PDA

View Full Version : k24a1 + jdm k20a valve train???????

i_love_my_ep3!
01-04-2011, 09:08 PM
i seen and heard of the a2 and z1 valve train has anyone droped in the the k20a valve train in a k24a1:mredface:

VIZHUNZ02SI
01-04-2011, 09:10 PM
what are you looking to do?

i_love_my_ep3!
01-04-2011, 09:20 PM
well i have a k24a1 just hanging out in my garage and i soon plan on having it in my ep3 real soon as of now i got that motor 33k on it 310 type s injectors,exedy organic clutch and act street lite fly, and a few bolt ons to add and kpro is comming soon well with all that said

i seen i member on dont remember who but has the a2 valve train and made some good numbers, i dont plan on making more than 300 and at least have tq over 200 want it to be a n/a and maybe a little shot of boost in a bottle:mcool:

this will be my first k build and want it to be my dd and last as long as possible and inputs or tips will be greatly help me out im new to this

i_love_my_ep3!
01-04-2011, 09:55 PM
no one has tip or inputs on this or is this just stupid questions

urthworm
01-04-2011, 10:23 PM
I believe the k20a and a2 valve train function the same... z1 and z3 should too. Are you planning on swapping the heads or dropping just the valve train in the k24a1 head.

USAF EP3
01-04-2011, 11:38 PM
I believe the k20a and a2 valve train function the same... z1 and z3 should too. Are you planning on swapping the heads or dropping just the valve train in the k24a1 head.

Negative. 02-04 (K20A2) Valvetrain use different retainers and keepers. Also, Honda was experimenting with using single valvesprings instead of dual, so not all K20A2 heads came with dual valvesprings. For example, mine had dual on the intake but single on the exhaust side and it was a 03 head. Also, K20Z1/3's all use single valvesprings and they are NOT interchangeable with the K20A2 setup. If you want to have K20A/Z valvetrain, you need to have matching parts.

i_love_my_ep3!
01-04-2011, 11:59 PM
i plan on just haveing a k24a1 with blot ons and throw in a k20a2,or z1/3 valve train in there,i want to have a dd with no more than 300hp and to have tq in the 200's if possible since i seen this valve train done my logic is since the jdm k20 has high rpms and power that valve train will be better than the a2 ,z1,z3.

ok well now i know i have to have the full valve train no mix match
so the k20a or do any of the other type r heads have dual valve springs on both side or is that not needed on both

i_love_my_ep3!
01-05-2011, 12:14 AM
bump! please tips,help,inputs i would like to get this clear and if it is possible to get the numbers i said with this kind of buildbin mind thanks in advance good night

USAF EP3
01-05-2011, 12:15 AM
i plan on just haveing a k24a1 with blot ons and throw in a k20a2,or z1/3 valve train in there,i want to have a dd with no more than 300hp and to have tq in the 200's if possible since i seen this valve train done my logic is since the jdm k20 has high rpms and power that valve train will be better than the a2 ,z1,z3.

ok well now i know i have to have the full valve train no mix match
so the k20a or do any of the other type r heads have dual valve springs on both side or is that not needed on both

I don't know what Honda did with their Type R K20A's valvetrains, I only know of the stateside valvetrains. And if you're just buying the Type R stuff because you think it's "better" you're wasting your money, this isn't B series man. The engines performance are almost identical. The only difference is that the Type R's have higher lift cams, that's why they make that extra 10 HP up top. Also, you don't need to be revving that K24 past 7600. It's pointless. Unless you're balancing out and building the block, you'll never make power beyond 7600.

As for seeing numbers in the 290-310 HP/ 200-250 TQ range? No dice. Basic bolt-ons, K-Pro, and stock internals you'll never see those. I'm already about 10 grand into my K24 build and N/A I'll be making those numbers. With the setup you just explained you'll be lucky to make around 220-240 HP and 180-190 TQ, that is if you do a Frank build. Stock K24A1 will be under 200 HP, and same for TQ

lbk02si
01-05-2011, 06:19 AM
well i have a k24a1 just hanging out in my garage and i soon plan on having it in my ep3 real soon as of now i got that motor 33k on it 310 type s injectors,exedy organic clutch and act street lite fly, and a few bolt ons to add and kpro is comming soon well with all that said

i seen i member on dont remember who but has the a2 valve train and made some good numbers, i dont plan on making more than 300 and at least have tq over 200 want it to be a n/a and maybe a little shot of boost in a bottle:mcool:

this will be my first k build and want it to be my dd and last as long as possible and inputs or tips will be greatly help me out im new to this

i was thinking that the type s had bigger injectors than 310??

talonXracer
01-05-2011, 06:38 AM
There is alot of misconceptions here.

The K24A1 and the K20A/A2 have significantly different valvetrain and heads. The VTEC systems are also significantly different as well.

There have been a few guys who had swapped over typeS/R rockers and cams, but it is a half assed low power producing option that greatly inhibits longevity.

No matter what the swap or route Kpro will be essential.

Another option would be to go the VTEC Killer route, running the exhaust rockers on all 16 valves with just the center lobe operating the valves at all times(defeating VTEC).

You can install the larger A2/R valve springs etc, but the valve spring bases will need to be swapped out and this requires replacement of the valve stem seals.
No need to go with typeR stuff the K24's they can not spin high enough besides there are plenty of used typeS valve train sets floating around.

i_love_my_ep3!
01-05-2011, 07:30 AM
thanks alot but yeah i was just getting inputs on this i know about vtec killer set up. i figured that the type r is stronger and last longer, but ill just find a a2 or z1 valve train do a vtec killer and duhh use kpro and a few blot ons.

does anyone know what kind of nunbers this kind of set up puts down how reiable are they?

i also plan on getting lsd. but should i keep my a3 tranny or go 6sp. if so witch ine should i get

USAF EP3
01-06-2011, 02:15 AM
There is alot of misconceptions here.

The K24A1 and the K20A/A2 have significantly different valvetrain and heads. The VTEC systems are also significantly different as well.

There have been a few guys who had swapped over typeS/R rockers and cams, but it is a half assed low power producing option that greatly inhibits longevity.

No matter what the swap or route Kpro will be essential.

Another option would be to go the VTEC Killer route, running the exhaust rockers on all 16 valves with just the center lobe operating the valves at all times(defeating VTEC).

You can install the larger A2/R valve springs etc, but the valve spring bases will need to be swapped out and this requires replacement of the valve stem seals.
No need to go with typeR stuff the K24's they can not spin high enough besides there are plenty of used typeS valve train sets floating around.

Thanks for summing it all up Talon. You're much better at simplifying explanations, lol.

talonXracer
01-06-2011, 06:03 AM
thanks alot but yeah i was just getting inputs on this i know about vtec killer set up. i figured that the type r is stronger and last longer, but ill just find a a2 or z1 valve train do a vtec killer and duhh use kpro and a few blot ons.

does anyone know what kind of nunbers this kind of set up puts down how reiable are they?

i also plan on getting lsd. but should i keep my a3 tranny or go 6sp. if so witch ine should i get

The typeR parts are not any stronger than the parts in the car, the K-series engines were designed so well that honda had to drop their plans for hand built typeR engines/heads etc, they didnt provide the power gains that the older archaic typeR platforms provided over their civlilized versions. So the Kseries typeR's use bolt-ons and tuning to produce the typeR's additional power.

I would stay with the 5spd, but if you do alot of highway driving the 6spd provides a lower reduction you could add the TSX 6th when you install the LSD.

i_love_my_ep3!
01-06-2011, 11:17 AM
i see makes since thanks for clearing thing up for me