PDA

View Full Version : Vtec Killer and Boost

civictype_r04
01-09-2011, 04:10 PM
I want to know if you can run a Vtec killer setup on top of being boosted. If so what all would I need I read a little bit from different forums and what I got was I need the EP3 exhaust rocker for the intake side and a set of A2 cams and VTC. Any other help would be great!!!!!!!

AUTiger
01-10-2011, 09:22 AM
Onasty is running a vtec killer a3 with the emusa turbo kit. And at 10psi or maybe less than that he hit 303hp. So it definitely can be done and works well. You can use your vtc gears and don't necessarily need the a2's, they are the same

04EP3Hatch
01-10-2011, 09:16 PM
there is more power to be made than 303 imo, i think im going to come close to that with my new setup on a JRSC. turbo with the right setup can do mid 300's at least.

civictype_r04
01-10-2011, 10:24 PM
Onasty is running a vtec killer a3 with the emusa turbo kit. And at 10psi or maybe less than that he hit 303hp. So it definitely can be done and works well. You can use your vtc gears and don't necessarily need the a2's, they are the same

Do you have a like to any of his threads??

04EP3Hatch
01-11-2011, 05:18 AM
to who onasty? i dont know abotu his but there is a few on k20a.org, im running hella late to work or else id find them for you :(

civictype_r04
01-11-2011, 06:47 AM
to who onasty? i dont know abotu his but there is a few on k20a.org, im running hella late to work or else id find them for you :(

It's cool man I'll look but if you get a chance......

talonXracer
01-11-2011, 06:58 AM
Using VTEC killer is the same thing as adding a race type cam to a non-VTEC type engine from any manufacture. It will work and put down some awesome top end numbers boosted. And with the selection of OE cams that are available, you can mix and match them to find the proper duration and lift for the exhaust and the intake for your particular setup.

You will need Kpro, and the rockers COULD require a little relieving to clear the secondary cam lobes.(easy to do)

civictype_r04
01-11-2011, 08:03 AM
I have Kpro..... I just need to figure out what parts I need to get!

ep3jd
01-11-2011, 09:52 AM
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?54101-Another-04-SSM.-WHOOPIE!!!

That's Onasty's members ride. Just go into his profile and click for started threads if that thread doesn't answer your questions. He's a local to me and a really cool dude so don't be scared to ask him some questions!

Onasty
01-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Ohh yea vtec killer can be done and boosted on...i could make more than 303 but didnt want to since i have the stock a3 bottom end and DAILY DRIVE my car. if it wasnt a daily drive i wouldve shot for more but decided to play it safe and im running 9psi at 303hp.

civictype_r04
01-11-2011, 10:21 AM
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?54101-Another-04-SSM.-WHOOPIE!!!

That's Onasty's members ride. Just go into his profile and click for started threads if that thread doesn't answer your questions. He's a local to me and a really cool dude so don't be scared to ask him some questions!

Thanks a lot man!!

gtimportfanatic
01-20-2011, 03:20 AM
dying to see wat my k24 will be like but with a bigger turbo :-)

SLOW EP3
01-25-2011, 03:05 PM
I wouldn't consider this mod if you live in colder climates.

Big lobed cams are not friendly for DD cars, you'll have issues with cold start idle and driveability. I'd consider other options before throwing cams in to the mix if you're concerned about reliability/driveability.

HondaFreak
01-25-2011, 03:28 PM
If there's too much overlap on the cams, you'll be chasing boost right through the overlap. I had ITR cams on my JRSC setup, I removed the exhaust ITR cam and changed it to '04 A2 exhaust cam because the tuner could not keep the boost in the motor. It's possible this setup will work. However, NOT optimal for boost. My .02¢

Christian

Onasty
01-25-2011, 05:27 PM
If there's too much overlap on the cams, you'll be chasing boost right through the overlap. I had ITR cams on my JRSC setup, I removed the exhaust ITR cam and changed it to '04 A2 exhaust cam because the tuner could not keep the boost in the motor. It's possible this setup will work. However, NOT optimal for boost. My .02¢

Christian

Mayb its my tuner but my car runs amazing driving through the snow vtec and boostin n it doesnt peak just stays a 9lbs all the way through everyday. And yes i hit my limiter everyday at 8k. Car is amazing!!! Ill have neone second drive my car and they'll be shocked.

AUTiger
01-25-2011, 08:01 PM
There is a difference in a supercharged setup and a turbo setup. Vtec killer has already been proven to work and make huge gains when turboed on multiple occassions. However, not as much documentation has been done in a supercharged setup.

Canuck Civic
01-25-2011, 08:19 PM
There is a difference in a supercharged setup and a turbo setup. Vtec killer has already been proven to work and make huge gains when turboed on multiple occassions. However, not as much documentation has been done in a supercharged setup.

I plan to change that, probably won't see a dyno but will see some 1/4 mile times this year.