PDA

View Full Version : What to fill the tranny with?

Aklass
12-18-2010, 06:15 PM
What oil do you guys recommend filling the tranny with? My dad keeps telling me to fill it with Mobil-1 5W-30, however I don't think thats right..

beechstreet
12-18-2010, 06:18 PM
You can use a 5w-30 but I'd personally suggest Amsoil MTF

AKEP
12-19-2010, 12:21 AM
use honda, amsoil, or redline mtf. i put that m1 5-30) in my tranny and its notchy. also if u have extended warrenty, it will void it if u bring it in.

whatsvtec
12-19-2010, 12:56 AM
Please feed your timebomb some MTF, it will appreciate it.

Redline or Amsoil for sure

Aklass
12-19-2010, 05:39 AM
I work at a garage so Honda gives us a discount, how much is it nornally for a box of MTF

talonXracer
12-19-2010, 10:05 AM
MTF's in most instances are comparable in viscosity to a 30 weight oil. BUT they are significantly different than a motor oil by the types and quantity of additives they contain. Will a motor oil work, yes, but I wouldnt use it except in an emergency. There is ZERO synchro friction modifiers in motor oil and the synchros are already a weak issue, so why use something that is guaranteed to trash the trans!

I use Honda`MTF or Pennzoil Synchromesh. Also make sure to change it every other engine oil change and the synchros will last a long time(it is only 1.5 qrts)

r6punk
12-19-2010, 08:26 PM
MTF's in most instances are comparable in viscosity to a 30 weight oil. BUT they are significantly different than a motor oil by the types and quantity of additives they contain. Will a motor oil work, yes, but I wouldnt use it except in an emergency. There is ZERO synchro friction modifiers in motor oil and the synchros are already a weak issue, so why use something that is guaranteed to trash the trans!

I use Honda`MTF or Pennzoil Synchromesh. Also make sure to change it every other engine oil change and the synchros will last a long time(it is only 1.5 qrts)

shit you serious? my mechanic actually "recommended" synthetic 5w-30 for the tranny! i was suspicious as well but he showed me some site that said this is the one to use and it'll last the life time of the car.
i'll definitely get the honda MTF for my next oil change if its going to damage the synchros.

civictype_r04
12-19-2010, 08:43 PM
I use royal purple and change it every other oil change...