PDA

View Full Version : How To: Remove your OEM seat belt buckle when installing a Bucket seat and or Harness

SHG_EasyE
12-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Hey guys, this is a how to on replacing your SRS pre tensioner/OEM seatbelt buckle with a non SRS unit for use with an aftermarket bucket seat or when using harnesses. Using this how-to will allow you to remove the unit while still keeping the rest of the SRS system functional, and will turn off the seatbelt light on the gauge cluster.

The reason for replacing this unit is that it cannot be properly and safely mounted on a bucket seat due to the mounting not being the same as our stock seats. Also, at least with my seat (Memoryfab S68) the OEM buckle is far too high to be able to pass the oem belt through the right side harness hole so the belt is tight against my waist.

In case you guys are having this same issue you can use a driver or passenger side male buckle from a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 8. Im not sure what other buckles will work but from what Ive seen no other non SRS Honda female buckles will work with the EP3 male buckle.

Here is the EP3 male buckle vs. the Evo 8 buckle...

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t131/sohonda_garage/P1080876.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t131/sohonda_garage/P1080877.jpg

Now onto the wiring...

*Always disconnect your battery before doing any work on the SRS system*

*If for some reason you need to reset your SRS light here is a How-To on doing so - http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?43930-DIY-SRS-light-reset&highlight=reset+srs

You can either do what I did and make a plug and play jumper with the female side of the plug or you can simply stick some leads into the male plug. I prefer making it look and function as close to OEM as possible.

I started with the SRS plug. All you need to do with this (and bypassing pretty much any SRS component) is jump it with a 2.2 ohm resistor. This plug is mounted to the bottom of the seat.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t131/sohonda_garage/P1080889.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t131/sohonda_garage/P1080890.jpg

Next up are the leads for the buckle itself (ground, seatbelt light signal, and SRS signal).
You will need to remove the dash light lead (center lead - blue/red tracer) and jump the SRS lead (left lead - red/blue tracer) to ground (black). This plug will be mounted beside the SRS plug.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t131/sohonda_garage/P1080892.jpg

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t131/sohonda_garage/P1080893.jpg

And here we go... Both jumpers installed. Nice and clean!

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t131/sohonda_garage/P1080894.jpg

Tucked away!

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t131/sohonda_garage/P1080895.jpg

usedep3
12-07-2010, 10:22 PM
very nice write up! so, any 2.2 ohm resistor would work to bypass an srs component? i have an after market wheel and i would love to shut the srs light off.

SHG_EasyE
12-07-2010, 10:33 PM
very nice write up! so, any 2.2 ohm resistor would work to bypass an srs component? i have an after market wheel and i would love to shut the srs light off.

Thanks! And yes all Honda SRS components supply a 2.2ohm resistance for the system check when you turn the key to the on position. All you would have to do is unplug the yellow connector for the airbag and jump it with the resistor. If you cant find resistors let me know. I had a hard time finding the 2.2's but luckily a buddy of mine had a bunch of them laying around and hooked me up.

Tortoise
12-08-2010, 03:28 AM
I transferred my seat belt assembly to my rsx type-s leathers. Can i still do this if im using the stock seat belt assembly? I dont really underatand this but id like the rest of my airbags to still work.

SHG_EasyE
12-08-2010, 05:17 AM
I transferred my seat belt assembly to my rsx type-s leathers. Can i still do this if im using the stock seat belt assembly? I dont really underatand this but id like the rest of my airbags to still work.

This is only if youre not able to or dont want to run the stock seat belt. If you just transferred your stock buckle to the RSX seat then you can just plug it in and it will work the same as stock.

slate13530
12-08-2010, 08:12 AM
As always great job!

Tortoise
12-08-2010, 09:41 AM
This is only if youre not able to or dont want to run the stock seat belt. If you just transferred your stock buckle to the RSX seat then you can just plug it in and it will work the same as stock.

I plugged it in and the light wont reset.

Kerby
12-08-2010, 11:16 AM

yeah. This ^^^

slate13530
12-08-2010, 12:07 PM

I think you need to go through the process of resetting the light.

Maybe I'm wrong, but the light doesn't reset by itself once it has been activated.

