PDA

View Full Version : Axle Seal Replacement?

mage182
11-23-2010, 06:56 AM
I guess with all the ins and outs of trying to find an axle that would fit my DC5R setup, I damaged the driver's side axle seal.

Can this be replaced from outside the gearbox? Meaning I can pop out the axle and replace the seal from the outside?

RedSiBaron
11-23-2010, 09:07 AM
Ya you can, it is pressed into the housing from the outside...

Now there are a few tricky aspects to this...first off you need to make sure not to ding up the mating surface the outside of the seal touches on the transmission. Second you need to have a way to press in the new seal evenly, without damaging, and not pressing it too far in.

If you are careful you can gently and evenly work the old seal out with a small flathead screwdriver...try to avoid working it out around the outer side of the seal and working through the hole in the middle of the seal with light prying...usually I find once you break the seal loose and get it to move out a little you can pop it out by hand.

Now when putting the new seal back in, be sure to clean the mating surface of any dirt or whatever that may have gotten in there, and if you put any dings in the mating surface, make sure to remove any burrs with a small file with some light filing to ensure you don't damage the new seal. Next you preferably neew a seal driver kit, if you have a harbor freight nearby, they have a kit for like 5 bucks, just go buy it. Pick the piece that will apply force to the stiff part of the seal...gently tap the seal in and make sure it goes in evenly. If you can't get a seal driver kit, use a soft rubber mallet or better yet a small and I mean like inch diameter head rubber tackhammer. And slowly and gently work around the edge of the seal tapping it into place. Now make sure you don't overdrive the seal in, don't tap it past the outer edge of the mating surface so that the seal is flush.

If it makes you more comfortable and you can't get the seal to go in dry and its crushing the rubber bad, dip your finger in some oil and put a light film on the outside of the seal to help it slide in easier.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need any more help and if I left anything out someone add please.

ep-unit
11-23-2010, 01:08 PM
I guess with all the ins and outs of trying to find an axle that would fit my DC5R setup, I damaged the driver's side axle seal.

Can this be replaced from outside the gearbox? Meaning I can pop out the axle and replace the seal from the outside?

does yours leak i think i have to change mine too

mage182
11-23-2010, 02:25 PM
does yours leak i think i have to change mine too

I just got finished installing my DC5R suspension. I went through about 5 different driver's side axles before finding one that fits. Last night I got under the car to change an oxygen sensor to find a little oil on the gearbox case, the inner cv, and the surrounding area. Since I know I dried this area after refilling the gearbox, it must be leaking from the amount of axles I installed and removed.

bchaney
11-24-2010, 05:23 AM
When I replaced some oil seals on my Accord I used a corkscrew to remove the old ones.

It's easier than a screwdriver and there's less risk of damaging the sealing surfaces.

mage182
12-09-2010, 06:57 AM
Before I go tearing into this and taking an axle out when it's 20 degrees out... Is it a possibility that when i refilled the gearbox I put too much MTF in and because of that some of the extra is leaking out the seal because it was overfilled?