PDA

View Full Version : Turbo.. is it legal?

sirux
01-15-2011, 07:11 AM
Is having a aftermarket turbo in your car illegal? Especially if you don't tell your insurance company?
I'm in NB Canada

shanewdude
01-15-2011, 07:36 AM
In Ontario it's not, as long as you pass emissions testing every 2 years.

R34L-St4tus
01-15-2011, 07:48 AM
It depends, if your car is spewing black smoke from block to block then i say you wouldn't get very far.

sirux
01-15-2011, 07:55 AM
Well, I already invested in a AEM v2 intake and Apex-i WS2 exhaust, as far as I know.. both those things are obsolete whenever doing a turbo build.
The car has 90,000 km on it and runs smooth.
A turbo kit can be bought from the U.S for like $2,800 and a tune and labor could cost like $1,200 I believe?

japarossa
01-15-2011, 07:58 AM
Is having a aftermarket turbo in your car illegal? Especially if you don't tell your insurance company?
I'm in NB Canada
Its not illegal in NB to turbo your car. As for insurance it depends on who you are insured with, some companies such ad TD do not insure modified cars and will cancel your policy if they find out its modified. I'm with an insurance company that accepts modified cars from older drivers (over 25) with a clean abstract but they require an appraisal for comprehensive/collision insurance.

R34L-St4tus
01-15-2011, 08:00 AM
what kit you plan on getting? there's diy on here about installing a turbo, it could save you some cash plus you'll get experience.

japarossa
01-15-2011, 08:07 AM
Well, I already invested in a AEM v2 intake and Apex-i WS2 exhaust, as far as I know.. both those things are obsolete whenever doing a turbo build.
The car has 90,000 km on it and runs smooth.
A turbo kit can be bought from the U.S for like $2,800 and a tune and labor could cost like $1,200 I believe?

The turbo can be done alot cheaper than $2800 see the emusa thread. The tune is whats gonna kill ya there in NB, because first you are going to need to get kpro to tune it and thats going to cost you atleast $1000. These cars aren't cheap to mod. here in the maritimes mostly due to the lack of used aftermarket parts and customs/duty charges. I turbo'd mine last winter and start to finish it cost me about $3000 including kpro. I bought stuff used on here when it was available and spent alot of time shopping around. Would be nice to see another boosted ep in the maritimes.

sirux
01-15-2011, 08:08 AM
Greddy kit seems to be the best bang for the buck.
We do have a garage here but can't lift the car up or anything

ImportCustomx
01-16-2011, 08:14 AM
This thread should have been posted in the turbo section. please just keep an eye where you post. make sure it goes in the proper location. it helps keep things clean and organized..and if someone else from canada had this question...they can find it easy.

good question btw..lots of good feed back too. good thread.

when your done post up a pic or 30 in the members rides :D

dnrprojectsvp
01-18-2011, 12:06 AM
in the states, having 50 state legal aftermarket parts can still be illegal even tho they are emissions legal. for example, if you have a greddy exhaust which is legal. some states it is illegal to modify your exhaust. kinda stupid IMO but i guess u cant argue with the law.