PDA

View Full Version : Splicing into tach wire for Viper 5701 install, 03 ep3

Alzg22
01-02-2011, 02:16 AM
Hey everyone, been working on getting this Viper 5701 install for days now, and it's been a nightmare. Anyways, so I ended up passing on splicing the tach wire since all the new Vipers have the smart voltage system that automatically detects when the voltage increases after cranking the engine (and it starts). Little did I know that I can't use smart voltage in manual trans mode, which basically is the mode where you engage the handbrake and footbrake, hit the remote start button on the keyfob, remove the key (car still runs), exit the car and lock it, and the brain will automatically shut the engine off. As long as you don't unlock the car, this guarantees that your car is in neutral since it's still running when you lock it (unless you're fucking crazy and you do this whole operation while the car is rolling in first :meek:). The thing is, if the tach isn't wired, the brain has no idea if the engine is idling when you hit the remote start to begin the manual tranny mode safety mechanism.

Long story short, I CAN'T FIND THE FUCKING TACH WIRE FOR THE LIFE OF ME. I swear to god I metered every damned line I've seen (AC) and have yet to come across a line that changes significantly when revving the engine.

Right now I have the car in automatic mode running the smart tach/voltage settings. I have the neutral safety switch wired to handbrake ground. Only problem is that I don't trust myself or anyone I let borrow my car (given I ever do that for some reason) to leave the car in neutral... I've always put cars in gear when I've parked them. The last thing I want is my car rolling off into a pond, or god forbid, a busy street... My friend was telling me that my stock EP3 would stall out if I tried to start it in gear. I decided to try it in an empty parking lot... and what do you know, it started and dragged the rear wheels with it cruising at approximately 7-8 MPH.

So now I'm desperate to figure out where this tach cable is at (color would be nice), so for now I'm just going to disable the remote start by leaving it in manual mode with smart tach/voltage also enabled.

If anyone can help me, please let me know...
Thanks
AlZG22

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
01-02-2011, 01:56 PM
If you take out the cluster i believe it is a green wire on the blue harness. if you sittin in the driver seat it is the harness on the right side. I forgot if it was a green or blue harness

AKEP
01-03-2011, 03:04 PM
while your at it, would you mind getting pics? im about to pic up a 5701/5901 later this week... =]

VegaS10
01-07-2011, 05:53 AM
Go to the injectors and use the UNCOMMON wire.

Example:

1) red and black
2) blue and black
3) orange and black
4) yellow and black

Pick any color besides black.

Chad
01-07-2011, 07:30 AM
Pick any color besides black.

Insert your favorite Henry Ford joke.

VegaS10
01-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Ya got me on that one.....

tunner2307
01-07-2011, 03:45 PM
The tach wire is under the hood next to the battery between fuse box on the right side. Take a look for a blue wire with some black thing on the end. Good luck