PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust quesiton/opinion

Polish Thug
12-08-2010, 01:39 PM
Currently I have a Magnaflow catback exhaust on my 04. I am looking to get a race header, but I am not looking to spend a fortune for one. So I was looking at 2 options and wanted to know what the community thinks.

Option 1: Purchase new OBX race header off ebay, install, done.

Option 2: Purchase used Rsx type s race header, get a used rsx-s midpipe from good friend for $40, stock ep3 axelback, sell magnaflow catback maybe?

So if it was your money, what would you do? I currently drive the car about 100 miles per day and I don't mind a loud exhaust but i don't want something that is unbearable.

jri93
12-08-2010, 02:04 PM
it depends on what you care about more. the obx will show better performance gains, however you can expect it to be loud as hell and probably pretty raspy. i own the obx header and had to switch to a twinloop muffler instead of stock because it was too raspy without a cat. i would bet that with the type s header and cat will show minimal if any gains at all and i wouldent waste my time and effort.

my honest opinion... dont do anything, leave it as it is. the type s setup is basically the same thing you have now and if you switch to the obx race header you will just be making your car annoyingly loud and sacrifice low end tq for a minimal top end gain. the k20a3 is better off with the extra tq down low if you ask me.

vicx52o
12-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Shoulda hopped on the private label/kidd racing header when it was on sale (Black Friday)... Can't beat $325 for a great quality header.

Passenger
12-08-2010, 02:21 PM
I have the OBX RH with a greddy exhaust.. Its not really even that loud unless you're above 4K Rpms, and even then its not screaming loud like a n1 muffler

RedSiBaron
12-08-2010, 02:45 PM
id suggest picking up an ITR header instead of the type s, its a 4-2 pies top and the downpipe to the cat is 2-1...the cat flows very freely...the type s header is a shorty header into a downpipe...its a very minimal upgrade...then get a type s midpipe and that will bolt right up to your oem axleback...thats what i say you do...

/-/O/\/D/\ EP3
12-08-2010, 03:06 PM
^ ---agreed....i'd go the same route....

EPSU3
12-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Currently I have a Magnaflow catback exhaust on my 04. I am looking to get a race header, but I am not looking to spend a fortune for one. So I was looking at 2 options and wanted to know what the community thinks.

Option 1: Purchase new OBX race header off ebay, install, done.

Option 2: Purchase used Rsx type s race header, get a used rsx-s midpipe from good friend for $40, stock ep3 axelback, sell magnaflow catback maybe?

So if it was your money, what would you do? I currently drive the car about 100 miles per day and I don't mind a loud exhaust but i don't want something that is unbearable.

I think he's saying that he is going to buy an RSX S race header and mid pipe combo to mate to the stock axle back. I'd go this route. I had a skunk 2 mega power exhaust with a test pipe and it was too loud for my taste. I switched to a megan mid pipe, stock axle back and replaced the cat and it sounds much better. I'm not sure how loud the magna flow is without a cat, but it should be louder than stock.

BeaterEP
12-08-2010, 07:39 PM
If it's an option, I'd def say go with the ITR header/cat/midpipe to stock axle back. I still wish I'd known about that setup when I was sourcing type S exhaust parts, I'd have gone that route.

jed_averill
12-08-2010, 08:18 PM
I have the OBX RH with a greddy exhaust.. Its not really even that loud unless you're above 4K Rpms, and even then its not screaming loud like a n1 muffler

Second that. I have it. lol. It rattles the environment.

SwA
12-13-2010, 06:14 AM
it depends on what you care about more. the obx will show better performance gains, however you can expect it to be loud as hell and probably pretty raspy. i own the obx header and had to switch to a twinloop muffler instead of stock because it was too raspy without a cat. i would bet that with the type s header and cat will show minimal if any gains at all and i wouldent waste my time and effort.

my honest opinion... dont do anything, leave it as it is. the type s setup is basically the same thing you have now and if you switch to the obx race header you will just be making your car annoyingly loud and sacrifice low end tq for a minimal top end gain. the k20a3 is better off with the extra tq down low if you ask me.
i agree with him...