PDA

View Full Version : Alpine issues?

Passenger
11-25-2010, 09:34 PM
So for awhile now I've had some audio problems. I have an alpine system (I'll get the model number tomorrow of the headunit) with two alpine amps with a generic battery cap (that fixed the dimming lights problem when I used my 10" sub) and 4 alpine type R speakers in the car.

On to the problem: With anything kinda "loud" (Volume @ 20 - 22 playing rock music or rap @ like 16 - 18) it'll completely cut out and not produce sound until I turn it down a little bit. I figured out a couple of days after the problem first showed up taht a speaker of mine is blown. Would this cause my music to cut out?
Another aggravation I'm having is my radio reception is complete ISH sometimes. Also, if Im just cruising around and I roll down the windows or turn the fan on for the heater/ac or move my sunroof it'll static really bad until I turn it off. Not so much the fan but it does add a bit to the static.

If its hard to understand what I'm trying to pinpoint I can make and host a short video of what I'm talking about.

03Si757
11-26-2010, 09:34 AM
What size pwer wire are you using to run your amp's. Also make sure grounds are sound, when sound cuts out, does the headunit cut off aswell?

Passenger
11-26-2010, 12:21 PM
What size pwer wire are you using to run your amp's. Also make sure grounds are sound, when sound cuts out, does the headunit cut off aswell?

I have no idea :shrug: I had hi-fi buys install it (installation was free at the time with buying all this at the same time). Is there some way I can find/figure that out?
The headunit doesn't cut out, the display will light up regular and just say its still playing.. for example if the sound cuts out at 30 seconds, it'll keep playing and showing the timer

introvert
11-26-2010, 02:41 PM
I've had two Kenwoods, a Sony and an Alpine installed. Alpine by far has the absolute shittiest reception. I think I get one or two stations right now. Not sure if I toggled the antenna connection loose last time I was working on it, but I wouldn't expect much from it. Probably just a push to get you to buy an HD addon or satellite subscription.

03Si757
11-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Sounds like your amps are clipping, either from insuficant power getting to them, or your amp settings are to high (usually gain settings)

Radio reception on a alpine unit, atleast what I believe, is done on purpose, they want you to fish out the extra $200 for the HD Radio add on for most newer alpine units. I love alpine, All I run and ever will run is alpine, so no bashing alpine here, just calling it how it is, and yes, I have a CDA-9887 and my radio reception is trash to, but im stuck on the ipod because they dont play nothing but trash on the radio now a days anyways.

Passenger
11-26-2010, 09:25 PM
I've had two Kenwoods, a Sony and an Alpine installed. Alpine by far has the absolute shittiest reception. I think I get one or two stations right now. Not sure if I toggled the antenna connection loose last time I was working on it, but I wouldn't expect much from it. Probably just a push to get you to buy an HD addon or satellite subscription.
Yeah I mean its not terrible but my gf's crapalier stock radio is 100% spot on nonstop. We listened to an Atlanta-based radio station all the way into Alabama and about 30 miles into it. The same exact trip done w/ my car a month later my reception went out 30 minutes before we hit the Alabama state line.

Sounds like your amps are clipping, either from insuficant power getting to them, or your amp settings are to high (usually gain settings)
Radio reception on a alpine unit, atleast what I believe, is done on purpose, they want you to fish out the extra $200 for the HD Radio add on for most newer alpine units. I love alpine, All I run and ever will run is alpine, so no bashing alpine here, just calling it how it is, and yes, I have a CDA-9887 and my radio reception is trash to, but im stuck on the ipod because they dont play nothing but trash on the radio now a days anyways.
Yeah I mean I wouldn't do anything but alpine, this isn't a "alpine bash" thread.. but to be completely fair the radio reception completely sucks. If you're into CDs/MP3 players with user friendly amp tuning/mode selection with tons of features alpine is it but I listen to a lot of talk radio and something isn't working right.
With the "amps clipping" what does that mean? Somethings up with the power getting thrown to it? Since I don't have a use for my sub, I dont listen to rap|hiphop ish no more, should I just remove my amp that runs to it and hope its not the one that powers the speakers? Another thing, would me just leaving the blown speaker be contributing to the sound problem.. I would've done it by now but I just really don't want to take the door panel off.

