PDA

View Full Version : Mugen Lip Cracking Bumper

superd16girl
12-25-2010, 10:26 AM
Does anyone have the issue of the bumper cracking up towards the fenders since they have put the mugen lip on? It started with a small pressure crack that didn't break all the way through, then noticed the other side starting to pressure crack. Then when I was going to take it off to kind of fix it I notice a huge crack right next to my fender.

Its not just a stock bumper either, its the the euro bumper so it is making me angry.

usedep3
12-25-2010, 11:31 AM
do u have the bumper/lip support bar that comes with the mugen lip. it sits under the car and its betwen the subfram and lip

superd16girl
12-26-2010, 11:05 AM
Nope, that would probably help wouldn't it?

charles
12-26-2010, 01:55 PM
wow, the lip usually cracks before the bumper. Is the lip seated to high? other than that , i got nothing

superd16girl
12-26-2010, 02:01 PM
I don't believe so. I bought the car from a friend in summer and it appears to be correct. I have put lips on other cars and from past experience it seems to be fine.

15000rpms
12-26-2010, 08:50 PM
pics would be nice.

superd16girl
12-27-2010, 10:58 AM
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee127/snowboarding_chica0372/IA.jpg

superd16girl
12-27-2010, 11:09 AM
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee127/snowboarding_chica0372/ep2.jpg
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee127/snowboarding_chica0372/ep.jpg

civictype_r04
12-27-2010, 01:34 PM
Any closer pics of it??

superd16girl
12-27-2010, 02:01 PM
Of the cracks or the lip placement?
The lip is currently off the car because I had to change the thermostat and the lip gets in the way. Don't know when I plan on putting it back on since it is winter here. I may just keep the lip off until its summer time.

RedSiBaron
12-27-2010, 02:07 PM
pssst, ashley...repaint the lip before it goes back on...

superd16girl
12-27-2010, 02:14 PM
It needs more than paint and I planned on painting and fixing it up in spring so I will probably leave it off until the lip is in good condition.

RedSiBaron
12-27-2010, 02:22 PM
It needs more than paint and I planned on painting and fixing it up in spring so I will probably leave it off until the lip is in good condition.

good call

civictype_r04
12-27-2010, 02:22 PM
Of the cracks or the lip placement?
The lip is currently off the car because I had to change the thermostat and the lip gets in the way. Don't know when I plan on putting it back on since it is winter here. I may just keep the lip off until its summer time.

The cracks...

superd16girl
12-27-2010, 02:54 PM
I didn't know thats what people wanted pictures of. I don't have any of the cracks, but will take some tomorrow or the following day. I have to leave for work in a few minutes.

civictype_r04
12-28-2010, 07:54 AM
nevermind then

Windchaser
12-29-2010, 07:32 PM
It's mounted incorrectly or you are hitting to many obstacles, which is probably putting pressure on the bumper.

Windchaser
12-29-2010, 07:36 PM
wow, the lip usually cracks before the bumper. Is the lip seated to high? other than that , i got nothing

Charles, out of the 3 lips I installed (among the 5 or 6 I have owned), the bumper starting showing signs of wear while the the lip remained immaculate with only a few scrapes underneath. It wasn't until the car hit a curb at the McDonald's drive thru that caused the lip to crack and the bumper to tear from the fender LOL. The crack was caused by the chassis mounting bar; if the chassis mounting bar wasn't there, the lip would have survived with only a paint chip and only the bumper would have been damaged.

charles
12-29-2010, 09:24 PM
Charles, out of the 3 lips I installed (among the 5 or 6 I have owned), the bumper starting showing signs of wear while the the lip remained immaculate with only a few scrapes underneath. It wasn't until the car hit a curb at the McDonald's drive thru that caused the lip to crack and the bumper to tear from the fender LOL. The crack was caused by the chassis mounting bar; if the chassis mounting bar wasn't there, the lip would have survived with only a paint chip and only the bumper would have been damaged.

damn 5 or 6!!! good to know since I recently picked up a replica lip for the jdm bumper. Off topic question, but is the mounting bar completely necessary or can get away with out using it?

superd16girl
12-30-2010, 01:11 PM
It's mounted incorrectly or you are hitting to many obstacles, which is probably putting pressure on the bumper.

