PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Good Buy for an 02 ep3?

MyEP
01-16-2011, 03:17 PM
Looking to get another ep3 in the next few weeks. I found this on cragslist. Would this be a good buy?

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/2163876969.html

Stanz0r
01-16-2011, 04:26 PM
Price wise, it's not a bad deal. Just depends on the shape and condition of it as well as how bad the 2nd gear grind is.

I'm always leary of buying a modded car.

urthworm
01-16-2011, 05:17 PM
Seems like a pretty sweet deal to me.

Stanz0r that is the badest advatar ive seen yet! Haha what is that and where did it come from?

spartan
01-16-2011, 05:39 PM
That's dirt cheap! I think it could be salvaged.
I have almost 100k miles on my 05 ep and its still worth over $10k
If you do get it would you sell me that wing? PLEASE!?

Stanz0r
01-16-2011, 05:43 PM
Seems like a pretty sweet deal to me.

Stanz0r that is the badest advatar ive seen yet! Haha what is that and where did it come from?

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/786970/ will answer all your questions lol.

It's originally from here http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail.html

SIisaLowRydaEP3
01-16-2011, 06:47 PM
i agree with stanz about being leary of buying a modded car

cronicEP
01-16-2011, 06:54 PM
it's worth at least a look see...

Onasty
01-16-2011, 07:02 PM
should buy mine 11k

Paul 631
01-16-2011, 07:11 PM
Good luck passing a safety inspection with that "Racing" wheel, assuming it doesn't have a airbag...

BeaterEP
01-16-2011, 07:13 PM
leather race seats=bling
mugen wing=bling
cold air intake=performance (kinda)
projector headlights=bling
racing steering wheel and hub=bling
rota 17 inch torque rims=bling
air fuel gauge=...don't even know why that's there on a stock A3?
megan racing spings =inferior performance

be wary of this one.
My $.02

27rocks
01-16-2011, 07:35 PM
To the people that say be wary of a modded car... True!! But at least you know what kind of mods it has on it, so it basically will tell you how its put together. Not trying to bag on people that buy cheap stuff but we all know cheap stuff means crap. And i would rather know if anything is done to it that i can replace cheaply then buying a modded car that has been put back to stock. And just because it was put back to stock doesn't always mean its in good or reliable condition. If anything it could be hiding even further secrets. Just my opinion here....

If you are going to buy used i would suggest buying from a dealer or at least have the car looked over by someone that knows what to look for.

BeaterEP
01-17-2011, 04:07 PM
That's a really good point 27.
I guess I just worry when I see these "should I buy?" threads for modded EPs because in the back of my head, I'm wondering what kind of driver the owner was.
"FAWK yeah boii!! Got my Mugen spoiler on and a CAI gonna be vtakkin' all ova town!!! Bitches look out livin it 1/4 mile at a time nawm sayinnn?!?!"

Polish Thug
01-17-2011, 11:10 PM
It looks like a good deal but what worries me is the 2nd gear grind, it will get worse progressively and unless you know how to fix it yourself you will have to spend a few hundred to get it fixed. Just be weary because you never know how the owner treated it previously. If it was me I would look for an unmodified one, then hopefully you know that someone has not beat the ball bag off it and abused it.

BeaterEP
01-18-2011, 07:57 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty much with Polish.
There are plenty of "Granny"-driven EPs out there, and while the car being unmodded doesn't guarantee it wasn't ragged out, I just feel it's a lot more likely that someone who's in to tuning was beating on the engine/tranny more often.

At any rate, having a look at the car in person isn't a bad idea, if nothing else, you get ideas about what to look for in the EP chassis. :mbiggrin:

oldschoolimport
01-19-2011, 01:53 PM
I got almost double that last spring when my 02 with less than 80k got totaled... thats pretty cheap, and its not like an engine/trans swap would put you over book value for the car.