PDA

View Full Version : how to fix popping noises when i turn my wheel at a stop..

k20pr
12-22-2010, 05:53 PM
Hi I'm just wondering how I could fix popping noises when I turn my wheel at a stop. I have the raceland coil overs . any advice would help thanks

gamma6
12-22-2010, 11:27 PM
Hi I'm just wondering how I could fix popping noises when I turn my wheel at a stop. I have the raceland coil overs . any advice would help thanks

i have this problem too, and its not like a clunk either and i moved the plastic sleeve thing to reveal the rod and cylinder and the thing that supposed to be problem for the clunking seemed tight... i only get a pop when im backing out of a parking spot or parking and its every now and then

chiwhitesi
12-23-2010, 07:10 AM
when you installed the coilovers did you replace the OEM strut bearing?
http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww304/MadLorGLK/025-2.jpg

smykhaisouk
12-23-2010, 07:30 AM
yeah this needs to be greased up really good before install. aside from the popping noises, this also causes the "old door squeak" when its not lubricated enough.

k20pr
12-23-2010, 08:37 AM
I think I used the oem top mount for the coil overs and I did the lube too. but I'll chek the OEM strut bearing again to see if it there haha

gamma6
12-23-2010, 09:17 AM
When i did the install they seemed fine and didnt need replacement, i wont have time to pull them off before i get aligned today is this an important issue?

conceptjdm
12-23-2010, 10:41 PM
i have the same problem

RedSiBaron
12-24-2010, 08:54 AM
The top hat replacement and regreasing is onle ONE possible cause and solution to the popping/clunk sound.

There are two other reasons I have found that most people get a clunk...

first off, check your swap bar endlinks, if one isn't tight, then it will clunk. Not only that but if you have after market sway bar endlinks, they will make more and more noise over time as the joints wear.

Second thing that causes clunks is the bolts on your subframe need tightening. This is usually only the cause/solution if you've dropped your subframe to replace/drop your engine/transmission...when i dropped it to do my clutch I put it back in and torqued the bollts to spec, but it still wasn't tight enough and I had to go back and retighten the bolts.

gamma6
12-24-2010, 10:28 AM
The top hat replacement and regreasing is onle ONE possible cause and solution to the popping/clunk sound.

There are two other reasons I have found that most people get a clunk...

first off, check your swap bar endlinks, if one isn't tight, then it will clunk. Not only that but if you have after market sway bar endlinks, they will make more and more noise over time as the joints wear.

Second thing that causes clunks is the bolts on your subframe need tightening. This is usually only the cause/solution if you've dropped your subframe to replace/drop your engine/transmission...when i dropped it to do my clutch I put it back in and torqued the bollts to spec, but it still wasn't tight enough and I had to go back and retighten the bolts.

if i remember correctly, this cant be done without messing up alignment right? cuz i just got one yesterday :(