PDA

View Full Version : Thud sound and a little vibration on break pedal

04EpNewb
12-21-2010, 08:48 PM
hey ep3 community

Got an issue with my 04 ep. Miles is at 4100 and i changed the front breaks 3k miles ago. But i haven't changed the rear.

the issue is when im breaking from 30-40mph to a stop the car has a countious thud sound while breaking and a small vibration at the pedal. Has my rear break pads gone out? or is there another issue. i called the dealership for an estimate to change the pads and rotor shaving dam cost 320! FML
sorry but i am truly a newb
Inputs appreciated

27rocks
12-21-2010, 09:16 PM
Did you also get new rotors or have them turned when you replaced the front pads? If not then that might be the issue. Also i would double check all the bolts on the calipers and front wheels.

04EpNewb
12-22-2010, 12:59 AM
I had my front pads changed and had them shave the rotors. Dont think the rear pads has been changed since i got it which was at 30k miles from a previous owner. I'm assuming the rear pads are totally out? but wouldn't it be squeaking or sound like metal to metal scraping? Kinda scary tho when breaking you can hear the thud as if it's claping with the vibration at the break pedal

Drew1d
12-22-2010, 09:09 AM
This is going to sound strange, but it was a strange problem. I bought new rotors, brake pads and calipers for the front of my EP. The brake pads were after market, but I reused the same metal backing from other brake pads. After about a month, it made a tremendous thud after I would go from a stop. And other noise when braking. The brakes worked fine, it was just crazy noisy.

I removed the front pads, and noticed that small, "grit" was getting between the shim and the back of the pad. I cleaned the pads and shims with Brake Kleen and regreased and re assembled. I made sure the back of the shim was sticky to the pad. (albeit only with grease.) Afterwards, no noise and no problems for the last 15k. (5 months)

So I'd say take it apart, inspect it and re assemble, perhaps you missed something, or the mystery noise just might go away. Good luck.

firmk20
12-22-2010, 09:11 AM
check to make sure your lugs are tight too. could be that simple also.