PDA

View Full Version : Mustang owner from FL

atlanticblue98
12-06-2010, 12:06 AM
odd title for a forum like this, i know. but i do not have an EP3, i do however have a 1996 Mustang Cobra and maybe looking at a Daily driver in a few months to a year.

my options have been the SVT Focus because of obvious brand loyalty, but trying to expand the horizons to the EP3. they have always looked neat to me and it's hard to beat Honda's quality.

my friend is also looking at the same, EP3 or a SVT Focus. he would be making his decision in alot more shorter time span than me.

joined up here to learn a bit, check out pics, and ask any questions for myself and my buddy.

ace of spades
12-06-2010, 09:55 AM
welcome. my brother used to have a red SVT Focus. based on looks alone, the SVT looked so much better than the EP from the factory. I believe they are rated for 93 octane though, which may not matter since you drive a Cobra already. EP3s are not.

atlanticblue98
12-06-2010, 12:09 PM
thanks.

i think the Interior goes in favor of the EP3 though. the Focus interior just looks... odd.
from what i am gathering and from being as un-biased as possible, it seems they are both pretty damn comparable and evenly matched

one thing that kinda bothers me, and it's an odd thing to think about is the exhaust. i cant seem to find and exhaust for the SVT Focus that isnt super raspy or "ricey". for a 4cylinder i like a deep tone, kinda like how the intake sounds under WOT.

one that i did hear and liked was on a RSX-S was a Greddy SP2. how close would the K20 in the EP3 sound to a RSX-S? i understand it may not be exact, but would it give a general idea of the tone?

ace of spades
12-06-2010, 12:20 PM
I never liked the Focus dash, the center console shape always bugged me. the seats were nice, but the EP seats are better I think. I also never liked the fact that swapping exhausts on a Focus wasn't as easy as an EP either.

EP3 SP2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ek6-G45rXk

Tokin_Buds
12-06-2010, 05:35 PM
<<< get the EP3 homie !! >> >>>>

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/8746/photo4bo.jpg

Paul 631
12-06-2010, 05:38 PM
You have impeccable taste in cars! ;) This is my weekend/autox ride:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/pj350/IMG_0038.jpg

My final two choices were the EP3 & the svt focus as well, the Ep3 absolutely wins in terms of longevity/durability, e.g. 10k oil change interval, timing chain (not belt), requires regular 87 octane etc. I put 35-40k miles a year on my daily driver, so the civic won out simply on that point alone, the focus's horrendous interior was another detractor for it.

However, even with the civic's optional HFP suspension kit, the svt focus is a much nicer driving car, and agreeing w/ ace of spades, nicer looking as well. Oh, the svt's brakes are lightyears ahead of the civics in terms of stock performance, but with some good pads the civic's will be more than adiquite for anything except track days.

Talking of track days, here's a good review of both, the svt is on pg. 6 (thanks to AOS again!)
http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/comparison/high-desert-showdown/page_3_-_high_desert_showdown-3a_honda_hfp_civic_si_page_3

atlanticblue98
12-06-2010, 06:52 PM
You have impeccable taste in cars! ;) This is my weekend/autox ride:
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y143/pj350/IMG_0038.jpg

My final two choices were the EP3 & the svt focus as well, the Ep3 absolutely wins in terms of longevity/durability, e.g. 10k oil change interval, timing chain (not belt), requires regular 87 octane etc. I put 35-40k miles a year on my daily driver, so the civic won out simply on that point alone, the focus's horrendous interior was another detractor for it.

However, even with the civic's optional HFP suspension kit, the svt focus is a much nicer driving car, and agreeing w/ ace of spades, nicer looking as well. Oh, the svt's brakes are lightyears ahead of the civics in terms of stock performance, but with some good pads the civic's will be more than adiquite for anything except track days.

Talking of track days, here's a good review of both, the svt is on pg. 6 (thanks to AOS again!)
http://www.roadandtrack.com/tests/comparison/high-desert-showdown/page_3_-_high_desert_showdown-3a_honda_hfp_civic_si_page_3

haha, nice Black SN95

mines Laser Red

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5084/5210196033_18b67f2ecb_z.jpg

it seems that the pro's and cons show the Civic to be slightly more advantageous right now

Aaron_in_MO
12-06-2010, 06:58 PM
Honda's projected sales for the EP3 in North America was 15,000 per year. In the four years it sold here, I think they failed to ever hit that target, making it a relatively rare car. Not sure if the same can be said for the SVT Focus, but I could be wrong. Even if it's more rare, it still blends in with other Focus models, that most people won't know it's any different.

*most of my facts are probably way off

Paul 631
12-06-2010, 08:16 PM
It's not in the same price range, but a mazda 3 is a big step up from either, more so w/ the MS3 (with the reliability vote still going to the EP3 however)...

Tokin_Buds
12-06-2010, 09:37 PM
It's not in the same price range, but a mazda 3 is a big step up from either, more so w/ the MS3 (with the reliability vote still going to the EP3 however)...

The MS3 is nice if you think you will be content with its performance & looks, there isn't that much out there for MS3s and there is a lot more oem and aftermarket performance parts for the ep..

It is a kick ass car though, one of my best friend has one.. I still think my ep3 is funner to drive.. it just has a more "raw" feeling about it compared to the MS3s more relaxed performance even though its faster..if that makes any sense.

MugenReplica
12-07-2010, 10:57 AM
I was in this same scenario back in 2004. I found a 2002 Civic SI and a 2002 SVT Focus. I was a die hard Ford fan, who's daily driver at the time was my first car (a 1990 Mustang with 2.3t, Holset, and all Stinger upgrades). Shortly before looking for something more reliable I was driving either one of my two stock XR4ti's (C3 auto or T9) as daily drivers but they kept having breakdowns, so I opted to find something new. I had my heart set of a blue oval, but after a quick test drive of both, Honda's known reliablity, and reading one both Ephatch and Focus Fanatics I opted for the Civic Si. I figured it was time to try something new and see what came of it. Worst case scenario in my head was that the Civic would have slower depreciation than the SVT and I could always swap up later. Now I'm at 140k on the odo, 35k boosted with a JRSC and still on the stock clutch. The only items I have had to replace on my Ep3 are brakes, struts (my fault for buying lowering springs), and o2 sensors. I have had NO problems what so ever and wouldn't hesitate driving it across the country at any point and time. This is just my experience. I still love my Mustang like no other car, but I have a VERY soft spot for Ep3s now as well.