PDA

View Full Version : ABS help? Where does the paperclip go?

IBx1
12-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Hey guys, I've been having an ABS light for a while now and remembered that there's a trick to getting the codes without dumping $40 on a scanner. I did some research but can't figure out which connector I need to put the paperclip in. Is it the brown one on the left of this first picture, the blue one in the second, or am I in the completely wrong place for the EP3?

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h15/IBx1/1212001300a.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h15/IBx1/1212001302a.jpg

Also, once I get the clip in and secure, I turn the key to on without starting the engine, right? I know how to read the codes once the light starts flashing.

Twisted-X
12-12-2010, 11:47 AM
From everything I've been able to find doing a search you can't reset it (the stealership can), you have to fix the problem and it will reset on its own after 30 minutes of driving. Sounds like you need to have the ABS codes read.

EDIT: Someone did mention pulling the ABS fuse, but the indicator light is just going to come back on if you haven't fixed the problem...

IBx1
12-12-2010, 12:29 PM
I'm trying to read my codes. An ABS code reader is just two pins that short a particular circuit to make the ABS light flash out the codes, but instead of paying $40 for a reader you can just use a paperclip.

What I'm asking is, if you had an ABS code reader, where would you plug it in? That's where the paperclip needs to go.

IBx1
12-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Well, I figured it out, you have to jump the 4 and 9 pin in the OBD-II port. I have an ABS-15 and EPS-22 code, so I'm going to look those up real quick.

Twisted-X
12-12-2010, 04:26 PM
Sorry I wasn't much help there, everything I found in searches said that only a dealer could read 'em. So you shorted pin 4 and 9 of the light blue connector in the second pic to get the codes, right?

ABS code 15: "Right rear wheel sensor (open/short to body ground/short to power) (19-45 of the FSM)
EPS code 22: "A problem with the average for vehicle speed and engine speed/ excessive change in vehicle speed sensor signal" (17-33 of the FSM for troubleshooting)

IBx1
12-12-2010, 07:20 PM
That's ok, now you know the trick that'll save you $100+ at a dealership. As long as you know how to count blinky lights, a paperclip closing the 4-9 circuit is all you need.

Seems like the EPS code comes on when you do launches in 1st gear, or give the car gas at idle to try and get some heat through the heater core(another story), so I know what's the problem. Like I said though, the code is old and the EPS light hasn't come on in a month or so.

As for the ABS code, it doesn't affect drivability for me, especially since it's a rear brake which doesn't do as much work as the front ones will. Luckily my ABS system is fine and the rear brake isn't locked or frozen from this problem.

Twisted-X
12-17-2010, 03:38 PM
Now, if you can find a way to cycle the ABS solenoids without needing a trip to the dealer that would be excellent...