PDA

View Full Version : Funky Color in my Catch Can? Condensation?

POOPTOOTH
01-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Whats up guys, I've been noticing lately that I've been getting a very light brown fluid in my DIY Catch can, its only been happening in the colder months.

I'm guessing its condensation forming on the inside from the hot engine air mixing with the frigid ambient temps, causing the water to mix with the oil/air mix thus causing a light brown, almost chocolate milk type substance?

At first I was thinking 'uh oh... headgasket time' but oil and coolant are both totally clean respectively. Just wondering if this is a common occurrence or what.

Thanks in advance guys.

RedSiBaron
01-09-2011, 01:06 PM
that almost sounds like rust in the coolent system...have you ever run straight water or less coolent than water? have you bled your coolent system to make sure its all full up?

mitchell_ep3
01-09-2011, 01:14 PM
that almost sounds like rust in the coolent system...have you ever run straight water or less coolent than water? have you bled your coolent system to make sure its all full up?

cold air + hot air = condensation, thats why new high efficiency furnaces have a condensation pump on them becasue they draw cold air from the outside of the house and the condensation thats made has to get pumped out into the drain.

i was worried about it too when i had my JM Fab catch can on my b16 turbo build, but i checked in with H-T in the turbo forum and its prefectly normal, condensation mixed with oil will give you some engine splooge

mitchell_ep3
01-09-2011, 01:17 PM
^^^ hmm last edited by show stoppers eh?

RedSiBaron
01-09-2011, 01:22 PM
my brain farted and was thinking of coolent system...nevermind...

and that edit is a ghosting issue because of posts we lost in the last crash, current posts are occupying locations on the server of old posts, when they were edited that shows up for some reason...

well, its something like that...

POOPTOOTH
01-09-2011, 07:37 PM
cold air + hot air = condensation, thats why new high efficiency furnaces have a condensation pump on them becasue they draw cold air from the outside of the house and the condensation thats made has to get pumped out into the drain.

i was worried about it too when i had my JM Fab catch can on my b16 turbo build, but i checked in with H-T in the turbo forum and its prefectly normal, condensation mixed with oil will give you some engine splooge

Thats what I figured, just wanted to 100%. Thanks for chiming in man.

mitchell_ep3
01-09-2011, 08:57 PM
my brain farted and was thinking of coolent system...nevermind...

and that edit is a ghosting issue because of posts we lost in the last crash, current posts are occupying locations on the server of old posts, when they were edited that shows up for some reason...

well, its something like that...

i was surprised and confused when you answered, usually your the guru here, usually you have allt he right answers, i was floored haha, i forgive you, but thanks for the gap to gain some EP creds :P