PDA

View Full Version : Best cheap coilovers

arthur
12-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Hey, im looking for some suspenssion improvments for my ep3. I want to buy some fully adjustable coilovers that work best for the track. Im not interested in lowering all the way down, i need the best performance

Now the catch is that i can spend only like $ 1000 top! i will instal them myself and do all tha alignment too.

I have in mind some Megan, but dont know. Are F2 ok? How reliable is buying used coilovers?

Any input is apreciated

Tokin_Buds
12-06-2010, 09:57 PM
... I like my Racelands

PatrickJamesYu
12-07-2010, 01:10 AM
I know a few on F2's
not on ep's but other cars
the VIP guys I know love them
and the track guys say they are pretty decent

I'm all about buying used
but only on certain goods

but on suspension components, especially full adjustable coilovers, I'm a bit iffy
They might have been driven hard since they are a suspension component that can actually take it
unlike tokico blue/ spring set ups or something
those are crap, in my opinion, so the people who have them either
never drove hard cause the suspension suck for it
or are rice and drove them to crap

goodluck!

MBaG
12-07-2010, 02:32 AM
if you want the best performance, you might want to look into a shock + spring combo!

Zzyzx
12-07-2010, 09:23 AM
Best performance? Then wipe 99% of all pre-built coilovers off your list of possibilities.

Just a few tips.

Dampers are far more important then springs. Which gives you very few choices with pre-builts as well as piecemeal setups.
So, in my opinion your only options are...

Prebuilts = Progress C1, Buddy Club RSD's (there's probably others that would qualify)

Piecemeal = Koni or Bilstein. Go Koni if you feel you have to have an adjustable damper; Bilsteins are near works of art internally, as they use the same parts for their street dampers as they do for their race dampers.

for springs, I'd say you should be looking for something in the 1.8 to 2.2 Hz range given the Dual purpose use of the car. and Yes, you should really look up Suspension frequencies on this forum.

Oh look, I found it for you http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?58999-Ideal-Spring-Rates

arthur
12-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Best performance? Then wipe 99% of all pre-built coilovers off your list of possibilities.

Just a few tips.

Dampers are far more important then springs. Which gives you very few choices with pre-builts as well as piecemeal setups.
So, in my opinion your only options are...

Prebuilts = Progress C1, Buddy Club RSD's (there's probably others that would qualify)

Piecemeal = Koni or Bilstein. Go Koni if you feel you have to have an adjustable damper; Bilsteins are near works of art internally, as they use the same parts for their street dampers as they do for their race dampers.

for springs, I'd say you should be looking for something in the 1.8 to 2.2 Hz range given the Dual purpose use of the car. and Yes, you should really look up Suspension frequencies on this forum.

Oh look, I found it for you http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?58999-Ideal-Spring-Rates

in all of this how do dampers come into play. there is how to pick your spring rate but not the dampers. and also how does the swaybars add to the spring rate

Drew1d
12-11-2010, 03:18 PM
Hey, im looking for some suspenssion improvments for my ep3. I want to buy some fully adjustable coilovers that work best for the track. Im not interested in lowering all the way down, i need the best performance
Now the catch is that i can spend only like $ 1000 top! i will instal them myself and do all tha alignment too.
I have in mind some Megan, but dont know. Are F2 ok? How reliable is buying used coilovers?
Any input is apreciated

IMO, best performance on a street car is different than a race car. Race cars don't make good daily drivers.
If your looking on changing the handling of your car, I'd first suggest getting a larger rear sway. It will "correct" some of the factory understeer inherit of a FWD car. It's cheap, you can do the work yourself, and the car shouldn't need an alignment after. (although it never hurts.)
$100 rear bar and bushings, and around $50 for new endlinks.

If this car is going just to be a track car, than you have to know what class your racing in. And first priority there would be tires, I suppose. Although ZZ would probably be a better judge on that.

arthur
12-12-2010, 06:54 PM
IMO, best performance on a street car is differensan alignment after. (although it never hurts.)
$100 rear bar and bushings, and around $50 for new endlinks.

If this car is going just to be a track car, than you have to know what class your racing in. And first priority there would be tires, I suppose. Although ZZ would probably be a better judge on that.

tires i will be using the straspec z1 or something similar. the car has already the progress 22mm rear sway bar and it did change a lot, but now i will be racing against jdm eg6 with adjustable suspension. this car will eventualy be a track car, but for now it still is my DD.

Drew1d
12-13-2010, 10:04 PM
tires i will be using the straspec z1 or something similar. the car has already the progress 22mm rear sway bar and it did change a lot, but now i will be racing against jdm eg6 with adjustable suspension. this car will eventualy be a track car, but for now it still is my DD. If you could find out what class that other car is in, you'll know what you can change and still stay in the same class. If it has a fully adjustable and modified suspension, I'd image that there isn't much you can't change. I looked up those dunlop tires, and i'm not sure what size you wanted to run. I'd probably say the widest you can fit on your rims, or without rubbing. But if the dude is running r-compound tires, maybe consider getting some too.

As for the springs, I'd say you want stiffer, but something that still allows some roll. As for the frequencies and all that, I'm not sure. But maybe you'll adjust that to whatever more or less under/over steer you're looking for. ZZ is an autocrosser. Jedimario is too. Or i'm sure if you ask around maybe you can find someone near you that you can go with. That way, you can see how they have their car setup and see what you like, what you'd change ect..

