PDA

View Full Version : Hondata Reflash,keep it or ditch it?

blue2turbo
12-16-2010, 09:26 PM
So the previous owner of my car says that he paid for a Hondata reflash. At the time he had Intake/Header/exhaust. When I bought the car it had a 2.5" exhaust and that's it. The exhaust was rigged up pretty bad and I didn't like it so I am reinstalling the stock exhaust he included with the car. Basically this is my DD and I don't plan on doing anything to it really in means of power/speed except maybe a swap down the road.

That being said, is it worth me even keeping the reflashed ECU if it's all stock or should I try to sell/trade and get a stock ECU +cash? Any input would be great. Thanks!

USAF EP3
12-17-2010, 12:15 AM
I do believe that reflash was intended for a stock setup..

AKEP
12-17-2010, 02:36 AM
just use it to get kpro on the cheap. reflash's count towards the kpro upgrade. If you plan on swapping, do that instead of selling it.

and i think reflashes were for bolt ons, from hondata:

What if you have modifications?

This program was tuned specifically for a CAI (cold air intake) as they give the best power gains. All future tuning will be done with either the stock or CAI intake.
Headers have been tested with this program. Dyno charts can be found in the tech section (soon).
Test pipe. This will eventually give you an engine check light telling you have a faulty catalytic converter. We have not seen this error cause any power loss.
If you have nitrous this program will probably not be suitable due to the aggressive ignition advance used.
For consistency in dyno testing we suggest you follow the dyno procedure outlined here.

Tuning notes

This tune for 91 octane pump gas. We have not tested it on 87. In the graph above, the change in octane was worth about 2hp and the tuning 8-10.
Two cars were used for testing. A totally stock Civic Si, shown in the graph above, and another with CAI and headers.

http://hondata.com/reflash_civicsi.html

blue2turbo
12-17-2010, 09:42 AM
So overall, it won't be any negative effects to running it? The car drives very smooth with it in there, but I don't have a stock ECU to compare it to. previous owner said he got the reflash from clubrsx... I just wan't sure if going back to the restrictive stock exhaust system and intake would be a problem.

AKEP
12-17-2010, 02:57 PM
nope. just run it.:mcool:

introvert
12-17-2010, 03:13 PM
That being said, is it worth me even keeping the reflashed ECU if it's all stock or should I try to sell/trade and get a stock ECU +cash? Any input would be great. Thanks!

Been debating on whether or not to get a reflash for a while. If you do plan on swapping it out with stock, I'd definitely be interested in a stock+cash trade. :msmile:

EPSU3
12-17-2010, 05:07 PM
If you don't mind paying for premium keep it. I was all geared up to get it for christmas but the EP is going back to long distance commuter status and I don't want to shell out the extra 20 cents a gallon. I hear its smooth and fun though.

i_love_my_ep3!
12-18-2010, 01:27 PM
well if you dont plan on keeping it ill take it as well with cash and my ecu:mbiggrin:

blue2turbo
12-18-2010, 03:49 PM
If you don't mind paying for premium keep it. I was all geared up to get it for christmas but the EP is going back to long distance commuter status and I don't want to shell out the extra 20 cents a gallon. I hear its smooth and fun though.

So the EP doesn't HAVE to run on 91/93? I was under the impression that it did. My ex girlfriend had an 06' Si and it was written right on her gas cap that she has to run 91+. I personally haven't owned a car that has run on regular in the last 2 years. My VW and MR2 both ran on 93 so I guess I'm used to it. But if I can remove it and run regular, that is also a possibility... interesting.

whatsvtec
12-18-2010, 04:05 PM
I believe the new si's run 91+ on thes stock ecu just like the type-s is also 91 octane
Yours with the reflash is now tuned for 91 octane as well, so I'd recommend running that

blue2turbo
04-29-2011, 05:36 AM
Alright, so after awhile, I have sent an email to the clubrsx guys that sell the Hondata reflash to try and get confirmation that the ECU is in fact reflashed because with gas prices on the rise and this car being strictly a daily driver that is 100% stock (minus Hondata airbox mod) I have decided to trade it for stock ECU + cash.

Does anyone know another way to tell if it is infact reflashed? I have pulled the car to rev limiter twice to see where it was set and it revs to about ~7700. Where does the stock cut off?

Also if I end up trading, will any 02-05 Si ECU work, or does it have to be from an 04-05 since mine is an 04? Any insight would be great. Thanks!

whatsvtec
04-29-2011, 05:56 AM
You're definitely re-flashed if you can pull to 7700rpms. Stock fuel cut off happens at ~7100rpms I believe? I wish you were closer Blue2turbo, I'd be interested in trading.

boricua4life
04-29-2011, 06:05 AM
if you end up trading it you would need to get your key reprogrammed to the stock ecu your getting. i believe the stealership does that but for how much? i dnt know. but there shouldnt be any problem with that

usedep3
04-29-2011, 06:13 AM
you should call honda and confirm when the ecu was reflashed. hopefully it was reflashed before the price drop. it makes the upgrade to kpro that much cheaper. def an incentive

blue2turbo
04-29-2011, 08:12 AM
Local honda dealer would be able to tell me if the ECU was reflashed? I emailed the Hondata guys as they instructed me to do, but got no response.

Also, it will def rev past 7100 no problem at all. I've only done it twice total I think as I try to squeeze every MPG I can out of it.

I will also call Honda about reprogramming a different ECU for my key. I didn't even realize that, but then again, I've been driving MKII MR2 turbos for the last 6 years so I haven't been up to speed with new technology lol, hell you can't even reflash MR2's and mine runs an AEM.

Only reason I kept the ECU was because I've been tossing the idea of doing the A2 swap and upgrading to KPRO like mentioned, but I don't want to drop the money on it. The car is fantastic for a daily driver and I don't need it faster. Plus I plan on possibly picking up the 2012/2013 Fiat 500 Abarth if it makes it stateside, so saving my money rather then starting another modding money pit :)