PDA

View Full Version : Duty? whats the duty anyways

sammysir
12-18-2002, 05:19 PM
Im sure I am asking this question for more than just one of us canucks. How the heck does the duty charges get applied from ordering stuff from the US? Im trying to figure out how much duty or charges or ways of getting around it....... or at least calculating it before i make my order.... any one out there with this supreme knowledge? heh

cheers

SiRman
12-18-2002, 05:38 PM
Try and avoid getting things sent UPS, use USPS.
If there is any duties charged, UPS will add xtra customs brokerage fees.

sammysir
12-18-2002, 10:22 PM
upss? whats teh difference between those 2

Jpax
12-18-2002, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by SiRman
Try and avoid getting things sent UPS, use USPS.
If there is any duties charged, UPS will add xtra customs brokerage fees.

dumbass UPS = united postal smashers

USPS= United States Postal smashers...... :D

JSIR
12-18-2002, 10:42 PM
you can count on getting charges pst and gst taxes by our wonderful government, but you pay that at any shop anyways. If the product is made in USA you don't pay duties. If made in Japan or some place like that you get a pretty hefty duty, might be 20% or more, can't remember last time I paid it. Then UPS will charge broker fees of about $30 on average.

If you buy something have it shipped and marked made in USA even if it isn't. Have it sent through Post office is cheapest, if they can list it as a sample or gift that is best (cheapest), or even have them list the value lower than it actually is.

JackHerer
12-19-2002, 12:36 AM
you should try some shops around the T.O. i am also looking for rims but i want to wait till this shitty weather is over. but if the price is right now i might be interested.

Originally posted by sammysir
Im sure I am asking this question for more than just one of us canucks. How the heck does the duty charges get applied from ordering stuff from the US? Im trying to figure out how much duty or charges or ways of getting around it....... or at least calculating it before i make my order.... any one out there with this supreme knowledge? heh

cheers

Gasp23
12-19-2002, 07:15 AM
BTW, UPS = United Parcel Smashers :D

ssvr6
12-19-2002, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Gasp23
BTW, UPS = United Parcel Smashers :D

Yeah you dumb ass!

:D

Some places will work with you. I used to gift wrap things and mail them to people. You know, a birthday present.

Steve