IMO the adjustablity of a suspension is kinda overrated. Once you have the car setup to what you want, why change? you can't really change the springs out everytime you race or go back to the street. Lowering or raising the car will mean that the car will need it's alignment done. The only thing you can do easy is swap the wheels. And at that rate, why not try and win the stock class first?

Good luck and whatever you go with.

superd16girl
12-13-2010, 10:11 PM
Also, I would suggest looking into what class you are going to want to race in and what groups you want to run with, like SCCA or NASA. I looked into suspension and everything, never taking into consideration how modifications really change classes. My car now doesn't even really fit into an SCCA class and that is who I road race with. So before you get too deep into a car with a possbile racing future, look into it so you don't have to change a bunch of components to your car.

Zzyzx
12-14-2010, 09:37 AM
I have to ask, as it hasn't been addressed yet.

How long have you been driving competitively?

arthur
12-17-2010, 01:49 PM
I have to ask, as it hasn't been addressed yet.

How long have you been driving competitively?

ive been driving for almost 18 months. in the closest track i have shaved off almost 8 seconds from my time i set the first race.

im going to explain abit. i live in Guatemala, that is southern Mexiko. over here the ep3 or rsx are not that common, so there isnt many people that knows how to tune this cars.

the class im running have this , tires with tw as low as 180, allows head changes but stock bottom. anything goes with the suspension. brakes have to be the stock ones, brake pads are open for your choice. roll cage not mandatory but is suggested.

what i have is progress springs and a rear progress swaybar. i want to try and run without front swaybar, because i fell i cant turn in.

on january the next season starts but now i will have to be almost 2 seconds faster. i want to try a vtec killer setup, and imrpoving the suspenssion

emsep
12-17-2010, 02:05 PM
koni+GC

civictype_r04
12-18-2010, 12:10 PM
I like my megans....

arthur
12-27-2010, 03:25 PM
I think Megans ares starting to be a good option. I will probablly change the spring for some higher spring rates after i try them. We will see...

Paul_Wall
12-27-2010, 04:32 PM
Didn't want to start another "What is the best coilover thread" so figured I would post here.

Drive an 05 NHBP with 50k. Right now I am currently on Racelands, and I don't know if i got a bad set or what but these things absolutely blow. Sure for a cheap, fully adjustable coilover, not too bad of a price tag, but as far as daily driving they are just plain annoying. I say this due to the fact that I feel like I'm riding a horse bouncing up/down and get a HORRIBLE clanging/clunking/popping/banging sound from the right front side of the car, and every bump I hit at a decent speed causes the car to completely bottom out and rub the tires in the rear. This is after raising the car up in the front/rear, and rolling the rear fenders. And yes I have had the car aligned after installing the coils and have a camber kit.

Anyways, a local shop here in Charlotte has quoted me a price for some Buddy Club N Spec's with Uppermounts for $1083 plus a $20-30 shipping charge. Figured this is a pretty good deal considering they retail for about $1200 without uppermounts alone.

I basically want a set of coils where I can be somewhat low/slammed but stiff enough that I'm not going to rub.

Pretty set on getting these, but wanted to get a second opinion here on this forum. I have heard mixed reviews about D2's, Teins, etc. I have a friend with an 05 EP as well with a set of Megan's, and they seem decent, but I would rather spend a few extra hundred bucks for something better.

Any thoughts?

MBaG
12-27-2010, 06:50 PM
Didn't want to start another "What is the best coilover thread" so figured I would post here.

Drive an 05 NHBP with 50k. Right now I am currently on Racelands, and I don't know if i got a bad set or what but these things absolutely blow. Sure for a cheap, fully adjustable coilover, not too bad of a price tag, but as far as daily driving they are just plain annoying. I say this due to the fact that I feel like I'm riding a horse bouncing up/down and get a HORRIBLE clanging/clunking/popping/banging sound from the right front side of the car, and every bump I hit at a decent speed causes the car to completely bottom out and rub the tires in the rear. This is after raising the car up in the front/rear, and rolling the rear fenders. And yes I have had the car aligned after installing the coils and have a camber kit.

Anyways, a local shop here in Charlotte has quoted me a price for some Buddy Club N Spec's with Uppermounts for $1083 plus a $20-30 shipping charge. Figured this is a pretty good deal considering they retail for about $1200 without uppermounts alone.

I basically want a set of coils where I can be somewhat low/slammed but stiff enough that I'm not going to rub.

Pretty set on getting these, but wanted to get a second opinion here on this forum. I have heard mixed reviews about D2's, Teins, etc. I have a friend with an 05 EP as well with a set of Megan's, and they seem decent, but I would rather spend a few extra hundred bucks for something better.

Any thoughts?

racelands~ maybe your springs aren't sitting right. i put my fronts all the way down and everybody and their mommas are surprised by how smooth it rides. & for the clunking, i just made sure the springs were on right and it went away. i haven't had a clunk in months & i've never had a passenger complain.

AKEP
12-27-2010, 09:23 PM
do the racelands help with the tie rods V shape? i noticed they have the tie rod mount lower than stock...