PDA

View Full Version : key programming

Black04si
01-11-2011, 11:21 AM
ok wasnt sure where to put this since i just kinda want to rant went to my local dealer was gonna but a key and keyfob since my car only came with one 150 for the pair was like holy crap but oh well then they told me they wanted to charge me 132 dollars to program them that is f'in ridiculous
why so much i will just live with one key to my ride for almost 300 dollars :mad2::mad2::mad2:

end rant

brew honda in longview texas sux btw

T_Virus
01-11-2011, 01:16 PM
go to a different honda dealership... it should be cheaper

ShadowEP3
01-11-2011, 01:34 PM
what key fob were you looking at getting?

ep3jd
01-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Fobs are like 20 bucks.

ShadowEP3
01-11-2011, 07:02 PM
Fobs are like 20 bucks.

not at the dealer

Metro Honda/Acura wanted 89 for the RDX fob..just 1 part of it
the other IIRC was ~30

OP what are you trying to program exactly?..just the key to work with the locks?

Black04si
01-12-2011, 11:00 AM
they wanted 49 for the key blank 97 for the keyless entry remote
and i have tried buying one online for 20 bucks already and i guess it was the wrong one because it doesn't work i just need a spare since i only have one for the car i lose a key im screwed

ttttrigg3r
01-12-2011, 02:42 PM
Find out the FCCID and that's how you buy your keyless entry fob.
The fob is easy you can program by yourself. Just get it off ebay or some site. As long as the FCCID matches up with your car you should be able to program the lock.
The key: My key(2002 ep3) had a "T10" chip inside. If you have a blank key with the correct chip then all you need to do is get it traced and cut at the dealer. When I had mine done, the tech took my key and the new key and cut it and had the data copied over at the same time. He took 2 minutes and charged me nothing. Maybe if you know a honda tech you can get hooked up like I did. Good luck

Black04si
01-12-2011, 03:30 PM
yeah i don't know the fccid to mine because the sticker on the back of it is rubbed off

ShadowEP3
01-12-2011, 06:53 PM
cant you just cut a valet/extra key (with chip) and install that inside the fob?

:shrug:

ttttrigg3r
01-17-2011, 07:02 PM
cant you just cut a valet/extra key (with chip) and install that inside the fob?

:shrug:

what???

eccramer
01-17-2011, 11:34 PM
what???

I think what he's talking about is having a cheap key programmed, cutting the RFID Immobilizer chip out, and installing it into a different key that is cut. Here's a link to a DIY (http://forums.clubrsx.com/showpost.php?p=11483363&postcount=127).

EDIT: Here's a better DIY for the Honda Fit with pics! Link (http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-diy-repair-maintenance/23033-diy-acura-tl-switchblade-key-fob.html). Though the Fit doesn't require cutting so much as just unscrewing. Ours requires that we cut the rubber away from the key top to get to the RFID.

ShadowEP3
01-18-2011, 12:39 PM
^correct

i was actually wanting to do the RDX key fob but frequencies are different..now i have a useless fob :mfrown:

eccramer
01-20-2011, 12:06 PM
^correct

i was actually wanting to do the RDX key fob but frequencies are different..now i have a useless fob :mfrown:

I've been looking into getting the Ridgeline combined key/fob similar to the one they use on the Fit. I just really like the way it looks, and it would be super convenient to not have to carry around both a key and a remote. It looks like they have a Ridgeline keyfob that looks exactly like the RDX switchblade that would have the right frequency as our car. Maybe I'll do a DIY when I actually get around to it. Apparently you can pick up chipkeys that work with our immobilizer on Ebay for like 10 bucks, and the ridgeline key is like 30, so it shouldn't be that risky in case something doesn't work. As far as I can tell though, the Ridgeline remote works, and all that needs replacing is the RFID, and that seems relatively easy to do, especially on the the combined remote/keys, which come apart with a screw.

ShadowEP3
01-20-2011, 12:31 PM
anyone have a pix of a keyless entry taken apart for our cars?

got a link to the Ridgeline fob you found?

rspjean
01-21-2011, 12:12 AM
how would i find out what my fccid is if i dont have a key fob?

ShadowEP3
01-21-2011, 12:20 AM
keyless entry has the FCCID on the back:

OUCG8D-344H-A

rspjean
01-21-2011, 12:29 AM
keyless entry has the FCCID on the back:

OUCG8D-344H-A

i know its on the back but i dont have the original honda key fob. my car didnt come with it when i bought it. how would i find out what mine is ?

eccramer
01-21-2011, 06:55 PM
anyone have a pix of a keyless entry taken apart for our cars?

got a link to the Ridgeline fob you found?

First, there really is no "Take apart" guide for our keys, more like "cut apart". The rubber "bow" (the part that you grab onto, lol, had to look that up on wikipedia just now) must be cut apart, and the key is destroyed in the process. That's why you should really get a cheap chipkey on ebay that has the right chip for your car, and don't even bother having that cut. As for the fob, just pop out the battery and pry it apart at the edge.