ImportCustomx
12-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Yup a reset will have to happen if your light was on prior to the install.

give a reset and you should be all set.

SHG_EasyE
12-08-2010, 05:06 PM
Yup this doesnt automatically reset the light, you will have to do that manually via the link I included in the OP. It can be tricky, if you dont do it just right it doesnt work. I actually made a little jumper out of an extra plug I had so I could just clip it on and off easily to do the reset. (I had to do it a bunch of times when I was experimenting with the 3 wire plug)

Tortoise
12-15-2010, 04:32 AM
Tried the reset, no luck. And i know it worked because it flashed saying it was successful.

civictype_r04
12-15-2010, 07:11 AM
Can you make me one for my steering wheel I need to turn the light off....

SHG_EasyE
12-15-2010, 04:36 PM
Tried the reset, no luck. And i know it worked because it flashed saying it was successful.

If you did exactly what I did then it will work. You must be missing something somewhere.

Im going to make a trip to the junkyard this week and see if I can get some more plugs. If I can then Ill make some up and let you know!

Tortoise
12-16-2010, 05:21 AM
No because ive reset it before and it was fine. Maybe theres somethin wrong somewhere else. I guess ill worry about it when the time comes. Shes sittin in the backyard with a grenaded 48k mile a3:(

Manny Kid 15
12-16-2010, 07:51 AM

X2 i want this too, just not to bright when it comes to wiring things

zdiddy22
12-16-2010, 08:00 AM
great write up.

SHG_EasyE
12-16-2010, 03:55 PM
X2 i want this too, just not to bright when it comes to wiring things

I'm actually going to the junkyard tomorrow to get some plugs. How much are you guys willing to pay for these things?

EPWRC
12-19-2010, 10:58 AM
Awesome, thanks a lot! I had just put in some bucket seats and had done the resistor trick and couldn't get the airbag light to shut off. I wasn't aware that you had to ground the belt plug too.

Thanks again!

SHG_EasyE
12-20-2010, 05:15 AM
Gool glad i could help!

civictype_r04
12-27-2010, 10:48 AM
I need one for my steering wheel and both seats. I just picked up some buckets and need to turn off all the lights when I install them. Or do you know the part number for the plugs so I can order them from honda??

SHG_EasyE
12-27-2010, 11:02 AM
I need one for my steering wheel and both seats. I just picked up some buckets and need to turn off all the lights when I install them. Or do you know the part number for the plugs so I can order them from honda??

You cant get the plugs from Honda, they are part of the SRS harness. I can make 3 for you Im selling them for $10 a peice shipped. Same as the ones i made for my car :)

civictype_r04
12-27-2010, 12:27 PM
You cant get the plugs from Honda, they are part of the SRS harness. I can make 3 for you Im selling them for $10 a peice shipped. Same as the ones i made for my car :)

Ill take 3 then..... am I going to need the yellow and the gray?????

SHG_EasyE
12-27-2010, 12:36 PM
Ill take 3 then..... am I going to need the yellow and the gray?????

For the wheel you just need one yellow srs plug. For the seats it depends what youre going to do. If you just want to disable the belt tensioner then you only need a yellow plug. But if you want to get rid of the stock buckles completely youll also need the grey ones. So 5 plugs all together. Id o all 5 for $45

civictype_r04
12-27-2010, 12:49 PM
For the wheel you just need one yellow srs plug. For the seats it depends what youre going to do. If you just want to disable the belt tensioner then you only need a yellow plug. But if you want to get rid of the stock buckles completely youll also need the grey ones. So 5 plugs all together. Id o all 5 for $45

Ill do all 5 then!!!

civictype_r04
12-27-2010, 12:49 PM
This will do the side srs right?

SHG_EasyE
12-27-2010, 01:24 PM
This will do the side srs right?

Not sure if side SRS has a separate yellow plug. Take a look at your seats and see how many connections there are to the car. My car is an 02 so I dont have the side SRS.

civictype_r04
12-27-2010, 01:39 PM
Not sure if side SRS has a separate yellow plug. Take a look at your seats and see how many connections there are to the car. My car is an 02 so I dont have the side SRS.

Ok Ill take a look and let you know..

