PDA

View Full Version : odd noise when starting engine!

tallblondkid
01-03-2011, 05:48 PM
it began about a month ago. When i start the engine its a loud grinding-kinda noise that occurs as the engine is cranking and stops once the engine is started. it doesnt always do it, maybe half the time. i have no idea what it could be.

username011
01-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Mine too.. it sounds like it is coming from the front passenger side for me.

Deadphishy
01-03-2011, 06:15 PM
Could be the starter motor. When they get old the gear can get hung up and not release from the flywheel. Could also be the idle pulley.

urthworm
01-03-2011, 06:18 PM
mine does it only when its cold.. its the starter. This is the second winter its done it so i dont think its anything to worry to much about.

smykhaisouk
01-03-2011, 06:36 PM
yup it sure is the starter. this will be my 3rd winter with it. im curious to know how bad its eating up the flywheel or starter gear?? i hear its a pain in the ass to replace too.

cantonep3
01-03-2011, 08:45 PM
mine does it only when its cold or when my cars sits for more than 4 days. Freaks me out. Only happens on the first start. But if I leave it alone say go to work park for 8hrs it will do it again. I always do the half start and it is a work around. Just turn the key for a second then back off. Then turn it again and normaly dont hear it.

tallblondkid
01-04-2011, 08:49 AM
so a fix is replacing the starter? or the starter gear?... or..?
i really hate hearing it, but i also dont want to grind the teeth off the starter gear or the flywheel

talonXracer
01-04-2011, 09:18 AM
It is the starter, mine has done it for three winters now, I might decide to replace the starter one of these days. The grease on the bendix is shot, as in it becomes stiff at low temps. A quality synthetic grease will do wonders if you want to go thru all that trouble.

civictype_r04
01-04-2011, 09:40 AM
It is the starter, mine has done it for three winters now, I might decide to replace the starter one of these days. The grease on the bendix is shot, as in it becomes stiff at low temps. A quality synthetic grease will do wonders if you want to go thru all that trouble.

Same here just don't feel like doing it.... haha

tallblondkid
01-04-2011, 11:20 AM
whats the trouble? its just pulling the starter out and greasing the bendix right?

EDIT: where is the starter? lol

civictype_r04
01-04-2011, 01:01 PM
whats the trouble? its just pulling the starter out and greasing the bendix right?

Its under the intake manifold! Thats why its a pain!!!

USAF EP3
01-04-2011, 05:27 PM
I find it hilarious how when winter rolls around, threads about this issue show up. It's like clockwork :laugh:

VividSI
01-12-2011, 05:06 PM
usually mine will do it after the motor turns over for a scraping grinding noise but now its getting worse and starts making the same noise as soon as i turn the key and it keeps doing it after the motor turns over for 1 sec. I just ordered a Duralast/Denso Starter from autozone for $127 and ill install it in a few weeks. Im usually all OEM but for this repair i just didnt feel like spending $450 for a new OEM one.

talonXracer
01-12-2011, 05:19 PM
I just ordered a Duralast/Denso Starter from autozone for $127 and ill install it in a few weeks. Im usually all OEM but for this repair i just didnt feel like spending $450 for a new OEM one.

Thats for sure! For starters and the Alternators I prefer to get a remand, they surely save ya some bucks!

VividSI
01-24-2011, 10:01 PM
just got it installed and it sounds much better than the oem before it had problems. i guess i lost that classic civic start up sound but im happy with the new one.

j.lai
01-24-2011, 10:12 PM
Mine does that when its super cold outside. What side effects are there if you don't replace the starter other than the cranking sound? I don't feel like spending the money on a starter yet when I can spend it on more parts unless it has a serious effect on the car.

KevinEP3
01-24-2011, 11:00 PM
Mine has been making the same noise and I also noticed it does it more when it's cold. But since my rod snapped I'm going to replace the starter and clutch when they swap the engine - save some money on labor.

SkareKrow
01-25-2011, 12:36 AM
Bump for DIY! 8ˆ)

LoL same thing I was about to ask!

tallblondkid
01-25-2011, 09:38 PM
Bump for DIY! 8ˆ)

LoL same thing I was about to ask!

lol funny thing is i have taken my car apart and put it back together... twice probably... but have never touched the starter and was thinking it was on the tranny like bseries then realized i have never touched it and i have taken my tranny off prob 5 times... but its under the intake manifold.. found it

02TWSI
01-25-2011, 09:40 PM
my car does the same thing, very embarrassing imo. sounds like I'm over turning the car.