PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Water in the Intake!

kmbkk
11-30-2010, 10:09 PM
Well, my son decided to take the EP swimming this evening. He drove through a large mud puddle and I'm pretty sure the intake (CAI) ingested water, as the car stalled out and now won't start. It won't turn over unless you try jumping it off. My plan is to drain the oil and clean out the spark plugs. I would greatly appreciate any assistance on this as I've never had to deal with this before.

PatrickJamesYu
11-30-2010, 10:13 PM
This was on a mazda forum

Rule #1- DO NOT TRY TO RESTART YOUR CAR!!! water getting in the engine itself doesnt damage your engine, it only turns it off. Its when you try to crank your engine with water in it that you break stuff. If your car dies/bogs down. STOP EVERYTHING, put your car in neutral, get out and push it out of the water, or atleast to an area with less water. I had to push mines while it was raining sheets and there was lighting everywhere. (not recommended as this is dangerous, safety first!)

Rule #2- It sucks, but tow your car home. It would be your safest bet.

Rule #3- Whether you towed your car home or your at the location once all immediate danger is gone, follow these steps...

1-REMOVE YOUR SPARK PLUGS
2-TAKE OFF YOUR CAI. If you leave the CAI on you risk sucking up more moisture that may or may not have been left in the filter.
PULL A FUSE ON FUEL PUMP

Rule#4- crank your engine. The car wont start right up but the water should shoot from where your spark plugs were like a fountain (and your exhaust)... If that happens you should be good to go.. If the crank doesnt turn (nothing happens) after 2-3 turns stop trying to force it.. TRUST ME, its not worth blowing a rod or even worst cracking your block over being impatient..

3- If rule 4 worked for you, CHANGE YOUR OIL (duh, there water in there.. HELLO, like totally)

If your engine still doesnt start from this point (after all the water is out and everythings back together) your engine is either damaged or you may have a starter/ battery problem.

RedSiBaron
11-30-2010, 10:14 PM
well you might as well do the draining/cleaning...you can check to see if there is an indication the oil got wet by seeing if its milky...let the car dry out, give it a try, all you can really do is hope it didnt suck a slug of water into the cylinder and flash cool a rod so that it bends...so have you beat your son yet? i would

or since patrick was posting when i was, just follow his directions

kmbkk
12-01-2010, 07:14 AM
I towed the car home last night, but since it was late and raining, I didn't get a chance to mess with it. I took the intake off this morning and there was a little water in the throttle body. When I get home from work I'll take out the plugs and try turning it over. If that works I'll go ahead and change the oil. If it doesn't work I'll have to figure out what ot do next (after flogging my son mercilessly)!

socmex7
12-01-2010, 11:25 AM
lol, the fear of my dad saying "I told you so" if I ever hydrolocked my motor was enough for me to take it out and sell it :mredface:.. hope everything ends well with the ep!! I also recommend flushing the motor with the drain..

talonXracer
12-01-2010, 11:48 AM
If any sizable quantity of water was ingested before the engine completely stopped rotating(regardless if running or being driven by the driveline) valve and or rod damage can occur. The amount of water would need to be at least half to three quarters the amount needed to fill the combustion chamber at TDC, before there would be any damage.

Any water sucked into the combustion chamber should have seeped past the rings within 30 minutes and should start right up as long as a valve/rod are not bent enough to stop the engine, if there is such damage. It is best to pop out the plugs and push paper towells into the plug tubes to catch any water that hasnt seeped past the rings when the engine is rotated. BUT it is essential to change the oil, use the cheapest you can buy as you need to change it twice to flush the engine before adding in the expensive synth. water in the oil can take out bearings and the oil pump within seconds.

Also alot of times, the water never gets into the engine actually(other than a mist), there may be a little in the plenum, but as the CAI completely submerges, the air restriction is so great that the engine is merely choked off rather than actually ingesting the water into the combustion chambers.

You will NOT ingest liquid water from a totally soaked air filter used in a CAI application, it will simply vaporize and be ingested as very humid air.

kmbkk
12-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Well, the engine is locked up. I pulled off the intake manifold and found water standing in 2 of the head ports. I thought it may be a bad starter, but that wasn't it. I tried physically turning the engine by the crank bolt and the flywheel but it won't budge at all. I guess its time for a new engine.

talonXracer
12-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Pop the plugs out and try to spin the engine. You may be surprised,,,LOL

Unless this is the excuse you have been looking for to justify a K20A2 w/6spd swap,,,,,,,,,,,,

shanewdude
12-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Unless this is the excuse you have been looking for to justify a K20A2 w/6spd swap,,,,,,,,,,,,

Wish my dad had a K20A2 swapped EP for me to drive... I don't think I'd bring it back... Maybe since it's your son, you should put a smaller engine in the car, lol!

kmbkk
12-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Pop the plugs out and try to spin the engine. You may be surprised,,,LOL

I pulled the plugs out and they were covered with water. I tried spinning the engine but it wouldn't turn over at all. I even pulled off the starter and checked it hoping maybe it just fried. But, I'm not so lucky. Seriously the engine won't budge at all. Believe me I'm very tempted to swap in a K24a1. I hadn't thought about the K20a2 & 6 speed, hmmmmmmm.....know where Ican get one fairly cheap?

kmbkk
12-01-2010, 07:42 PM
Oh yeah, if I did a swap my son would NOT drive it anymore. I'll get him a Geo Metro or something like that.

shanewdude
12-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Oh yeah, if I did a swap my son would NOT drive it anymore. I'll get him a Geo Metro or something like that.

Geo Metro ftw! :pound:

whatsvtec
12-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Yeah, seems like 4 cylinders may just be too much for him.

socmex7
12-02-2010, 01:19 AM
Yeah, seems like 4 cylinders may just be too much for him.

lol...

sleepy ep3
12-02-2010, 01:26 AM
Always take off the CAI in winter. I always did. No issues ever

vicx52o
12-02-2010, 03:55 PM
Go with a K24A1! If you look around enough, you'll find a great deal. I picked my K24A1 w/ a DC5 base tranny for $450.

kmbkk
12-07-2010, 12:26 PM
Well, I found a K24a1 at the local junkyard for $450! My next step is to get a header. I'm deciding between the DC SPorts, Megan Racing, and OBX. Eventually I want to go forced induction so I don't want to spend a ton of money on a header if I'm going to replace it in a year or so. To go with that, I want to make sure I order the correct header. I need to get the RSX Type-S header for correct fitment and clearance, yes? I'm doing the swap into my 02 EP3, so I understand I don't need a different sway bar. I've looked through the engine swap and have a pretty good idea of what's needed, but just wanted clarification on a couple of things. Any help is greatly appreciated.

kmbkk
12-10-2010, 12:41 PM
anybody?

kmbkk
12-12-2010, 04:33 PM
Bump, anybody!?!

Twisted-X
12-12-2010, 04:53 PM
"All of these motors require a specific header to clear the front sway or you can run without a front sway. A few headers that clear the front sway are the ep or type s specific dcrh or Strup, JRRH(hits slightly), SSR, Hytech."

Common K24 questions answered (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?43890-Common-K24-questions-answered)

kmbkk
12-21-2010, 08:22 PM
Well I decided to go with the OBX RH. The K24a1 swap is starting Monday!