Slip_Angle
01-01-2011, 09:08 PM
Just want to say thanks for this "How To". My SRS light was on (Code 9-3) so I did the resistor by-pass per your write-up and worked great!

Thanks again.

SHG_EasyE
01-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Great glad it was useful!

usedep3
01-02-2011, 06:20 AM
Just want to say thanks for this "How To". My SRS light was on (Code 9-3) so I did the resistor by-pass per your write-up and worked great!

Thanks again.

i know this is prob a noob question but how do you get your srs code read? via the obdII port?

SHG_EasyE
01-02-2011, 02:01 PM
i know this is prob a noob question but how do you get your srs code read? via the obdII port?

Yup via OBD2 port. When you plug in a scanner youve got a few options including Engine codes and SRS codes.

Slip_Angle
01-02-2011, 04:24 PM
Yup via OBD2 port. When you plug in a scanner youve got a few options including Engine codes and SRS codes.

I couldn't pull the code via the OBDII port. I had to use the method in this post and jump the OBDII pins.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=636707&highlight=read+srs+code

SHG_EasyE
01-02-2011, 08:29 PM
I couldn't pull the code via the OBDII port. I had to use the method in this post and jump the OBDII pins.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=636707&highlight=read+srs+code

really? Thats odd. I know Ive pulled srs codes with a toyota toughbook and snap-on ethos.

Slip_Angle
01-02-2011, 08:39 PM
really? Thats odd. I know Ive pulled srs codes with a toyota toughbook and snap-on ethos.

Must be a Honda thing? I tried seeing the codes with both Kpro and my Brockway R920 (OBDII reader)

holepunch
02-09-2011, 09:26 AM
The stock buckle will work on a Bride seat rail, I had one on mine. It does sit a little high, but not enough to be sketch.

:no pics

BeaterEP
02-09-2011, 09:35 AM
So here's my seat-noob question; when you're doing all of this, are you effectively killing the EP's seat belt tensioner system, or the airbag system (in the case of steering wheel replacement)?
And, if so, do you just avoid that by mounting seats/rails that are compatible with the OEM belt/buckle/airbag?

SHG_EasyE
02-09-2011, 06:33 PM
So here's my seat-noob question; when you're doing all of this, are you effectively killing the EP's seat belt tensioner system, or the airbag system (in the case of steering wheel replacement)?
And, if so, do you just avoid that by mounting seats/rails that are compatible with the OEM belt/buckle/airbag?

Well the reason for the resistor plug is to keep the rest of the system active when you remove one or more components. Whether or not you decide to keep the tensioners or replace them when using a bucket seat is up to you and your specific setup.

BeaterEP
02-10-2011, 07:47 AM
Ah, I see.
So basically, you need to add resistance in spots where you've removed part of the OEM setup in order to keep the rest of the related bits working, and avoid throwing errors. Got it. :thumbu:
Sorry, just not something I'd read up on and I've been thinking about swapping my driver's seat with a proper molded seat.
Next question would be, if I can't keep the OEM fastener, can I still use the OEM belt? Or, will it just not operate properly?
Or, is running a jumper like those described in this thread how you keep your OEM belt working w/o the OEM buckle?
Sorry man, new info for me, just making sure it's sinking in right. :mbiggrin:

firmk20
02-14-2011, 10:06 PM
this is a great write up.

SHG_EasyE
02-15-2011, 05:32 PM
Ah, I see.
So basically, you need to add resistance in spots where you've removed part of the OEM setup in order to keep the rest of the related bits working, and avoid throwing errors. Got it. :thumbu:
Sorry, just not something I'd read up on and I've been thinking about swapping my driver's seat with a proper molded seat.
Next question would be, if I can't keep the OEM fastener, can I still use the OEM belt? Or, will it just not operate properly?
Or, is running a jumper like those described in this thread how you keep your OEM belt working w/o the OEM buckle?
Sorry man, new info for me, just making sure it's sinking in right. :mbiggrin:

You need to find a buckle that will work with your belt. The older non SRS honda buckles dont work. Thats why I used an EVO 8 buckle. There may be others out there without the SRS that will work with our belt but I dont know of them. The jumper is simply there to trick the ECU into thinking the SRS unit is still in place.

