PDA

View Full Version : Two More Years

EPSU3
12-17-2010, 05:15 PM
So I have been thinking about selling the EP for the past 4 months or so. When I originally bought the EP it was a combination graduation gift/need it as a commuter car. My plan was always to make it a fun daily driver and sell it after college. Four years of college came and went and real life rushed in. After one year of saving for an Audi or BMW I decided to enroll in grad school. Looking at my finances and my 100 mile a day commute I decided to reinvest and maintain the EP. Now I am telling myself that once grad school is over I'll sell it. I'm coming to realize that this probably won't happen. I teach eleventh grade US History at a school that specializes in engineering. We were discussing what if you could only own one car for the rest of your life, what would it be? Through the various stages of my life I realize that this strange little black sheep hatchback is that car. I can't bring myself to get rid of the damn thing because it does everything I ask it to. The car isn't terribly fast, but it is fun. It's not the best handling, but it's far more agile than the prelude it replaced. It doesn't get the gas mileage of my grandfather's Insight, but it averages 33 with a little TLC. It has got me through 4 moves and several trips up and down the East Coast. So that was my little emotional rant. I'm approaching 100k miles, and I'll probably be in it for 100k more.

eccramer
12-17-2010, 05:55 PM
It's refreshing to see someone else with the same philosophy that I have. The EP3 is an imperfect car theoretically, but practically it seems like the perfect car for a certain kind of person. It's not the fastest, but it's definitely not slow, and it carries everything I ask it to. It seems like all you find around here is hate for the EP. A constant refrain of "It's too slow!" or "It doesn't handle well.", or "It's not worth the money, trade it in and get [insert sportscar here]!". It's true that the EP3 isn't a sportscar, but it is a fine sporty hot hatch of which there is a shortage in the United States. It's even a reasonable Autocross car if you're just worried about having fun and not about serious competition. I have no illusions about what the EP3 can do, but it's nice to hear someone sing its praises instead of cry about its drawbacks for once.

Johnny
12-19-2010, 02:41 AM
You still have it because your a smart man.

I bought my Civic with two things in mind. Reliability and a hatchback. The fun that comes from driving was just a plus to an already good car. Enjoy your car for the years to come.

Hasbro
12-19-2010, 03:00 AM
I bought my EP with the intent of keeping it forever. Mine's gutted so it holds a ton of stuff. It has a great chassis and the suspension can be dealt with. It's not true that the EP isn't a sports car. The Si isn't a sports car. Drop a few hundred pounds, add a bunch of caster and a few other tweaks (ok, a lot of tweaks) and you have a performance vehicle that gets great mileage, spacious, and can last a long long time. Beam me up, Scotty

66elwood99
12-19-2010, 07:01 AM
Funny how life gets in the way of spending money on vehicles....... After grad school there will be diapers, baby sitters and toys for others :preggers:

Three more years of Pitt for the third child and THEN I can afford my NSX...

until then I keep racking up the miles on the ep........

Paul 631
12-19-2010, 07:13 AM
Similar situation, finishing grad school, ep3 paid off etc... bottom line is it's not a sports car, but it's a great SI.

EPSU3
12-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Funny how life gets in the way of spending money on vehicles....... After grad school there will be diapers, baby sitters and toys for others :preggers:

Three more years of Pitt for the third child and THEN I can afford my NSX...

until then I keep racking up the miles on the ep........

Well kids mean one day a sedan. That means I can justify an S4 or an M3 later...

Yo_KyleEP3
12-20-2010, 01:36 PM
120k here and Still love mine but its a more hate/love thing haha

2k3hatchie
12-20-2010, 01:51 PM
78k on the clock. I see myself keeping it till at least 200k and don't foresee any reason to get rid of it. I'm always looking at the new Si's and the CR-Z but every morning I hop into the EP I'm reminded why I bought it in the first place. The only thing that's got my goat right now is the lack of a 6th gear, but that WILL change in the future.