PDA

View Full Version : Limited Slip Differential AKA LSD

spartan
12-21-2010, 11:58 PM
Hey guys I wanna know what kinda LSD's and transmissions your rockin.
I would also like to know what kinda problems you've ran into.
I really want the K20A2 transmission with a stage 2 clutch not too sure yet on a light weight flywheel & i was thinking wavetrac LSD or Quaife LSD. or whatever is cheaper with good reviews.
GO!

usedep3
12-22-2010, 05:39 AM
make sure you get the new wavetrac LSD. there was a major problem with the older ones. The splines inside the LSD that the axles attach to were a hair too small. the problem was axles were getting stuck, the c-clip wouldn't release the axles and people werent able to get their axles out. wavetrac took full responsibilty and replaced the LSD and fixed any and all issues related to the axles for people who bought their older version LSD that have this problem. the newer wavetrac LSD should not have this problem. wavetrac's customer service is amazing BTW

civictype_r04
12-22-2010, 05:58 AM
make sure you get the new wavetrac LSD. there was a major problem with the older ones. The splines inside the LSD that the axles attach to were a hair too small. the problem was axles were getting stuck, the c-clip wouldn't release the axles and people werent able to get their axles out. wavetrac took full responsibilty and replaced the LSD and fixed any and all issues related to the axles for people who bought their older version LSD that have this problem. the newer wavetrac LSD should not have this problem. wavetrac's customer service is amazing BTW

Wow that sucks!!!

bchaney
12-22-2010, 06:36 AM
I just got an 07 si LSD. Plan on installing it on a k24 with some 03 accord gears in the ep tranny.

If you can find a used one it's cheaper than all the good aftermarket ones and you can't go wrong with OEM (unless it's for a track car).

civictype_r04
12-22-2010, 07:01 AM
I just got an 07 si LSD. Plan on installing it on a k24 with some 03 accord gears in the ep tranny.

If you can find a used one it's cheaper than all the good aftermarket ones and you can't go wrong with OEM (unless it's for a track car).

How much better are accord gears!!!! I heard the stock gears can take a lot..... I just got my trans rebuilt with all OEM parts!!!!

talonXracer
12-22-2010, 07:13 AM
Accord gears are not any stronger , just a differing gear ratio.

civictype_r04
12-22-2010, 07:25 AM
Accord gears are not any stronger , just a differing gear ratio.

O ok

spartan
12-22-2010, 12:29 PM

what did that cost you for the lsd?

civictype_r04
12-22-2010, 12:31 PM

I think they run like $760 new and like 500-600 for a used one...

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=CIVIC&catcgry2=2007&catcgry3=2DR+SI+%28SUM+TIRE+NAV%29&catcgry4=KA6MT&catcgry5=DIFFERENTIAL+%282.0L%29

D3xn2o
12-22-2010, 12:55 PM
Im Running an A2 Trans and I love it Acceleration is def a big improvement over stock...

I'll be in the market for an LSD eventually but the 6 speed was worth the head aches

spartan
12-22-2010, 01:12 PM
Im Running an A2 Trans and I love it Acceleration is def a big improvement over stock...

I'll be in the market for an LSD eventually but the 6 speed was worth the head aches

nice!
Well im goin turbo so LSD is to minamize torque steer.
Eventually my car will be tracked.
Damn that Si LSD is expensive aftermarket is just a few bills more.
Is it safe to trust a used LSD?

civictype_r04
12-22-2010, 01:43 PM
nice!
Well im goin turbo so LSD is to minamize torque steer.
Eventually my car will be tracked.
Damn that Si LSD is expensive aftermarket is just a few bills more.
Is it safe to trust a used LSD?

Yea it is expensive but you can't go wrong with OEM!!!!!!

AKEP
12-22-2010, 01:59 PM
I got the OBX LSD, but I haven't installed it yet =\ waiting for the motor to come in...

civictype_r04
12-22-2010, 02:01 PM
I got the OBX LSD, but I haven't installed it yet =\ waiting for the motor to come in...

nice!!!

Lucid Moments
12-22-2010, 03:48 PM
I've had the Quaife in my car now for over 6 years and ZERO issues. I track the car semi-regularly with a built and blown K24 and Never a hitch out of the diff. I've replaced a couple of synchros, and swapped final drives a couple of times and the Quaife just keeps rockin along. Granted that it isn't cheap, but it comes with an unconditional lifetime warranty.

usedep3
12-22-2010, 05:21 PM
same with wavetrac. wave trac has a lifetime warranty as well. i accepted the axle issue for growing pains. it was when they first introduced the LSD to the k series trannys. they're apparently all fixed now. slighty cheaper than quaife. plus they offer custom ratios at no extra charge

1GR8EP3
12-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Im actually looking into getting the mfactory lsd, it has a pretty good price and the people that use it on k20a.org havent had any complaints.

