PDA

View Full Version : random ? about our calipers

Sooky
07-17-2002, 03:33 PM
have u guys noticed that our back brake caliperes are gold and the front ones are silver?........

just wondering if there's some other purpose to it rather than to tell which caliper goes to the back and which goes to the front during assembly

NetDragon
07-17-2002, 03:36 PM
As far as I can remeber mine are silver color front and back. My Si is in the bodyshop right now however, looking like they will have it until Tuesday.. Grrrrr! I miss my baby!

SBC31
07-17-2002, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Sooky
have u guys noticed that our back brake caliperes are gold and the front ones are silver?........
I just noticed that mine is that way too.

just wondering if there's some other purpose to it rather than to tell which caliper goes to the back and which goes to the front during assembly
I'm assuming that the front ones are the same calipers that Honda uses on the other Civic's so they are using existing parts. Since rear ones are new to the 02 Civic, then they must have gotten a different supplier for the calipers. I doubt they are different colors for the assemblers, the rear ones are way smaller then the front ones. That alone should be obvious when assembling the cars.

Hondatech;
Any better info on why the different colors?

Hondatech
07-17-2002, 06:11 PM
Any better info on why the different colors?

Thats a REALLY good question.... I wondered if heat (fronts are gonna get hotter then rears) had anything to do with it. but after looking at mine, it seems way too evenly colored for that to be the case.... The different supplier idea sounds pretty solid. I think we've got the same front brakes as the EX/Si coupes... I'll look into it some more.

DownTheHatch
07-17-2002, 06:37 PM
Mine are like this too, its just because one caliper is smaller and might be made of a different compound.

How about some Red Caliper paint? That would look nice with wheels.

SmoothOperator
07-17-2002, 06:47 PM
I was thinking about painting mine red. If you don't do it right though, it looks cheap. You need a high gloss, red paint that's heat tolerant.

SBC31
07-17-2002, 07:10 PM
I did see a Silver SiR here in town, however, the car was rolling and I don't think that person comes here. (yet)

I remember reading a thread somewhere (not sure if it was on ephatch) about someone painting theirs. If you are on here, how about posting a picture for us.

I know the purple/yellow show car in the gallery has red calipers (front ones at least), but I'm not sure if they are just the factory ones painted. I guess our front calipers are the same as other Hondas so we should be albe to get them.

I have a picture of another show car 02 Si with red calipers. The picture is at work so I will post it tomorrow.

DrPimpSiR
07-18-2002, 08:09 PM
I painted the calipers red on my car using the kit from "Folia Tech."
The kit cost $50 cdn at a speed shop in T.O. But I did see it available at Crappy Tire in their big performance parts catalogue.
I chose this kit because it has a two part brush on paint mix, and when dry it looks like shiny ceramic.
I used spray paint on my Ford Probe, that looked cheap!

I don't have a pic to show, but they do look PIMP!
I painted the calipers and the edge of the disk's hub visible through the wheels.

My car is silver SBC31, where did you see that one? Ottawa?

SmoothOperator
07-18-2002, 10:49 PM
Hey Dr. Thanks for the heads up on that kit. I'm gonna check out crappy tire! Get a digital camera already!!