PDA

View Full Version : sticking e-brake cable question?

jschmit
11-25-2010, 11:59 AM
every time good old winter comes around my e-brake starts sticking on me. after parked all night its very apparent my back right brake is stuck and takes some time to un-stick itself. this summer i replaced all four calipers and carriers thinking this would help.

i am guessing the answer to my problem is to replace the e-brake cable and housing but i am hoping someone had an easier and cheaper way then this?

my e-brake cable is tight when working properly but when sticking i can get 5-6 or even more clicks of free play in the cable :(

talonXracer
11-26-2010, 12:43 PM
Spray the parking brake arm down with a silicon spray. The issue is that ICE forms on the Ebrake arm and simply freezes in the engaged position, and when THE CALIPER warms up from friction it melts and releases.

I make sure to NEVER apply the parking brake overnight ,during the winter after a snow/slush storm.

jschmit
12-03-2010, 11:57 AM
thats what it has came to, not using it in the winter. but when ever it snows i cant help but use the E-brake while cornering, but it sucks when the brake doesnt release!

good to know! cheaper solution then replacing the lines themselves. even though it sounds like that wouldnt have fixed it.

When you say e-brake arm, the ones on the calipers or the arm inside the car were both cables meet the handle?

talonXracer
12-03-2010, 01:37 PM
The arms on the calipers themselves, but there could be some corrosion within the cable if it is sticking after you have benn driving a bit, check the rubber boot on the cable and make sure it is not damaged.

revned3182
12-10-2013, 08:38 AM
is there a DIY for adjusting the e brake "lever"?
my girl's ep's is waay too high compare to mine.

27rocks
12-23-2013, 10:29 PM
1. Release the parking brake fully.

2. Loosen the parking adjusting nut, start the engine, and press the brake pedal several times to set the self-adjusting brake before adjusting the parking brake.

3. Block the front wheels, and raise the rear of the car, and throw it on jack stands in the proper location.

4. Make sure the parking brake arm on the rear caliper contacts the caliper pin. (its right near or under the spring that pushes back the cable).

NOTE: The parking brake arm will only contact the brake caliper pin when the adjusting nut is loosened.

5. Remove the rear console (the one around the e-brake lever).

6. Pull the parking lever up one click.

7. Tighten the adjusting nut until the parking brake drags slightly when turning the wheels/rotors.

8. Release the parking brake lever fully, and check that the rear wheels don't drag when turned. Readjust if necessary.

9. Make sure the parking brakes are fully applied when the parking brake lever is pulled up fully.

10. Reinstall the rear console.

This is straight from Honda. I also recommend doing this if you ever change brake pads and rotors. You might as well since the car is up in the air anyways.