The Ridgeline fob I found in a thread on here actually. Apparently the fob part number is 35111-SHJ-305 and the FCCID number is OUCG8D-380H-A. Yes, it's different than ours, but according to this thread (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?43453-Some-one-needs-to-post-the-Ridgeline-Key-Transplant-diy&highlight=OUCG8D-380H-A) the ridgeline remote works. If you search for that FCCID on ebay, you come up with plenty for around $30-$40. Here's a link (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-07-08-09-10-11-HONDA-RIDGELINE-KEY-KEYLESS-REMOTE-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a61f335a7QQitemZ25075 1432103QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries) to an ebay page for the keyfob unit. Again, the RFID chip will have to be replaced for it to work, but the remote should work.

eccramer
03-25-2011, 03:58 PM
UPDATE: I can confirm that any remote with the FCCID number of OUCG8D-380H-A works for our cars. Just got mine in the mail today for 23 bucks shipped! Waiting for the cheap chipkey that I ordered to show up, and then I'll head to the dealership eventually and get them cut and programmed. I'm probably gonna do a detailed guide on how to piece these things together anyway, but would anyone be interested in the guide? Should work the same for switchblade keys too.

Also, I believe the transponder type for our car is 3D-T5, I'll confirm when I have the key in hand and programmed. Super pumped about this, it'll be great having to carry half as much stuff in my pocket.

CivicSier
03-26-2011, 11:46 AM
How do you reprogram one for a 03 EP3?
What is the FCC# for one or would I have to look in the car on the unit for the code?

eccramer
03-26-2011, 12:12 PM
So, by reprogram, I'm going to assume you mean just the remote part. To do that, all you have to do is follow this guide (http://www.hondasuv.com/crv/viewtopic.php?t=427):

To program the remotes:

Except where noted, time between steps should not exceed 4 seconds. You may push either the lock or unlock button. Use the same remote for steps 1-13.

Step 1: Turn ignition switch to ON (II)
Step 2: Push remote lock button
Step 3: Turn ignition switch off

Step 4: Turn ignition switch to ON (II)
Step 5: Push remote lock button
Step 6: Turn ignition switch off

Step 7: Turn ignition switch to ON (II)
Step 8: Push remote lock button
Step 9: Turn ignition switch off

Step 10: Turn ignition switch to ON (II)
Step 11: Push remote lock button
Step 12: Confirm that you hear the door locks move

Step 13: Within 8 seconds, press the 1st remote lock button
Step 14: Confirm that you hear the door locks move

Step 15: Within 8 seconds, press the 2nd remote lock button
Step 16: Confirm that you hear the door locks move

Step 17: Within 8 seconds, press the 3rd remote lock button
Step 18: Confirm that you hear the door locks move

Step 19: Turn ignition OFF, and remove key.
Step 20: Confirm that your keyless remotes now work.

Note: To program only one remote, skip steps 15-18. To program only two remotes, skip steps 17 and 18.

As for the FCCID, different models of remote have different FCCID numbers. To find the FCCID you just have to look at the label on the back of the remote fob. There is no FCCID on anything in the car that tells you what remote will work. To explain, I took a gamble that this remote would work with our cars, and just sorta bought it and hoped. There's no system or code to find out whether a given model of remote will work with our car other than just buy it and test it. I'd just heard a rumor that the Accord/CR-V/Ridgeline remote would work with our keyless entry and luckily I was right. Maybe everyone with a different FCCID than OUCG8D-380H-A or OUCG8D-344H-A could post up their code so that we could build up a list of replacement remotes that work?

Anyway, does that answer your question?

P.S. to get a key reprogrammed so that it will turn your car on you have to take it to the dealer, or a locksmith that programs chipkeys.

CivicSier
03-27-2011, 07:26 AM
So, by reprogram, I'm going to assume you mean just the remote part. To do that, all you have to do is follow this guide (http://www.hondasuv.com/crv/viewtopic.php?t=427):

As for the FCCID, different models of remote have different FCCID numbers. To find the FCCID you just have to look at the label on the back of the remote fob. There is no FCCID on anything in the car that tells you what remote will work. To explain, I took a gamble that this remote would work with our cars, and just sorta bought it and hoped. There's no system or code to find out whether a given model of remote will work with our car other than just buy it and test it. I'd just heard a rumor that the Accord/CR-V/Ridgeline remote would work with our keyless entry and luckily I was right. Maybe everyone with a different FCCID than OUCG8D-380H-A or OUCG8D-344H-A could post up their code so that we could build up a list of replacement remotes that work?

Anyway, does that answer your question?

P.S. to get a key reprogrammed so that it will turn your car on you have to take it to the dealer, or a locksmith that programs chipkeys.

Thanks Man!

eccramer
03-27-2011, 01:23 PM
Cool, glad I could help.

CivicSier
03-27-2011, 07:33 PM
I found a fob on CL it's OUCG8D-344H-A would this work?

eccramer
03-28-2011, 08:16 AM
I found a fob on CL it's OUCG8D-344H-A would this work?

Yep, that's actually exactly our remote. The FCCID for the remotes that come WITH our cars is OUCG8D-344H-A so it will work. Go for it dude.