usedep3
12-22-2010, 07:19 PM
Im actually looking into getting the mfactory lsd, it has a pretty good price and the people that use it on k20a.org havent had any complaints.

iirc, isnt that a clutch type LSD. if so i believe that'll require maintainence, unlike the gear type lsd like wavetrac and quaife

bchaney
12-22-2010, 07:30 PM

I got the LSD for 425 shipped and it was barely used. They can be had for 400 on k20a.org but they don't pop up too often and go pretty quick. If you're not in a rush just check the classifieds daily.

civictype_r04
12-23-2010, 07:51 AM
same with wavetrac. wave trac has a lifetime warranty as well. i accepted the axle issue for growing pains. it was when they first introduced the LSD to the k series trannys. they're apparently all fixed now. slighty cheaper than quaife. plus they offer custom ratios at no extra charge

Im looking a getting one of them..... Do you have one???

spartan
12-23-2010, 01:53 PM
I've had the Quaife in my car now for over 6 years and ZERO issues. I track the car semi-regularly with a built and blown K24 and Never a hitch out of the diff. I've replaced a couple of synchros, and swapped final drives a couple of times and the Quaife just keeps rockin along. Granted that it isn't cheap, but it comes with an unconditional lifetime warranty.

this is exactly what i wanna hear!
So far Quaife is in the league.
I'd still settle for something cheaper.
If i can find that oem lsd for $400 im so down!
I really wanna know how the OBX LSD performs on the K
I know lots of people who swear by it on their B & D series.

usedep3
12-23-2010, 04:38 PM
Im looking a getting one of them..... Do you have one???

yes, i dooooooo. it was worth every penny and all the heartache. make sure you do a lil research so that you can take advantage of the custom ratios. i just took their standard setup. i got mine from a vendor on the boards.

AKEP
12-23-2010, 08:26 PM
this is exactly what i wanna hear!
So far Quaife is in the league.
I'd still settle for something cheaper.
If i can find that oem lsd for $400 im so down!
I really wanna know how the OBX LSD performs on the K
I know lots of people who swear by it on their B & D series.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=520556
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?60207-AKEP-s-Transmission-Rebuild

Twisted-X
12-24-2010, 10:00 AM
After checking out how rough the OBX housings look, I think I'd get an OEM or spring the extra dough for a Quaife! That's just poor machining. :shakehead:

They must run their bits 'til they break...

D3xn2o
12-30-2010, 07:34 AM
That Wave Trac looks Amazing... I think I might need to get on that ASAP

spartan
01-01-2011, 04:49 PM
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=520556
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?60207-AKEP-s-Transmission-Rebuild

Thanks for the link.
I don't want OBX any more haha.
Anybody ever heard of phantom grip?

lbk02si
01-01-2011, 05:52 PM

Yep Quaife ftw!!

udontknowjack
01-01-2011, 06:04 PM

a2 trans into your ep3 with k20a3? how hard was the swap?

AKEP
01-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the link.
I don't want OBX any more haha.
Anybody ever heard of phantom grip?

yeah i think gtimportfanatic posted up an ebay thing about it. i wouldn't spring for it. i'd rather have an OBX lsd over that.

the obx unit gave me a reason to get a dremel. been wanting one for various reasons. and the work isnt all that hard. the cuts are straight, just not finished.
but if you dont want the obx unit, just go oem. cant go wrong.

RedSiBaron
01-01-2011, 06:19 PM
that phantom grip setup actually works, but its only good for dedicated time attack, drift, gymkhana cars, where you arent putting the mileage on the trans and can tear the trans out end of every season to replace it...

spartan
01-02-2011, 05:11 PM
Cool Thanks for the info.
hey akep how much would you charge or would a shop charge to dremel the obx LSD?

AKEP
01-03-2011, 07:16 PM
Cool Thanks for the info.
hey akep how much would you charge or would a shop charge to dremel the obx LSD?

I'd do it for like $30, cause it takes a while and eats up the bits.
I also reccomend getting this - http://rbryant.freeshell.org/obx_washers.htm

you pay shipping lol.

spartan
01-04-2011, 05:13 PM
that's a lot of shit to do, gonna go with OEM if not then i go with the OBX

AKEP
01-04-2011, 05:25 PM
fasho. its really not that hard, just looks like alot. you have to take those bolts out and washers when you clean it up anyways, so its not really an extra step. kinda of a "while your at it" kind of thing.

seriously tho, if you find a good deal on an OEM unit, go for that. The OBX is work, but thats just me.

whatsvtec
01-04-2011, 06:56 PM

Quick question, what shifter do you use with a 6-speed swap?

