PDA

View Full Version : Steering Column Noise - Help

k20a3EP3
12-08-2010, 01:05 PM
I have a 2005. 61K miles.

I know the EPs have a problem with the steering column but I don't think its the same problem.

When i pull away in first gear from a standstill im noticing a quiet clicking noise, not in any rhythm, in the steering column. You can kinda feel it through the wheel. It goes away after a second of driving and does not return until i have stopped and then started going again. Sometimes I will notice it if I accelerate hard in 2nd but not usually. It doesn't make the noise above 5 mph, or when turning. Just from standstill. And I would say it does it 75% of the time. And I notice it happens more often when the car has reached running temp.

Any idea? I think that my wheel feels different, but I'm not sure. Could be me just overreacting. Also, 60K mile tuneup? Anything specific I should have checked or replaced?

Appreciate the help guys.

k20a3EP3
12-10-2010, 04:57 PM
Well it seems this is an odd problem due to the views but no reply. It hasn't gone away but has seemed to subside a bit. Happens more often when im starting on a hill. Just got cold here in the NE and have been using the heat too. Weird.

DarkStrado
12-14-2010, 08:11 PM
I can't find it. but on these forums, they talk about the problem. it's common for the ep3.
keep lookin on here.

msully93
12-14-2010, 08:43 PM
ive got the same thing happening to mine right now. i replaced my suspension to tokico hps when i heard it happening just to lower it. then it just came back recently, and it just happened to be the top hat. it could also be your ball joints, but those usually dont go til about 120k miles. alot of EPs have the problem with their top hats, people just overlook it and assume the worst

akqowns
12-15-2010, 02:45 AM
dang..
i ve exactly same problem as urs,
i have no idea where it come from, i was just thought that its from suspension tho , take it to dealership and get checked they might know ..
and also i hear clicking noise when i pass the speed bump or badass road, i believe its from suspension ,

ep_curious
12-15-2010, 07:14 AM
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?54406-How-to-fix-creaky-squeaky-steering-rack!&highlight=steering+column

I have this problem too, i think this link covers how to fix it...though i havent tried it yet...its too damn cold...lol

whatsvtec
12-15-2010, 08:01 AM
Same problem here. Mostly the left side, but sometimes on the right side too. I thought it was my cv's

k20a3EP3
12-16-2010, 07:08 AM
Appreciate the responses. It is frigid up here in PA. 19 degrees this AM. It was about 50 degrees this weekend when the noise went away, but since the temp dropped again it has come back.

k20a3EP3
12-16-2010, 07:11 AM
I don't know if that link is my problem. Its not realyl a squeak or creek but a click. And not when going over uneven road or turning the wheel. Just for the second after starting from a stop. And the noise is more pronounced when starting going uphill. Meh. Its not unbearable but annoying.

What is a top hat?