PDA

View Full Version : wheel bearing rebuild help?.... PLEASE??

ezep3
11-30-2010, 05:34 PM
is there a way of rebuilding this as a DIY or is there special tools involved in completing the job? the noise is bothering like crazy and want to tackle this mission as a weekend job.... thanks in advance!

yyi
11-30-2010, 06:59 PM
I'm not sure rebuilding is the right thing here. If its a bad wheel bearing you need to replace it. I'd imagine you'd have to remove your wheel, brake caliper, brake disc, and hub to access the old bearing. get it pressed out and press the new one in there.

I've never done it for the ep3, but it should be a pretty universal process.

ezep3
11-30-2010, 07:11 PM
yea i was reading the manual, its a bit of a task... maybe possible excuse into moving up to 5 lug :mbiggrin:

VIZHUNZ02SI
11-30-2010, 07:49 PM
jus buy a wheel bearing and take it to a professional it has to be pressed in

02ES1
12-17-2010, 12:51 AM
Please don't try to repack it like you can on older rwd cars. Our wheel bearings are use until dead, throw away, adn replace. My friend's skeazy mechanic "re-built/repacked" his sealed wheel bearings and lets just say he had to replace another $300 worth of parts when someone figured out what was done.

neoamd
12-25-2010, 02:16 AM
I replaced both front wheel bearing when I had my passenger side go bad. Only one was bad but now I have two less to worry about failing.

Gotta remove everything. It's pretty easy though and I'm not as mechanically inclined like others on this forum.

ShadowEP3
12-25-2010, 03:11 AM
replace em..never rebuild

if you can do it then go for it..if not take it to a shop and have em do it
but dont rebuild em

talonXracer
12-25-2010, 06:04 AM
There is a tool out there called a "Hub Tamer" it will allow you to swap out the bearings WITHOUT removing the hubs. It is not cheap, but it's cost would probably be a wash with paying a shop to swap them out. And you have a tool that can make you money then as it can be used on just about every front wheel drive hub and bearings.

15000rpms
12-26-2010, 08:48 PM
There is a tool out there called a "Hub Tamer" it will allow you to swap out the bearings WITHOUT removing the hubs. It is not cheap, but it's cost would probably be a wash with paying a shop to swap them out. And you have a tool that can make you money then as it can be used on just about every front wheel drive hub and bearings.

I've used something like this from o'reillys that I rented. There were no instructions, but I had already taken the kunckle off. It was not that simple to use, but worked once everything was matched up. There were many cylinded thingys to choose from and one of them actually cracked during use. I would have to try again one day using the hondatech thread as reference.

ezep3
01-04-2011, 06:12 AM
I replaced both front wheel bearing when I had my passenger side go bad. Only one was bad but now I have two less to worry about failing.

Gotta remove everything. It's pretty easy though and I'm not as mechanically inclined like others on this forum.

You did it at home without a press??

talonXracer
01-04-2011, 06:16 AM
I have removed the bearing with a drift, a old bearing and a stiff hammer swing. The new bearing can be inserted with a large "C"clamp and a old bearing shell. But it is not an easy task without the proper tools.

ezep3
01-04-2011, 06:38 AM
Sounds simple but requires a lot of elbow grease, anyone know a cheap place to find the wheel bearings? I found them at majestic for $63 each but would like to find them a little less exPensive if possible