PDA

View Full Version : Tokico D-Spec with stock springs

larryo108
12-06-2010, 01:33 PM
My car is running on Tokico D-Specs with Skunk2 springs right now and the ride is absolutely terrible. The car looks good, but I cannot stand the ride anymore. Thinking of looking for some stock springs and/or shocks to replace my current setup.

My question is would there be any advantage to putting stock springs on the D-specs? Or is this not recommended. I know the D-Specs are shorter, so I don't know if stock springs witll cause problems. Anyone know?

Also, my car is a 2003, can I use 2004-2005 shocks and springs or do they have to be 2002-2003?

Thanks in advance.

Drew1d
12-06-2010, 02:10 PM
D-Specs and stock springs work fine. I'm not sure about d-specs being shorter, but my car sits at normal stock ride height with them. It works fine.

I can't say there would be any advantage to doing so. Really, I think the adjustability of the D-Specs is more valuable if you keep changing spring rates. That way you can adjust them to better match the spring. With my stock springs in the back I turn them 4 turns from full hard. I had them at 6 away, but it was a little too bouncy. The KYB in the fronts feel like 6 1/2 turns from full hard, but of course, they aren't adjustable. So I'm out of luck there.

Springs from any 2002-2005 Civic Si EP3 should work fine. but remember, if you're buying used springs, they might be softer. I have always been curious about Tein H-Techs, A modest drop, progressive wound, and I bet are closest to the HFP kit. But I need the ride height, so it's out for me.

I've tried the coil over sleeves from Skunk2. The front springrate was ridiculous. Every bump the front hit set the shock right through the steering wheel. If that's what you have, change that shit as soon as you can. Buy actually, it's really only the front of that kit that is ridiculous. If you switch the front springs to the rear, and find stock springs for the front. You'd have a car close to stock springrates, but be able to shift the weight front and rear by adjusting the height in the rear. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! Unlike engine tinkering, you won't blow your motor and get stuck somewhere, you'll spin off the road and hit an oak tree.

If you have skunk2 lowering springs, your car must looked really dumped. at over 2" drop, if they sag, i bet you can put your hand on the ground from the drivers seat. Great for dump kids, but sometimes you just need the car to get you were your going without the hellaflushness.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

larryo108
12-06-2010, 05:08 PM
The car does sit quite low. It looks awesome, but I just can not handle the ride anymore. I get the shock through the steering wheel feeling far too often. The car was bought with the Skunk2 springs on stock shocks and it was BAD. I put the Tokico's hoping to make it better, but it didn't. So I must err on the side of practicality.

Drew1d
12-13-2010, 10:08 PM
Yeah, the front springs on the Skunk2 sleeves are brutal. Good luck.