AKEP
01-04-2011, 07:15 PM
you keep the same shifter. its the same transmission casing so its like taking out the trans and putting it back in. i tihnk theres a piece you havve to modify or buy from honda though...some shifter piece..

udontknowjack
01-07-2011, 10:10 PM
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2380842

MadLorEP3
01-08-2011, 12:23 AM

unconditional lifetime warranty...ZEro issuse in 6 years
Im going with Quaife
no headache is priceless

wheres a good place to get these badboys

hondero69
02-19-2011, 07:59 AM
hi guys i'm planning install a quaife lsd in my ep tranny 5 speed..what do you thing? i'm turbo right know..any issues? do i need another parts for
install? or what do i need for install quaife? thanks for your advice!

66elwood99
02-22-2011, 07:30 AM
SC'd A3 & A3 tranny with Type R fly and LSD........ bought both used off of Clubrsx and have been very satisfied.

spartan
07-02-2011, 12:41 AM
still looking for an oem z3 lsd :/

RotaryGreg
08-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Hey guys, quick question. Will a Z3 LSD go into my stock a3 tranny without issue? just get a new speedo gear from honda, new bearings, and reassemble? I've done some searching, but it seems like everyone is doing full 6spd swaps and i just want the LSD with all the stock terrible stock gearign that comes standard with my a3 :) . i was planning to do an Mfactory gear LSD, but i always like the idea of oem honda stuff whenever it works for me.

thanks
Greg

Ba82Ep3
08-13-2011, 07:49 PM
k20z3 LSD is a direct drop in. You can use the speed gear off your a3 diff and reuse the bearings if they spec out OK.

RotaryGreg
08-14-2011, 05:55 AM
thats what i figured, but i didnt want to just go on a hunch and end up with a diff that wont work for me.

Its sort of a shame because i was going to order an Mfactory unit. their customer service so far has been great. I asked them a few questions and they got back to me quickly and with serious enthusiasm and interest in what im doing. can't say the same for the other companies.

But this z3 LSD i came arcoss is such a good price i just cant pass it up.

Ba82Ep3
08-14-2011, 08:14 AM
Its hard to beat OEM... unless your going for big power that is.

spartan
08-18-2011, 10:14 AM
I went with a new wavetrac for $800
I asked a company on ebay if they'd accept a payment plan, an they did.
I'm about half way done paying it off.

03 inspire
08-18-2011, 10:48 AM
go with quafie mad mines go through 3 trans and it was still bullet proof!

gtolio
08-18-2011, 01:29 PM
After doing a lot of in depth reading, I've decided to go with the helical mfactory when I'm ready. It sounds like the build quality and tolerances on it are a lot better than OBX and people swear by them after many thousands of miles. I work in the engineering industry and work with machine shops a lot and I can attest that fit and finish and attention to detail can show a lot about how well something is designed on the inside.

spartan
08-19-2011, 03:24 PM
go with quafie mad mines go through 3 trans and it was still bullet proof!

I think Quafie makes Wavetrac.

After doing a lot of in depth reading, I've decided to go with the helical mfactory when I'm ready. It sounds like the build quality and tolerances on it are a lot better than OBX and people swear by them after many thousands of miles. I work in the engineering industry and work with machine shops a lot and I can attest that fit and finish and attention to detail can show a lot about how well something is designed on the inside.

Very interesting, I've never even heard of mfactory, have a link?

gtolio
08-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Review vs. Quaife and OBX. Make sure you find/read Part 2 of the review also:
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2380842

http://www.xenocron.com/mfactory-helical-lsd-limited-slip-diff-p-516.html

AKAahlecks
12-15-2012, 07:08 PM
Sorry to revive and old thread, but....

Can you just straight drop in a 04-05 RSX/TSX LSD into a 02-03 EP3 tranny?

Ba82Ep3
12-15-2012, 07:48 PM
RSX and TSX dont have an LSD. OEM LSD's are found in the CTR/ITR trans and the 06+ Civic SI ... and those 'drop into" an EP3 trans.

AKAahlecks
12-15-2012, 09:14 PM
OH! Dang, thanks haha when I saw differential, I instantly thought of an LSD rather than just an open diffy :mfrown: Sorry

Ba82Ep3
12-15-2012, 09:50 PM
No worries! : )

playap07
04-11-2013, 12:59 AM
Hmm this tread came handy! Im sold on Quaife!!! Lets see what happens...

nhbpa3
01-31-2014, 02:46 PM
Lots of good input here. I have to tear my trans apart for what I presume is a bad main bearing. While I have it apart I wanna go LSD right away. As far as install, have any of you guys had to shim the diff? Kind of a noob to diff swapping.

superchargedk20
01-31-2014, 03:39 PM
Mfactory here. No issues so far. Car still spins to shit.... need tires

spartan
02-20-2014, 07:07 PM
Mfactory here. No issues so far. Car still spins to shit.... need tires

nice!