PDA

View Full Version : How to : Combination Light switch Fix. Headlight Problem Fixed

EP3_619
11-29-2010, 02:14 AM
Ok guys, I finally encountered a problem with the headlight combination switch for my 2002 EP3. After owning this car for 8 years now, the time finally came for the headlight combination switch to fail. I had looked through the forums on here for any thread or post for headlights combination switch removal, but found nothing.

My problem: I had both my low beams out one night and the only thing that was working was my high beams. So, I was troubleshooting this for hours and found no problems with the fuses. I bought new headlight bulbs thinking that both filaments were burnt out at the same time, then I came back to the store and had the new bulbs returned because the low beams on the new bulbs was still not working. Shortly after the second set of replacing the brand new headlight bulbs, Checker's had it bench test and found that the headlights they replaced was working fine without any failure. It all came down to the headlight combination switch. I had searched the problem on the forum, sure enough, someone posted the same problem that was posted since 2004. Unfortunately, there were no removal instruction.

I had called Honda America about the recall on the headlight combination switch that was posted here and also on MotorTrend, with them two weeks ago on Nov 17, 2010, but found nothing on my vehicle that had are recall on the headlight combination switch failure. **Check with Honda America Warranty Division first before you order your part online** **If your vehicle falls on a recall list, even though your vehicle is not under warranty they will charge you free of charge and replace the combination switch**

I ordered the combination light switch part number: 35255-S5A-A02 switch assembly through one of the Honda OEM vendors on one of the forums on Nov 22, 2010 and came in this Saturday. The headlight combination light switch cost me $27 plus shipping and handling to Hawaii, that sum up to $40. If you were to go to the dealer they will charge their customers around $550 for both the part and labor here in Hawaii. They are charging clients $510 on labor that is done in 20 mins?? You serious?? Anyway, I fixed my low beam headlight problem for less than $50. Here are the steps.

Step 1:

Remove the three screws from the bottom steering column cover. Once you remove the three screws, be very careful on removing the top cover because you will easily snap the 4 plastic locking loops.

Step 2:

Once you remove both the top and bottom steering column cover, then remove the 2 screws from the headlight combination switch.

Step 3:

Remove the harness by pushing in the middle tab downwards from the headlight combination switch and slowly remove the harness.

Step 4:

Grip the headlight combination switch and slowly pull it outwards. Reinstall the new combination switch and reuse the 2 screws that was taken out from the old combination switch. Reinstall the top and bottom steering column cover and the three screws. Pau fo da kine cahhz.... Then, go to your fridge and pop a bottle of da kine Heineken, sit back relax and cruise aftah dat.

I hope this thread helps to those that are encountering the same problem on their headlight switch.

EP3_619
11-29-2010, 02:23 PM
I'll post some photos later.

SkareKrow
01-16-2011, 03:53 PM
I'll post some photos later.

Bump for pics, Been waiting on them. I been wanting to do this for mine since Something like it happend except I need to take pics and post them up as well. My low beams just went out a while back i fixed them by cleaning the harness in the steering wheel area. All I did was scrape it with a wire brush really quick. Then they are good to go but it seems as if something burnt around the harness area. Let me know when you will be able to post pics. I know its been a while since november. But thanks for the "HOW TO".

hallpearl
02-14-2011, 01:16 PM
bump for the pictures it's been already months and still no pictures. already been following this thread carefully but no progress with the pics. already forced to join just to request for your long gone pics. your pics might be useful to me since i am planning to change my 2003 Honda Civic headlight bulbs (http://www.drivewire.com/vehicle/honda-civic/headlight-bulbs/).

3dkahuna
02-14-2011, 07:12 PM
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/5287/001woi.png

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/7383/002qn.png

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/9589/003ot.png