PDA

View Full Version : Engine Noise

smapzy
07-17-2002, 02:07 PM
I don't know is it only me or what...I have noticed that the engine is getting louder and louder as I put in more miles....is that normal? Also the road noise is getting louder too... I hope I didn't screw anything up.... :(

smapzy
07-17-2002, 02:10 PM
Also, I was driving about 40mph in 5th, and I try to skip a gear to go to 3rd....and no matter how many time I try, I just can't! Seem like something is in it to prevent me to do that. I know it's stupid to go from 5th to 3rd, but I just wanna test everything out.. :rolleyes:

Sooky
07-17-2002, 02:29 PM
um.... u should be able to put it in 3rd from 5th... unless there's some safety mech that i dont know of....

i kno that its harder to get in gear when ur rev's are higher, so i'm thinking it was that

dunno about ur engine/road noise thing tho.... but i've only had 450 miles on mine

DynaSpeed
07-17-2002, 04:06 PM
I hope you're *at least* blipping the throttle when attempting this.

BlackSi2002
07-17-2002, 08:06 PM
you should be able to go from 5th to 3rd, i've gone from 4th to 2nd racing a mustang, i think i was going like 45 or so, yea i have 2700 on my ep and the engine seems to be louder, i think my road noise has gone down from when i bought it though. i hope you pushed the gas down as you were shifting down to 3rd, or your going to slow down really fast, and also its bad for the engine, hope this helps, later.

BlazeX12
07-17-2002, 08:58 PM
I havent gone from 5th to 3rd yet, i have gone from 4th to 3rd quite often though, and it was a pretty smooth transition. As far as noise, well mine doesnt seem louder or quiter, about the same as when i bought it, and i think i have more miles then most do on this forum, i'm a shade under 7k.

vtecpinoy
07-17-2002, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by BlackSi2002
you should be able to go from 5th to 3rd, i've gone from 4th to 2nd racing a mustang, i think i was going like 45 or so, yea i have 2700 on my ep and the engine seems to be louder, i think my road noise has gone down from when i bought it though. i hope you pushed the gas down as you were shifting down to 3rd, or your going to slow down really fast, and also its bad for the engine, hope this helps, later.

so when you downshift from any gear down to a lower gear you should push down on the gas? please explain. sorry new at this stuff. thanx for your help

BlackSi2002
07-18-2002, 07:13 AM
well see if you don't push the gas, and just downshift, you will slow down extremely fast, its called engine braking, if you are trying to speed up then as your putting the car in 3rd, you need to push the gas down to get the rpm's high enuff so you start to speed up. hope this helps, its easier to do then explain. later

steven

DynaSpeed
07-18-2002, 07:57 AM
"Blipping the throttle" is, in essence, attempting to match the engine speed to the clutch speed. Then you won't "engine brake". If the car is in 4th at 3000 rpm. You can assume 3rd is about 4200 rpm... therefore, "blip" the throttle to 4200 rpm with clutch in, shift to 3rd, let out the clutch, hit the gas, win the race.

(that is kinda tough to explain :) )

vtecpinoy
07-18-2002, 05:55 PM
thanx for the help on the downshifting thing. i kind of understand.

SpeedRacer
07-18-2002, 06:31 PM
this might be easiers to understand when you go change gears you push the clutch in and put it in neutral and the RPM's go down right? well Now put it in the gear you want it in with the clutch down rev the engine back up to the RPM it was at before you started the downshift then let go of the clutch this will make your down shift much smoother. ANd it isn't stupid to downshift from 5th to 3rd depending on the occasion.
Just my .02 cents and my own opinion

smapzy
07-19-2002, 01:03 PM
Thanx for all the advice ;-) sounds like I have to master the heel and toe...

SLOlife
07-19-2002, 01:09 PM
Try this link for some good heel and toe directions:)
http://www.vtec.net/articles/view-article?article_id=3247

Hope it helps!

civic hatch boi
07-22-2002, 06:19 PM
is blipping a MUST?? or can we just depress the cluth slowly so that it catches. or is that bad for the transmissin/cluth?

Az02Si
07-22-2002, 07:44 PM
I just go from 5th to 3rd on the highways,without blipping the throttle,no problems.Did it in my last car too,for 60K miles.Same as going from 4th-5th to 2nd at 45ish.Just clutch,throw it in second and stomp it,you just have to time it a lil bit.Its not a science or anything ;)