introvert
11-26-2010, 10:15 PM
Cutting out completely sounds more like an amp issue. Troubleshooting is somewhat tough because it can be amp grounding, could be a bad amp, or gain settings or could be outputs on the head unit. If you suspect the blown speaker is the culprit, you could always just disconnect that channel directly from the amp terminals. And, no, don't ditch the sub. Even if you don't listen to something much anymore.. The lack in depth will be sorely missed. You don't know what's missing until you don't have it anymore.

On the static.. They may have been lazy and run your RCAs too close to a power source. Or could be cheap RCAs. There isn't anything you can do about FM reception aside from making the switch to HD or XM/Sirius. (Or going with a different brand head unit.)

When sound cuts out do you still have output from the sub or does all sound go out?

Passenger
11-26-2010, 10:42 PM
Cutting out completely sounds more like an amp issue. Troubleshooting is somewhat tough because it can be amp grounding, could be a bad amp, or gain settings or could be outputs on the head unit. If you suspect the blown speaker is the culprit, you could always just disconnect that channel directly from the amp terminals. And, no, don't ditch the sub. Even if you don't listen to something much anymore.. The lack in depth will be sorely missed. You don't know what's missing until you don't have it anymore.
I'll look on the amp tomorrow morning and see which one disconnects it. Thanks for the heads up, I was really dreading taking that door panel off

On the static.. They may have been lazy and run your RCAs too close to a power source. Or could be cheap RCAs. There isn't anything you can do about FM reception aside from making the switch to HD or XM/Sirius. (Or going with a different brand head unit.)
When sound cuts out do you still have output from the sub or does all sound go out?
Well honestly its been awhile since I've had the sub in the car, after this problem occurred I just took it out shortly after and never messed with it again. But from what I remember, when it would cut out, it sounded like it was still "beating" with the music but there was very little to no sound (words, instruments, etc) coming from the sub. And even with the beat/bass thumps it was a lot "lighter" bass thumps than what it was before it would cut out.

Chad
11-29-2010, 09:42 AM
Reception issues can be caused from shitty class D amps, or the simple fact that you don't have your powered antenna hooded to power ;)

The fact that you have one speaker not working and the amp cuts out then resumes means that you MAY have a grounded out speaker cable or the speaker is sooo blown that it's showing the amplifier a rather strange load and the amp is going into protect.

Are you totally losing sound or is only one amp going into protect?

Passenger
11-29-2010, 10:09 AM
Reception issues can be caused from shitty class D amps, or the simple fact that you don't have your powered antenna hooded to power ;)
The fact that you have one speaker not working and the amp cuts out then resumes means that you MAY have a grounded out speaker cable or the speaker is sooo blown that it's showing the amplifier a rather strange load and the amp is going into protect.
Are you totally losing sound or is only one amp going into protect?

I was hoping you would chime in. No sound produces whatsoever until I turn the volume down some. When I had my sub installed, even it would stop producing sound it would just lightly thump to the music. The amp that runs to the speakers is alpine MRP-F250, is that a "shitty D class amp"??

robzilla
11-30-2010, 12:22 AM
What Chad is saying is where you should start! My friend had a problem that sounds just like what you are describing, when the level was turned up to a certain point the power at one of the speakers would arc to ground and the amp would shut off. We fixed the speaker connection and all was well again.

Disconnect that blown speaker and test it. That is where I would start. then check all connections.

Passenger
11-30-2010, 10:28 AM

Im leaning towards this. I disconnected the channel running to the speaker and it plays clear & loud again. I guess I'll be buying a new speaker later on down the road.

Chad
12-03-2010, 04:30 PM
Im leaning towards this. I disconnected the channel running to the speaker and it plays clear & loud again. I guess I'll be buying a new speaker later on down the road.

Goddamn awesome. At least it was something simple!

Draw7Seven
12-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Time to get a 1 series.