PDA

View Full Version : help! increased knock suddenly...

jri93
11-29-2010, 02:23 PM
ok sry for the long post but i will start from the beginning. im hoping someone will be able to inform me on whats goin on here. Basically, i have a k24a2 and im getting ready to have my car tuned, so over thanksgiving break while i was back at home i installed a 50 degree vtc gear and also did a vlave adjustment. the exhaust valves were all on the tight side. still in spec but on the limit. everything went well, i adjusted them into the middle of the spec and installed the cam gear with no problems. it drove fine afterwords. only thing i noticed was the valve train seemed a bit louder. i didint think anything of it since i increased the valve clearance on the exhaust i figured it was normal to be a little louder. the next day i drove the car back to san diego (4 hour drive) and when i pulled off the freeway and got onto the slow streets i noticed my knock sensor was flashing like crazy when i would take off in 1st and in second around 2k rpm. it never did this before. it used to only flash when it was really hot out or i was lugging it in high gear. any way, im thinking it might be fantom knock from the louder valve train? but why didint it do it at first? or if its real knocking then im worried something happened and now i cant get it tuned.. any ideas??

AKEP
11-29-2010, 10:49 PM
when are you supposed to get it tuned? double check your valves, i think your supposed to double check thenm after 120 miles or something anyways. our 5 spd isnt friendly with highway speeds, and i know on 99 or i5 our probably cruisin around 75-80 lol.

but yeah, i would start there. come back and let us know.

talonXracer
11-30-2010, 06:21 AM
Reload your calibration and do a idle relearn, winter blend fuels.

What were the specs you set the lash to?

Also did you change/select Kpro to read knock vrs misfires?

jri93
11-30-2010, 10:13 AM
thanks for the response guys. i would double check the valves, problem is im back in sd now where i have basically no tools.

talon- to do an idle relearn i just disconect the battery for a bit correct? i set the valves to what ever is said in the manual (i forget at the moment)... i think it was .008-.010 on the intake and .011-.013 on the exhaust? and i tried to get them in the middle of the spec. also im not sure about the knock/misfire thing. iv only opened kpro once when i first did the swap, i know i enacted the knock sensor to flash though.

jri93
12-01-2010, 07:37 PM
problem solved! i realized with a little searching that the valve lash specs are slightly different for the k20a3 and k24a2. anyway i bought a feeler gauge from harbor freight and used the spare jack lol and did a valve adjustment. everythings better now