PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust question...

XytL
01-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Hey guys, currently in Iraq, planning my jrsc-r build for when I get back.
Currently my car has AEM CAI, Skunk stage 1 NA cams, stock header, stock cat to Megan midpipe to OBX twinloop.
Going to be getting a race header for it for sure but was wondering what I should do about my midpipe, I'm worried about it being too loud without the cat. Was wondering if you guys think I should just go for it and get a KRRH and then 3" back to a resonator and through to my OBX/another axle back. Or if I can get a different header and save my Megan/OBX combo and deal with how loud it is. Basically just wanna know what you guys would do in my situation, I can afford to buy a whole new exhaust, but would rather not if it's not going to make much more power. At the moment with the cat/megan midpipe/obx, it's just about as loud as I want it to be, and that's the only reason I don't already have a RH. Appreciate the help.

black05ep
01-05-2011, 06:41 PM
if you midpipe is 2.5 or larger you should be good to keep that your running a twin loop so its not going to be loud. i plan on running a similar setup. right now i have a dcrh no cat. into a skunk2 2.25 exhaust. loud as shit. but i felt big gains witht the RH. i like the loudness. but for you what your running now sounds good for your plan.alot of ppl are running a platinum spun cat. i think talonxracer started that. not sure.or you can get a universal resonator. it depends if you want to be legal or not. hope that helps. im sure someone else will chime in. maybe pm talon about the cat.

XytL
01-05-2011, 06:49 PM
I don't care about staying legal, more worried about noise than anything. I really don't want to have to listen to it droaning all the time on the highway, it's almost at that point as it is, without a cat or resonator I'm afraid it'll be too much for me. Thanks for the input.

Distance
01-05-2011, 07:07 PM
vibrant sells an ultra quiet resonator. it might help with your set up and not be restricted.

black05ep
01-05-2011, 07:27 PM
I don't care about staying legal, more worried about noise than anything. I really don't want to have to listen to it droaning all the time on the highway, it's almost at that point as it is, without a cat or resonator I'm afraid it'll be too much for me. Thanks for the input.

My exhaust doesn't drone AT ALL. Idk y. But check out that resonator. Should give more flow than the cat and keep the sound down.

XytL
01-05-2011, 07:39 PM
Alright awesome thanks for the help, gonna get KRRH and bolt it up to my current setup, see how it sounds. If it's too loud I'll through that resonator on. Am I right in assuming the KRRH has the stock flange so it will join up with my midpipe no problem?

vbpracer
01-05-2011, 09:01 PM
Why not stick with the stock muffler? Will eliminate most sound, without restricting the exhaust flow.

XytL
01-07-2011, 04:35 PM
Alright so according to the threadhere (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?55689-JRSC-R-w-Kpro&p=806638&highlight=krrh#post806638) 3.0 piping is the way to go, but my question is this, if the KRRH flows to the midpipe at 2.5" what's the point of bumping it up to 3" for the rest? Am I missing something? I would like to go 3 inch but I'm not sure I'd have enough clearance to roll like that, I already scrape on every speed bump ever with my 2.25" midpipe. I'm dropped on Koni Yellows with H&R springs, 2 inches I believe. Any help I can get with a few more recommendations would be awesome.

Lucid Moments
01-07-2011, 04:44 PM
Just my POV having a lot of experience with a loud assed, supercharged car. A 3" exhaust is loud. That is all there is too it, and you won't loose much power staying with a 2 1/2 inch.

If my car was any sort of a DD then I would have a 2 1/2 inch exhaust on it and damn any possible power loss.

XytL
01-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Alright right on, appreciate it, after taking off my cat I might have to throw a resonator in my midpipe then, it's right at the edge of being too loud for me atm, without a cat its gonna be too much I believe.

XytL
06-29-2011, 09:39 PM
Alright so, back from Iraq, starting to put parts on. Got my KRRH installed and bolted to my megan midpipe. I absolutely can't stand the sound it makes. I want it to be deep, it has this super rice buzz to it after 4k rpm. You guys think a custom 2.5" with a vibrant ultra quiet resonator will be what I'm looking for? Planning on leaving my twin loop on there, almost positive it's the resonator in the midpipe that's making this awful noise. Sounds like every other civic that has a cheap exhaust I guess.

Oh, and JRSC sitting next to me, this weekend I hope.

BlownSi05
06-30-2011, 05:25 AM
vibrant sells an ultra quiet resonator. it might help with your set up and not be restricted.

I had this resonator when I tried the OBX loop muffler and it did not help much.

OP, your better bet is an 18" bullet style resonator, which is a longer resonator, which in turn gives you more length to quiet the exhaust. I had a JRRH, Vibrant Ultra Quiet Res and OBX muffler with a 2.5" full stainless piping kit and I took it off a week after I had put it on. The bullet style resonator would have made it more bearable. I ended up with a Fujitsubo RM-01a cat back, which is CTR specific only. I used a Megan Stainless Shorty Header and a Megan Stainless Resonated Test Pipe, both RSX-S specific. It was pricey, but the sound was phenomenal and there was almost no drone at highway speeds.