CivicSier
03-28-2011, 06:59 PM
NICE! Thanks again!

SmoothEPs
03-31-2011, 09:41 PM
At Cerritos Honda, they had my key cut and programmed for $30, with a free car wash.

eccramer
03-31-2011, 11:37 PM
Renton Honda in Washington gave me a quote of free for cut and program if I brought a key in from the internets. Granted, no free carwash, but still, that's not a bad price.

CivicSier
04-02-2011, 07:24 PM
Renton Honda in Washington gave me a quote of free for cut and program if I brought a key in from the internets. Granted, no free carwash, but still, that's not a bad price.

Not a bad deal.

CivicSier
04-02-2011, 07:25 PM
Ok the $22 CL find OUCG8D-344H-A key fob worked 100%. I wish the hatch button worked though...

tht1guy
04-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Ok so I could just buy this ridgeline key and have it cut and programmed to my car? Is it really that easy

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using my God Damn Thumbs...

eccramer
04-02-2011, 08:52 PM
Ok so I could just buy this Ridgeline key and have it cut and programmed to my car? Is it really that easy

No, the Ridgeline key CANNOT be programmed for our cars. The transponder inside is not compatible with our immobilizer hardware. You need to buy two keys: a normal key that is compatible with our car (or you could cut apart one of your current keys, but I wanted 2 spares, so that's out), and a Ridgeline combo remote key.

Here's a rough outline of what you need to do.

1. Have the Ridgeline key cut. Since you will be disposing of the chip, you do not need to have it programmed. At this point, the key will open your doors but will not start the engine.

1a. This is optional only if you are using your current key, but if you bought a new key to cut apart because you don't want to destroy your current key this step is required. Have your extra Civic key cut AND programmed. Having it cut is optional, but once you take the chip out, it will still open your doors. Put it in your wallet and you'll never get locked out of your car again! :cclap:

2. Take your programmed Civic key, and cut apart the plastic on the top around the edge. Yes, you have to destroy the key handle to get at the chip, but if you're like me, you got the key on Ebay for 7 bucks. :mbiggrin: Then, remove the chip from the center of the key, and set it aside in a safe place.

3. Now, take apart the Ridgeline key. There is a little screw right above the keyblade on the back. A 00 phillips screwdriver will take that right out. There is a little compartment inside with a transponder chip in it. Remove the Ridgeline transponder, and glue or otherwise mount the Civic transponder in its place. Make sure to place it so that the antenna (the side where you can see copper colored wire inside) is pointing towards the keyblade.

4. Screw the Ridgeline key together, program the remote, and bingo, you have yourself an all-in-one remote and key combination. For bonus points, grab the back plate from the FD2 Type R key with the red H, and screw that on instead. Now it's convenient AND looks bad ass!

EDIT:

Ok the $22 CL find OUCG8D-344H-A key fob worked 100%. I wish the hatch button worked though...

I'm glad to hear it! The trunk button doesn't work on our cars though, because there is no actuator/motor/whatever hardware to open the hatch electronically. You might be able to find a different faceplate to replace it, open it up, and cut the plastic button off inside so that there would be nothing to press the button on the board and make the trunk button disappear. But anyway, I'm glad that your craigslist find payed off. Congrats!

tht1guy
04-02-2011, 09:28 PM
Thanks for clarifying

eccramer
04-02-2011, 09:34 PM
Thanks for clarifying

No problem man! It's really not that hard. I've already pulled the chip out of the Ridgeline key. I'm probably going to be driving over to the Honda stealership pretty soon to get everything cut and programmed. I'm going to write up an illustrated DIY for this when I get the keys cut and programmed, so hopefully soon there will be a comprehensive guide on how to get this done.

tht1guy
04-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Good idea can't wait to see it. I might do 2 keys like this. I'd like to know how much they charge you. Also where can I get the type r piece you were talking about

eccramer
04-03-2011, 02:21 PM
ICB motorsports has them here (http://www.icbmotorsport.com/jdmfd2cityrr1.html). They're kinda pricey. I'm thinking about just picking up the red key emblem from DecalDude, since it's half the price, and he's a vendor on this forum.

Black04si
04-13-2011, 05:38 PM
i ended up buying a ridgeline key from the dealership for 54 dollars had it cut and surprised the parts guy when i started up my si

kpro for the win then i had to take the immobilizer bulb out of the frikin dash

eccramer
04-14-2011, 06:26 PM
i ended up buying a ridgeline key from the dealership for 54 dollars had it cut and surprised the parts guy when i started up my si

kpro for the win then i had to take the immobilizer bulb out of the frikin dash

Heh, I guess that works. It's just cheaper for me to buy two keys and cut them up since I don't have KPro. Props on getting a combined key and remote though. I still haven't gotten time to get them cut and programmed, but I'm excited to get it all set up so I can write my guide and also not have to deal with so many keys.

WinstonRudolph
11-04-2022, 10:24 AM
I got two keys from an auto locksmith and the keys work fine with the lock, you can also get one from a local locksmith (https://mylocksmithpro.com/) company.