CivicSier
02-24-2011, 11:20 AM
Is there a write up on installing new air bags? I need driver/passenger side done... Would I have to replace the SRS module along with the Bags? Would I have to replace the belt sensors? Or can I use this bypass.. What happens if the jumper on the belt sensor falls out will the bags deploy?

SHG_EasyE
02-24-2011, 02:19 PM
Is there a write up on installing new air bags? I need driver/passenger side done... Would I have to replace the SRS module along with the Bags? Would I have to replace the belt sensors? Or can I use this bypass.. What happens if the jumper on the belt sensor falls out will the bags deploy?

Not sure about the airbag DIY. If you want the whole system functioning properly you will need to replace both airbags and both belt tensioners. If you dont mind not having any one component you can use the bypass to keep the SRS light off and keep the remaining components (if any) working properly.

If the bypass falls out (which if you use my plugs they absolutely wont fall out) the srs light will go on and the air bags wont work. There is no risk of them deploying unexpectedly.

CivicSier
02-24-2011, 03:18 PM
Not sure about the airbag DIY. If you want the whole system functioning properly you will need to replace both airbags and both belt tensioners. If you dont mind not having any one component you can use the bypass to keep the SRS light off and keep the remaining components (if any) working properly.

If the bypass falls out (which if you use my plugs they absolutely wont fall out) the srs light will go on and the air bags wont work. There is no risk of them deploying unexpectedly.
Both bags deployed... Would I need the SRS module that was with the new bags, or would the reset fix it?

I also found a 2001 civic 4 door at a local junk yard, Would the airbags work with a 2003 EP3?

SHG_EasyE
02-24-2011, 04:30 PM
Both bags deployed... Would I need the SRS module that was with the new bags, or would the reset fix it?

I also found a 2001 civic 4 door at a local junk yard, Would the airbags work with a 2003 EP3?

Module should be fine, but you might need new sensors up front if they were damaged in the accident. I know the plugs are the same but i doubt you can use them. The airbag unit is bonded to the horn pad and dash pad, never mind the brackets probably arent the same.

sidriverep3
05-09-2011, 04:53 PM
My seats were stolen and they cut the plugs off. My color wires do not match up to yours. Any idea how to figure out which is which? I tried a few combos but I always get a 9-3/9-4 code when I hook the resistor to the two green wires on the drivers side...and I think those are thesrs wires.

Twisted-X
07-02-2011, 05:37 PM
How many watts should the resistors be rated for?
TIA

EDIT: Looks like 2 watts. Thats what I'm going with. Would be nice to get a reply though...

SHG_EasyE
07-05-2011, 06:38 PM
Hey guys sorry for the lack of replys, Im not on this forum much since its so slow. My resistors are rated for 2 watts and no issues.

Also, there are only 2 wires in the SRS plug (yellow) for the seats. No way to screw it up unless youre using the wrong resistor or your connections arent clean and they are adding extra resistance.

Manny Kid 15
07-06-2011, 09:57 AM
are you still selling the plugs so that the sensor light turns off....let me know i am paypal ready

ragebomb
04-10-2012, 10:19 AM
are you still selling the plugs so that the sensor light turns off....let me know i am paypal ready

Hi SHG_EasyE -- still selling those resistor set ups? I'm replacing my stock seats with recaros from the ITR DC5. My understanding is I can re-use my seat belts (gray plug), but the yellow plugs will be left dangling. So I'll need resistors for them. Thanks --

SHG_EasyE
04-12-2012, 05:48 PM

Hey sorry i didnt see this, I have 2 seatbelt light jumpers available if you still need them

Hi SHG_EasyE -- still selling those resistor set ups? I'm replacing my stock seats with recaros from the ITR DC5. My understanding is I can re-use my seat belts (gray plug), but the yellow plugs will be left dangling. So I'll need resistors for them. Thanks --

Yup I actually have 2 left, I need to get more resistors. Shoot me a message if youre interested

Manny Kid 15
04-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Pmed you

Sent from MANNY KID 15 using Tapatalk

fdnyjon
06-20-2012, 05:45 PM
Nicee