakes are applied. Does the parking brake just need adjusted or is something else wrong?

02TWSI
11-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Sorry I don't have an answer, but this reminds me of the time I had just gotten my rear brakes done and parked in my girlfriends driveway at an incline. I came out of the house about an hour later to grab something and the car was almost in the street....:o!

I put it in 1st at all times now.

27rocks
11-16-2010, 03:12 PM
Hahaha mine do the same... I switched the pads to ceramic oem ones and they didn't grab so i put my Hawks back on and still the same. Funny thing is they worked just fine before i touched them. I tightened my cable a little bit and i'm just going to wait till the pads mate with the rotors again.

.colin
11-17-2010, 02:58 PM
Hahaha mine do the same... I switched the pads to ceramic oem ones and they didn't grab so i put my Hawks back on and still the same. Funny thing is they worked just fine before i touched them. I tightened my cable a little bit and i'm just going to wait till the pads mate with the rotors again.

soooooooo did it work?

56chevydan
11-18-2010, 04:59 PM
My passenger rear pads don't grab when my parking brake is on, no matter how hard I set it. The driver side grabs, but not the passenger. Both pads grab when brakes are applied. Does the parking brake just need adjusted or is something else wrong?
Step 1- Pull your rear wheels and check the thickness of your pads. If you need pads, colapse the rear caliper pistons and install the new pads. If the rotors need surfacing then this is the time to do that also. After re-installation, pump the brake pedal and seat the pads back to the rotors. If your pads are ok, go to step 2.

2- You can then remove the rear half of your console and adjust the emergency brake adjuster until you get about 2-3 clics on the handle to engage the pads firmly against the rotors. Make sure, while the rear wheels are still off the ground, and the emergency brake handle is not pulled up, that the pads are not dragging on the rotors. If they are, back your adjustment off until they don't drag. Last step, before or after, you lower the car back to the ground is to check the brake master cylander and make sure it is filled to the proper level.

27rocks
11-19-2010, 03:29 PM
soooooooo did it work?

I haven't really driven my car enough, but i did notice it starting to grab a little more

charles
11-19-2010, 04:50 PM
tightening the e-brake cable should help

27rocks
02-02-2011, 07:17 PM
I know this is a bit late but i figured out the correct way to fix this!! If anyone is interested PM me.

RedSiBaron
02-02-2011, 10:47 PM
I know this is a bit late but i figured out the correct way to fix this!! If anyone is interested PM me.

cock tease

27rocks
02-02-2011, 11:16 PM
ok ok hold on.. someone just pm'd me about this. Ill just copy and paste what i told him.

Edit:

Its pretty simple actually. I finally looked in my FSM and did it the correct way.

1. First thing you want to do is take the plastic cover off the e-brake handle.
2. Next loosen the nut that tightens the cable almost all the way or to the point where there is slack in the cable (keep the handle down).
3. Start the car and step on the brake pedal a few times firmly. This will allow the rear caliper pin to adjust so you can retighten your cable (make sure the handle is still down) Note: the cable has to be loose in order for the pin to reset.
4. After you do that raise the rear up in the air and throw it on jack stands. You will need to be able to spin the wheels to know when to stop tightening your cable.
5. Once you have your car up in the air go back in the car. Lift on the handle ONE click. Then slowly start tightening the nut to the cable back up. It wont take much for it to tighten. After about 10 to 15 turns go out and see if the wheels are still spinning freely. If they are keep tightening the nut. You want to do this till there is resistance from the brake and you can hear it touching the rotor while you spin the wheel. I did about 3 clicks more once i heard some noise and it got a little harder to spin the tire.
After that you are all done. It should grab really nice after 7 to 8 clicks (which honda recommends for our cars).

RedSiBaron
02-02-2011, 11:22 PM
ok ok hold on.. someone just pm'd me about this. Ill just copy and paste what i told him.

Edit:

Its pretty simple actually. I finally looked in my FSM and did it the correct way.

2. Next loosen the nut that tightens the cable almost all the way or to the point where there is slack in the cable (keep the handle down).
3. Start the car and step on the brake pedal a few times firmly. This will allow the rear caliper pin to adjust so you can retighten your cable (make surethe handle is still down) Note: the cable has to be loose in order for the pin to reset.
4. After you do that raise the rear up in the air and throw it on jack stands. You will need to be able to spin the wheels to know when to stop tightening your cable.
5. Once you have your car up in the air go back in the car. Lift on the handle ONE click. Then slowly start tightening the nut to the cable back up. It wont take much for it to tighten. After about 10 to 15 turns go out and see if the wheels are still spinning freely. If they are keep tightening the nut. You want to do this till there is resistance from the brake and you can hear it touching the rotor while you spin the wheel. I did about 3 clicks more once i heard some noise and it got a little harder to spin the tire.
After that you are all done. It should grab really nice after 7 to 8 clicks (which honda recommends for our cars).

:rockon:

.colin
02-03-2011, 05:00 AM

Edit:

3. Start the car and step on the brake pedal a few times firmly. This will allow the rear caliper pin to adjust so you can retighten your cable (make sure the handle is still down) Note: the cable has to be loose in order for the pin to reset.

nice, thanks for the info