PDA

View Full Version : type S valvetrain in a3 head

gtimportfanatic
12-04-2010, 07:43 AM
i got springs, retainers and cams and valves.. can i just drop these in my a3 head and be fine or even on my k24a4 head?

yyi
12-04-2010, 07:49 AM
If your trying to run the vtec killer mod, then you need to shave the exhaust rockers slightly for the a2/z1 high cam to clear. There should be a thread on this somewhere.

as for springs and retainers, it should go right in don't know about valves. But should wait for someone more knowledgeable to chime in and confirm lol.

Deadphishy
12-04-2010, 08:11 AM
No, Placing the valve train in a k20a3 or k24a4 head will not work. You need lost motion spings for 3 lobe vtec, and the 2 lobe vtec heads don't have the casting that holds those spring in place.

The Vtec killer set-up mentioned above. You need 8 exhaust rockers and you use them on both the exhaust and intake. This allows the Rocker to ride on the center lobe of Type s cams (the big lobe). But as the name implies you lose the Vtec function.

AUTiger
12-04-2010, 09:49 AM
take the exhaust rockers from either your a3 or the a4, shave them down and put them on the intake side of whichever motor you don't use. I would recommend taking the a3's and using the k24a4 as a whole. Add the springs, retainers and cams. You would then have yourself a vtec killer k24a4 ready for boost. 400+hp should be attainable.

AKEP
12-04-2010, 10:26 AM
I thought you needed the rockers from a 3 lobe also?

i think i get it, then i dont...

yyi
12-04-2010, 11:23 AM
I thought you needed the rockers from a 3 lobe also?

i think i get it, then i dont...

The rockers from the type-s wont work because it needs the lost motion springs. a3/a4/a1 heads can't mount the lost motions springs simply because the casting doesn't have the mounting points for them unlike the a2/z1/z3 heads

Deadphishy
12-04-2010, 12:11 PM
The rockers from the type-s wont work because it needs the lost motion springs. a3/a4/a1 heads can't mount the lost motions springs simply because the casting doesn't have the mounting points for them unlike the a2/z1/z3 heads

You can use 3 lobe rockers to do this too, you just need to lock them all together. Pros and cons to doing this. Pro are the roller lines up perfect and no material needs to be removed from the rocker. The cons are, 3 lobe rockers cost a lot, and thats added weight to your valve train.

yyi
12-04-2010, 12:50 PM
oh right, i forgot about that!

I remeber somebody did this before; where they switched the pins from the left and middle rockers and kept them locked together. and when vtec would engage, all 3 rockers would lock together.
But for what it's worth, deadphishy is right. not worth the money and trouble when vtec killer can accomplish similiar results with less cost, work and valvetrain weight.

I can't imagine that would be good for the reliability though.

VIZHUNZ02SI
12-04-2010, 01:55 PM
its been done k20a2 cams and rocker assembley in a k24a1 head search is key

yyi
12-04-2010, 02:02 PM
its been done k20a2 cams and rocker assembley in a k24a1 head search is key

slightly unnecessary for "search is key" don't you think?
especially if im not the one asking the question and i corrected myself in the post right above yours.

04EP3Hatch
12-04-2010, 03:21 PM
dre run the vtec killer setup, the a3 exhaust rocker setup you know about it right? i texted you about it a while ago, if you have the a2 cams you should be fine, no need to shave, but the springs and retainers are a good idea but you need to change the spring bases so you need to remove the valve seal, no biggie though!

AKEP
12-04-2010, 06:00 PM
oh right, i forgot about that!

I remeber somebody did this before; where they switched the pins from the left and middle rockers and kept them locked together. and when vtec would engage, all 3 rockers would lock together.
But for what it's worth, deadphishy is right. not worth the money and trouble when vtec killer can accomplish similiar results with less cost, work and valvetrain weight.

I can't imagine that would be good for the reliability though.

this.

but the other trick sounds even better since its vtec killler anyways.

gtimportfanatic
12-05-2010, 03:16 PM
dre run the vtec killer setup, the a3 exhaust rocker setup you know about it right? i texted you about it a while ago, if you have the a2 cams you should be fine, no need to shave, but the springs and retainers are a good idea but you need to change the spring bases so you need to remove the valve seal, no biggie though!
kool.. i picked up all the parts mentioned for like 80 bux lol figured id do something with it, at least the cams are worth 80 dollars..i'll text u about the parts ill need and shit like that

04EP3Hatch
12-05-2010, 08:49 PM
kool.. i picked up all the parts mentioned for like 80 bux lol figured id do something with it, at least the cams are worth 80 dollars..i'll text u about the parts ill need and shit like that

alright b let me know, i dont work for honda anymore but i have freinds that can do work for you, even though myhondapartsstore.com is just as cheap!

RedSiBaron
12-05-2010, 11:07 PM
i have a question...just cuz the vtec killer setup nets you more power, is it that much faster than not doing it? all ive seen is videos of people revving and videos of dyno runs and dyno sheets...

i think the vtec killer setups are neat, though i somewhat wonder without added rpms to utilize the hp are they really that useful?

i really have nothing to base it on, ive had zero interaction with vtec killer setups...just thinking outloud

gtimportfanatic
12-06-2010, 04:30 PM
i have a question...just cuz the vtec killer setup nets you more power, is it that much faster than not doing it? all ive seen is videos of people revving and videos of dyno runs and dyno sheets...

i think the vtec killer setups are neat, though i somewhat wonder without added rpms to utilize the hp are they really that useful?

i really have nothing to base it on, ive had zero interaction with vtec killer setups...just thinking outloud

i drove Orlando's setup.. and his car was pretty streetable and was much faster than my EP when it was NA..

Onasty
12-07-2010, 03:50 AM
i drove Orlando's setup.. and his car was pretty streetable and was much faster than my EP when it was NA..

the setup is realiable and streetable and i did all the head work myself which was fun. Dre to run it u just have to shave down both exhaust rockers. through the a2 seats, valve stems, springs and retainers in. You dont have to worry about the time tensioner failing bc its all oem parts and the cam lobe isnt that aggressive. If i were to do the vtec killer with a2 s2 stage 3 cams i woulda been at 230-240whp. But use the k24a2 exhaust cam instead of the k20a2 cam. The lobe to the k24a2 exhaust cam is larger but the intake cam is smaller. When i get a k24a1 bottom thats what im doing and shooting for 450.

If you do this i got a tune for you to try out on ur car.

gtimportfanatic
12-07-2010, 09:49 PM
u have any parts i could use? .. i got my stock k24a4 head and i got the type S valve train.. i think all i need is the other set of exhaust rockers

Onasty
12-07-2010, 10:00 PM
umm i got a whole bunch of those lil black things i forgot what their called. retainers mayb? goes in the middle of the top seat. i got a fresh a3 head. got a prb mani and i also still got those injectors, and a jamica sweatband of urs lol

gtimportfanatic
12-07-2010, 10:32 PM
rofl.. u wanna gimme the exhaust rockers from that A3? lol

Onasty
12-07-2010, 10:34 PM
a3 head no valvetrain

gtimportfanatic
12-08-2010, 04:56 AM
fawkk

SandBagger
12-08-2010, 04:29 PM
subscribed!!!!!!!!