PDA

View Full Version : ECU blues...

werkshop
12-27-2010, 01:25 AM
I have this ecu that was sold to me but it's sounds like it is either for an RSX or Civic SiR. How would I know? The stock one in my ep3 is: 37820-PNF-A03, the one I bought was: 37820-PNF-A05. I place it in and all it did was turnover but no start. The guy told me it was the right one. Can anyone shed some light on this? If not, I will have to sell this thing.

werkshop
12-27-2010, 01:37 AM
I'm going on for weeks without her. Kind miss her actually. She starts, then 8 seconds later, she cuts out. I need some serious step by step advice on what to do. I'm kinda new to ep3's since I usually work on e30's. This is a different beast for me. So far I have changed the Camshaft Poisition Sensors. OB2 reads P0341-CMP. Any advice will do. Thanks in advance. I recently was sold an pcm 37820-pnf-a05, when I pulled out the stock one, it was a: 37820-pnf-a03. Now what?

Werkshop

FoReVaPmP
12-27-2010, 06:38 AM
Do You have K-pro???.....

When you said it was throwing a code, what did you use to read it??

It Cuts Out???..... Does the motor sound strong when it fires up or does it sound like its struggling???....

When was the last oil change, what weight did you use???

What made you change the Camshaft Position Sensor???...

/-/O/\/D/\ EP3
12-27-2010, 06:40 AM
just do a swap(k20 type-r or k20a2 type-s) then call it a day...it aint worth tryin'to fix up the stock motor(k20a3)if youre gonna be running into more problems later on... i suggest browsin' thru this site for further info regarding your newly acquired "beast". Goodluck with your new toy!!!

talonXracer
12-27-2010, 06:44 AM
You need to pop the valve cover and check the camshaft timing.

talonXracer
12-27-2010, 06:48 AM
You ONLY need to create a single thread for your issue. That is a EP3 ECU, the PNF descriptor indicates the chassis, the AO3 and AO5 just indicate that the ECU is of a later year construction.

http://www.hondata.com/ecus.html

werkshop
12-27-2010, 10:08 AM
Sorry for the dbl post. Didn't know they'd show up together.

So I basically cannot use this ecu then?

It starts, sounds like it pretty smooth at first, then struggles, then cuts out.

I was thinking that the chain might have jumped. How do you take theses spark plug wires out, and what tools are needed?

I used a scanner and got the code, but looking it up said v-tech controller, in text it said cam position sensor. So I went and changed both of them. Not the V-tech controller.

So do I keep the a05 ecu or is it useless?

vicx52o
12-27-2010, 11:02 AM
Did you get the new ECU synced with the immobilizer/key? That might be the reason why it won't start.

werkshop
12-27-2010, 11:31 AM
Did you get the new ECU synced with the immobilizer/key? That might be the reason why it won't start.

...no, not quite. How do you do you do that? I'm clueless on how to work this new technology stuff. Im used to just plug and play.

Twisted-X
12-27-2010, 02:15 PM
I believe it requires a trip to the dealership to sync the ECU to the chip in the key... Do you still have the original ECU? Do you know for certain there's anything wrong with it? If not, pop that back in and see if it starts.

werkshop
12-27-2010, 03:28 PM
I do have the original back in. Like I said, it starts but dies. When I had the new ecu in, it was turning over smoothly but did not start.

Are they going to charge to sync it?

T_Virus
12-28-2010, 12:13 AM
yes, there is a charge.

talonXracer
12-28-2010, 06:11 AM
The new ECU will not work untill the car is taken to Honda and the internal security codes changed(then your old ECU will no longer work in your chassis without another code change).

It is highly doubtfull that the ECU is faulty.

The code displayed by a universal OBDII code reader will be correct, but the description of the problem will usually be incorrect, Honda and other manufacturers use different codes for than what is in the readers. You HAVE to retrieve the code in this format, PXXXX , and then search that code descriptor either here or in the Helms manual (factory service manual).

Sounds like you need to find someone local to you with Honda Kseries experience to troubleshoot your issue. Be prepared to spend big bucks at any Honda Stealership.

Why did you swap out the ECU in the first place? The code you posted, P0341, indicates that the gap between the intake and exhaust cam is out of spec, usually that indicates the timing chain has jumped timing.

It is not Vtech, but VTEC, vtech is a brand of phone.

werkshop
12-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Ok, what a newb, I'll look up how to remove the valve cover. Will I need to change out the gasket ? I bet the chain did jump.

I changed the ecu cuz a buddy of mine owns a shop a straight out told me to swap it out. May be it is still good.

I will try it this weekend and report back to you.

talonXracer
12-28-2010, 02:31 PM
NOW, there is a chance that the ECU your buddy gave ya has a reflash done on it, or it has Kpro, you need to ask your buddy about the background of the ECU.

I am not so sure your buddy has much experience with the Honda Kseries platform

You should download a copy of the Helms manual, or buy one(80$) as there is no "winging it" with this platform.

Read up on swapping out camshafts etc, to get an idea of what is going on under the valve cover. There are a few DIY videos and threads, Skunk2 has a decent video on their site. The VC has a reusable rubber gasket.

werkshop
01-01-2011, 03:02 AM
Alright, I pulled off the valve cover, checked the chain, and it was TDC with no looseness. I turned it a few revolutions to recheck TDC. It was good to go. So now what? Do I need to go down a check list of things? If so, what else should I check?

jsmartt1
03-26-2011, 08:38 AM
did you figure out what the issue was with you car? i talked to a hinda tech and they told me that if i take it to the stealerchip as stated below that they can reprogram the immobilizer and keys to the ecu and it will work. he sais that it will be an hour shop charge, which here is $100.