This is my former EP.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2wSr9djK1Y

The stock muffler is also an option. But I can tell you now, your rice rocket buzzing sound above 4K RPM is the OBX loop muffler. Just my 2 cents!

Lucid Moments
06-30-2011, 02:51 PM
I also have the OBX loop muffler and it was a big improvement over the 3" straight through Magnaflow it replaced. I guess it depends on what you are comparing it too as to how it sounds. The 3" may be part of the difference too.

XytL
07-01-2011, 12:10 AM
Well I went ahead and bought a 2.5" ultra quiet resonator and a 2.5" vibrant muffler, hoping it quiets down a bit. I'll throw in a hi flow car if I need to. Got a place here that is gonna custom mandrel bend me a 2.5" setup for 200 bucks so I figure that's a pretty decent deal. Hoping that cuts the noise out, I don't even like to drive with my car like this.

04EP3Hatch
07-01-2011, 04:24 AM
Well I went ahead and bought a 2.5" ultra quiet resonator and a 2.5" vibrant muffler, hoping it quiets down a bit. I'll throw in a hi flow car if I need to. Got a place here that is gonna custom mandrel bend me a 2.5" setup for 200 bucks so I figure that's a pretty decent deal. Hoping that cuts the noise out, I don't even like to drive with my car like this.

hate to tell you this, but i have that exhaust setup to the T. and its actually louder anything over half throttle than my 3" was:

3" Catback with Vibrant Muffler and 15" resonator

http://youtu.be/DshBb8ihM5A

2.5" Catback with Vibrant Ultra queit and Vibrant streetpower twin tip:

http://youtu.be/X3Bepq3ayV0

XytL
07-01-2011, 01:43 PM
Alright it sounds LOUDER....but it doesn't have that same horrible sound my car makes. Do you like the actual tone of the exhaust? I guess what I'm wondering is if you like it at all? I mean, if you say it's too loud and sounds like shit, I'll just send the parts back when I get them and try to find something else. I just absolutely can't stand what my car sounds like atm.

04EP3Hatch
07-01-2011, 04:26 PM
Oh no way I love the way my car sounds :)

XytL
07-02-2011, 12:40 AM
Oh no way I love the way my car sounds :)
You got any better sound clips of the exhaust by chance? Wanna hear what it sounds like fairly close. Does it have that real raspy no cat honda sound? Or is it fairly deep across the range? Currently my car hits 4k and then becomes deafeningly high pitched garbage.

mitchlikesbikes
07-02-2011, 12:56 AM
what about the vibrant sleeper series muffler? those seem to be pretty quiet and have a nice deepish sound to them.

i'm pretty sure that's what civic 5 lug has and it sounds way sick IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZfpezvamkI

XytL
07-02-2011, 01:07 AM
what about the vibrant sleeper series muffler? those seem to be pretty quiet and have a nice deepish sound to them.

i'm pretty sure that's what civic 5 lug has and it sounds way sick IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZfpezvamkI

The "sleeper" series is the flat black streetpower I believe, I can't find a "sleeper" series on their website, and that just looks like a flat black streetpower. If so, I made the right choice. I ordered that exact muffler with a 2.5" inlet instead of 3. I hope it sounds as good as that.

mitchlikesbikes
07-02-2011, 01:21 AM
The "sleeper" series is the flat black streetpower I believe, I can't find a "sleeper" series on their website, and that just looks like a flat black streetpower. If so, I made the right choice. I ordered that exact muffler with a 2.5" inlet instead of 3. I hope it sounds as good as that.

hmm. i guess when they say "sleeper" they just mean appearance wise with the same sound. either way his car definitely sounds badass. you could also check his members ride to see what resonator he's running cause that could change the sound a lot. like everyone else said though, the OBX is probably to blame for the cheap sound.

XytL
07-02-2011, 01:28 AM
He's not even running a resonator from what his member ride says. He does have a turbo though so that'll quiet it down a bit. Hopefully this setup will be exactly what I want then. As soon as it goes on I'm gonna start my JRSC-R install, getting tuned on the 12th!

mitchlikesbikes
07-02-2011, 01:30 AM
He's not even running a resonator from what his member ride says. He does have a turbo though so that'll quiet it down a bit. Hopefully this setup will be exactly what I want then. As soon as it goes on I'm gonna start my JRSC-R install, getting tuned on the 12th!

fuck yeah man! good luck!

XytL
07-02-2011, 01:44 AM
Still trying to find a kal with stage 1 cams and 650cc injectors though, and 3.8" pulley. Ya know, if anyone knows where I can find one.

XytL
07-07-2011, 09:02 PM
Got the exhaust installed today. 2.5" ultra quiet and streetpower flat black. Had a 2.5" pipe mandrel bent and put it all together. Absolutely perfect. It's exactly what I was looking for. Deep and quiet.