PDA

View Full Version : First swap, doing a quick checklist

Tortoise
11-16-2010, 08:42 PM
Gettin ready to do my first swap since my a3 blew. Im goin with a k24a1 and using my stock ep3 5spd. Jus wanna cover a few topics before i start buyin parts. All input is appreciated!

header- i know i need a raceheader, do i buy one that is ep3 specific or crv specific? and what is the best one for around 300? i was thinking obx.

Intake Manifold/intake-I wanna do a different manifold so i see a little power. Which honda manifold should i use? PRB? and also what gaskets and adapters do i need? Also, will the whale penis for my ep3 fit? cuz i bought it right before my motor blew and never even used it.

Kpro-I know i need kpro. Will i need a crv ecu to get kpro in or will my ep3 ecu be fine to get kpro in and run the motor? also i bought the reflash once it got cheaper..how much will the upgrade be? Will i be fine on a basemap with the setup im gonna run or should i get tuned?

I know i also need the crv passenger bracket. Anything im forgetting? And what kinda numbers do you guys think i will see off of this setup? Will gains be noticeable over my a3?

Thanks a lot for any input guys i appreciate it alot! sorry for all the questions but this is my first experience with a swap ever. Is everything just plug and go with this swap?

bchaney
11-17-2010, 05:19 AM
For 300 you're prob stuck with a DCRH. There's a sticky for the a1 swap that includes header info, you should look at that.

I would swap the ep's PRB mani onto the a1. Your CAI should fit fine.

A kpro'd ecu becomes sort of a "universal" ecu. Either an ep or crv one will work. Check hondata's site for upgrade prices. You should be able to find someone with a map of a similar setup to yours.

Over a completely stock a3 you'll gain some whp cause of the bolt-ons and definitely get some torque. Compare the #s in the k-series engine sticky.

jblanco325
11-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Gettin ready to do my first swap since my a3 blew. Im goin with a k24a1 and using my stock ep3 5spd. Jus wanna cover a few topics before i start buyin parts. All input is appreciated!

header- i know i need a raceheader, do i buy one that is ep3 specific or crv specific? and what is the best one for around 300? i was thinking obx.

Intake Manifold/intake-I wanna do a different manifold so i see a little power. Which honda manifold should i use? PRB? and also what gaskets and adapters do i need? Also, will the whale penis for my ep3 fit? cuz i bought it right before my motor blew and never even used it.

Kpro-I know i need kpro. Will i need a crv ecu to get kpro in or will my ep3 ecu be fine to get kpro in and run the motor? also i bought the reflash once it got cheaper..how much will the upgrade be? Will i be fine on a basemap with the setup im gonna run or should i get tuned?

I know i also need the crv passenger bracket. Anything im forgetting? And what kinda numbers do you guys think i will see off of this setup? Will gains be noticeable over my a3?

Thanks a lot for any input guys i appreciate it alot! sorry for all the questions but this is my first experience with a swap ever. Is everything just plug and go with this swap?

header - go DCrh should clear stock swaybar
intake manifold- rbc ftw! requires adapter plate (kc concepts i believe??) and stock throttle body, best for mid and top range. add hondata gasket for more hp
kpro - base is a good staring point but don't drive on it, only to tuning shop if you have too and get a tune!!!!!!! you will thank yourself later, my old interga will tell you haha
hp wise- i would expect 160whp and 100tq but not sure on a1's potential though and depends on supporting mods, cai vs ram etc

talonXracer
11-17-2010, 12:57 PM
CRV ecu will NOT work in our chassis, it HAS to be a 02-05 EP3 or 02-04 DC5

The best bet for a mani on the A1 will be the PRC. no adaptors needed.(but do add the aftermarket plenum spacer:mwink:)

You will notice a significant improvement over the a3, the a1 should have been the EP3's stock engine.

Never run the engine on a base map for the K24's for long, they are all screwed up frontwards and backwards

Tortoise
11-17-2010, 03:20 PM
Thanks guys! But 160hp 100tq?! I might as well jus rebuild my a3 head and save $4000

RHCP0801
11-17-2010, 03:27 PM
thats a better idea

jblanco325
11-17-2010, 03:54 PM
Thanks guys! But 160hp 100tq?! I might as well jus rebuild my a3 head and save $4000

ya with my k24a2 i put 181whp and 151tq(no intake & stock catback) so my guess is the a1 is less. its rated at 160hp crank so...ya.... but the torque is where you see most of your gains

playap07
11-18-2010, 07:15 AM

yea right! the tq should be about the same as the hp if the engine is fully stock!

ya with my k24a2 i put 181whp and 151tq(no intake & stock catback) so my guess is the a1 is less. its rated at 160hp crank so...ya.... but the torque is where you see most of your gains

the k24a1 has 160hp 160tq stock on paper, to the wheels i bet its 140hp 140tq. usually the tq and hp will be about the same if the engine remain simi stock depending on mods. thats from looking at people dyno sheets.

bong here you go:http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?55564-k24-finally-got-tuned