I don't hit anything with that lip. Maybe the previous owner did, but I have not.

Windchaser
12-30-2010, 05:40 PM
damn 5 or 6!!! good to know since I recently picked up a replica lip for the jdm bumper. Off topic question, but is the mounting bar completely necessary or can get away with out using it?

It's not necessary, but without it the lip flexes over time. Remember, FRP matrix is effected by temperature so overtime the mid-section tends to warp, especially when it rains and collects a puddle of water in the middle LOL. The chassis mounting bar helps keep the lip firmly mounted. You really only need it if you are doing high speed runs; during high speed runs, it flaps up and down hitting the chassis LOL.

Windchaser
12-30-2010, 05:41 PM
I don't hit anything with that lip. Maybe the previous owner did, but I have not.

you probably have to go back and re-cut the holes into the right size. It's probably mounted too high or the hole is to small, which cause the bumper to push down on the lip creating those paint cracks and plastic flexing over time.

superd16girl
12-30-2010, 11:47 PM
Ok. I don't know if I am going to waste the time on this bumper. Since it has 3 cracks already, one is cracked all the way through, I may just wait til someday I replace the bumper on this car.

Thanks for the information :)

stealth
01-01-2011, 08:25 PM
Or sell me the lip, I'll even pay you a lot for it :)

superd16girl
01-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Or sell me the lip, I'll even pay you a lot for it :)

Haha um no. Sorry! I think that the car looks rediculous without the lip right now. It doesn't help with the holes in the bumper for the brake ducts, but I don't think I can part with the lip.

RedSiBaron
01-03-2011, 09:01 PM
Haha um no. Sorry! I think that the car looks rediculous without the lip right now. It doesn't help with the holes in the bumper for the brake ducts, but I don't think I can part with the lip.

pssshh shed sell it to me first...right!? :mbiggrin:

besides she owes me i was going to buy that whole front end off the previous owner before she bought the whole car as is haha

superd16girl
01-03-2011, 09:45 PM

besides she owes me i was going to buy that whole front end off the previous owner before she bought the whole car as is haha
Haha i knew you would pipe in soon enough. Yes, I would sell it to you first.
Why didn't he end up selling you the front end?

RedSiBaron
01-03-2011, 09:48 PM
Haha i knew you would pipe in soon enough. Yes, I would sell it to you first.
Why didn't he end up selling you the front end?

haha hey im bored and hitting "new post" give me a break...

and to answer your question, YOU bought the car...haha...thats why

(plus i didnt have the money at the time...)

superd16girl
01-03-2011, 09:51 PM
Oh damn! Well I wanted to car back to stock, since thats how he posted it, but then when I text him he would only sell the car as is. So you could have had it if he didn't change his mind.

stealth
01-03-2011, 10:21 PM

But she should sell it to me because then she'd never have to see it on an ep :)

RedSiBaron
01-03-2011, 11:34 PM
Oh damn! Well I wanted to car back to stock, since thats how he posted it, but then when I text him he would only sell the car as is. So you could have had it if he didn't change his mind.

Haha ah well! His loss I guess

But she should sell it to me because then she'd never have to see it on an ep :)

If you need a mugen lip to modify I have a vis jdm replica that is lightly damaged id sell

superd16girl
01-04-2011, 10:20 AM

If you need a mugen lip to modify I have a vis jdm replica that is lightly damaged id sell

Ya, I didn't want another modded car because I already spend enough on one, now I have the EP too. Its a disease.

stealth
01-04-2011, 09:56 PM

Nah, if need be I'll just pay the $800 or whatever it is at King now. I'd just rather find a used one since I'd be modifying it? Thanks though.

superd16girl
01-05-2011, 12:23 AM
Its that cheap now?! I live like 40 minutes from them. Always liked looking at their back room when my motor was getting built there. So much mugen goodness :)

02TWSI
01-06-2011, 11:05 PM
I'm very confused. Are we talking 04 or 02 style mugen lip

Distance
01-06-2011, 11:17 PM
I'm very confused. Are we talking 04 or 02 style mugen lip

02!

02TWSI
01-06-2011, 11:27 PM
I got thrown off by the mention of the bar, and then brake ducts. Thanks.