PDA

View Full Version : Antenna issue

si03
11-24-2010, 03:19 PM
So I'm in need of some advice as to how to properly remove whats left of my antenna. The antenna has been missing since I bought the car and just today I received my new antenna in the mail. I went to replace it and I could not get the old piece to come off.
I even bought the grip right drill bits from HD and I could not get it to come off.
If I can not get it off, would I need to replace the entire piece (the plastic unit) ?

Thanks

talonXracer
11-24-2010, 03:36 PM
It is retained by a nut on the underside, you must first remove the headliner, BUT your very first action should be to snag a copy of the Helms service manual before you destroy something.

si03
11-24-2010, 04:15 PM
It is retained by a nut on the underside, you must first remove the headliner, BUT your very first action should be to snag a copy of the Helms service manual before you destroy something.

So are you saying that I'd have to replace the entire Antenna unit ? reason I ask is the antenna I received today is just the top piece which is threaded into the plastic unit.

talonXracer
11-24-2010, 05:55 PM
The base is not meant to be taken apart, if the threads for the mast are all messed up then you will need to replace the base.

BeaterEP
01-09-2011, 07:48 PM
You're most likely going to need to replace the base.
I attempted to remove a snapped-off antenna a while back, and it's really just not doable as far as I could figure.

Unfortunately, replacement for the base and the mast comes to something like $120 iirc. Sucks :mcry:
Still rockin' the busted antenna, myself. Priorities do not include great radio reception. :D