PDA

View Full Version : Trunk Mounted bike rack

satanicboner666
12-18-2010, 10:40 PM
Anyone out here run a trunk mounted bike rack? I'm too broke to run a roof or hitch rack so I'm looking for a trunk mounted on that fits our car nice and snug. Not too worried about the paint, I bought it from a previous owner who rode a lot of bikes and never used a trunk mount, so the bumper is missing a ton of paint from chain rings. More concerned about not losing my new GT Force 1.0 off the back :mtongue: considering its a 2,300$ bike! :mconfused:

ace of spades
12-18-2010, 10:50 PM
I have an Allen 4 bike strap-on (not that kind) that's for minivans and suvs. I only use it for my wife's suv because the lower straps really bend the bumper under the truck. I'm too afraid to install it on the EP. it only needs a 2" bumper shelf to be mounted, and it should work. there really isn't a lot of stuff under the car to hook too though.

if I remember correctly, there was a black EP with a Mugen type rear spoiler and he ran the top straps through the spoiler. pretty cool...

SHHEP3@UB
12-19-2010, 12:31 PM
The Saris Bones rack is hands down the best trunk mounted rack you can get. A good friend of mine works at a bike shop, and out of all the racks he has sold and mounted on people's cars, the Saris is the sturdiest. I have one, and it held three 30 lb mountain bikes at highway speeds without any problems. I ride a Specialized FSRxc, which has a similar frame as your Force 1.0 in that it has a sloping top tube, so I had to buy an extender bar from saris that links between the headset and the seat. Also I can see a problem if you have a Type-R of a HFP wing, might be too much pressure on it, but the stock wing is just fine. I've had the rack for five years and no complaints.

The "Bones" line is the best:

http://www.saris.com/bike-racks/vehicle-racks/trunk-racks.html

MEAN IRISH GUY
12-19-2010, 02:44 PM
what he said^. if you cant go roof rack go with the saris. or look around craigslist for a roof rack for cheap. got my whole yakima roofrack for 125.

satanicboner666
12-21-2010, 11:54 AM
My sister has the saris guardian 3 so I tested it out and it worked pretty good. It doesn't fit the ep like a glove, but it's real close and it still fits super snug if you tighten it down well. It held 3 full suspension bikes on the freeway with no problems. I removed my rear spoiler, didn't wanna risk cracking it with 90+ pounds of pressure. I tightened the bottom straps down on top of each other on the stock tow hook on the back, its a real secure place for them, much better than a flimsy bumper.

civictype_r04
12-21-2010, 12:07 PM
I have an Allen 4 bike strap-on (not that kind) that's for minivans and suvs. I only use it for my wife's suv because the lower straps really bend the bumper under the truck. I'm too afraid to install it on the EP. it only needs a 2" bumper shelf to be mounted, and it should work. there really isn't a lot of stuff under the car to hook too though.

if I remember correctly, there was a black EP with a Mugen type rear spoiler and he ran the top straps through the spoiler. pretty cool...

I remember that