PDA

View Full Version : Hollow Door Sound/Rattle

logos22
01-08-2011, 08:35 PM
Hey guys, when I close the driver side door it makes a sort of hollow/rattly/metallic reverb sound. It's weird because the passenger side door shuts with a heavy, confident thump. I know it's kinda of anal to be concerned about something like this, but it makes the car feel cheap. Does anyone know what the cause could be, maybe even a fix? Thanks.

03Si757
01-08-2011, 08:58 PM
a helpfull solution is too apply a layer of sound deadning to the skin of your door, Mine did it untll I did this, also kills some road noise (only slightly)

logos22
01-13-2011, 02:52 PM
Yeah, I was thinking about doing that. Of course, I can't figure out how to take off my door panel. I tried looking around the internet with no luck. Anyway, what would be a good brand of sound deadning material to use? Is it possible that something could be loose in the door, causing the rattle sound?

ShadowEP3
01-13-2011, 05:07 PM
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?50654-DIY-Window-Channel-Replacement

has all info the remove the door panel

im also looking to reducing/eliminating the hollowed sound

emsep
01-13-2011, 09:48 PM
bad window channel can cause the window to rattle when you close the door.

logos22
01-15-2011, 12:16 AM
Ooh, that sounds like it could be the reason. What exactly is a window Channel? Also, thanks Shadowep3 for the link to remove the door panel.

logos22
01-15-2011, 12:23 AM
Ooh, that sounds like it could be the reason. What exactly is a window Channel? Also, thanks Shadowep3 for the link to remove the door panel.

haha I just answered my own question by following the link. If the window channel ends up not being the problem, what kind of sound deadening material should I use? Are there any cheaper substitutes to actual sound deadening material?

talonXracer
01-15-2011, 08:17 AM
I added sound deadener to the backside of the door skin and on the interior surface and the backside of the plastic door panel, the doors now sound like they belong on a Caddy. I also coated the entire interior with sound deadener, stuffed the rear panels full of poly-fill.

There is a foam block added to the stock plastic door panel that becomes loose over time and this can cause a few sounds to develop.

ShadowEP3
01-15-2011, 12:03 PM
^i actually have no more foam inbetween the panel and door which obviously makes a difference

where did you purchase sound deading material?

talonXracer
01-15-2011, 12:11 PM
^i actually have no more foam inbetween the panel and door which obviously makes a difference

where did you purchase sound deading material?

LizardSkin http://www.lizardskin.com/ I got it from Summit Racing.

logos22
01-19-2011, 10:16 PM
Cool, thanks everyone. I'm gunna look into some of that sound deadening material.